LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

SLP Loudmouth vs GMMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 05:19 PM

SLP Loudmouth vs GMMG

I understand the horsepower between the 2 about nil. My question is, is the gmmg work $350 more than the LM? I know this is all about personal preference. I have not hear how loud a LM is in person. I have heard it on ls1sounds.com. I am just not sure how well I can judge the volume there vs the volume in person riding in the car. Currently my '02 Formula has 3"x12" (rough estimate) echo tips on it. It is pretty loud, but I like it. I do not mind riding in it for 4 hours to San Antonio from Dallas. I did not install the echo tips, I am the second owner of the car. I believe the previous owner also put a flow master muffler on the car. Anyone have an idea on how this compares to a LM exhaust? If I really wanted to, I could buy the GMMG. I just do not know if I want to spend double what I would for the LM.

Currently I have stock headers, cats and y-pipe. I am looking at getting an aftermarket y-pipe. Something from www.lgmotorsports.com. Any opinions on how loud this would be?

Second question:
My car was lowered by the previous owner. It is about 3-4 inches off the ground. I am guessing it was lowered 1-3 inches. A new y-pipe maybe out of the question b/c of the clearance it would take away. Anyone know of y-pipes that can get around this?
Thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 06:05 PM

Re: SLP Loudmouth vs GMMG

the GMMG is a much more refined sound, deep and throaty like the old muscle cars.

the loud mouth is just....LOUD...raspy on top end.

most lowering kits will lower 1-1.3" and then there is the sportlines from eibach that lower it 2"
most aftermarket ypipes will take about 1-1.5" from your ground clearance right under the drivers seat. there is some frame sections that the pipe has to go under.

if you look on page 2 of my website in the sig i show the clearance issues and the area i'm talking about on my old Bassani ORP setup.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
I am looking at getting an aftermarket y-pipe.
If you ever plan on putting headers on your car, don't buy an aftermarket y-pipe that bolts up to the stock manifolds because you'll need a totally different one for headers. Just a little advice I wish I knew before I bought an SLP y-pipe.

I don't think the LM is as loud, raspy and annoying as most people say. One of my friends has it on his car and it sounds great, like an F-Body should.

Have you considered the TSP Rumbler? I love mine (sometimes it's too quiet though) and it's a very free-flowing exhaust that sounds very bassy and somewhat like a cross between an old muscle car and high-tech muscle. You can hear this exhaust from far away too.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:13 PM

I agree with Teke. The sound of the GMMG is that of the old throaty 1st. gens. The sound is awesome and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I ordered (Pacesetter) headers and catted-y for my '98Z, so I can't wait to hear the sound with the headers installed. It already turns heads when I am coming up the street.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:29 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I got my complete exhaust from headers back with installation for less than a GMMG catback costs. It wasn't worth it to me.

If you like the sound, get a loudmouth and have a chambered stick put in the I in place of the resonator or 2 shorter ones after the Y past the axel. Actually you could run nothing in the I and place 2 of any mufflers here and you're going to get the dual sound because you now have 2 mufflers, and you just saved a few hundred dollars to make your car faster.

For the price of the GMMG, you can even have TRUE DUALS out the back.

additional:
Just saw this post http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333711

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 01-18-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by SFB767
If you ever plan on putting headers on your car, don't buy an aftermarket y-pipe that bolts up to the stock manifolds because you'll need a totally different one for headers. Just a little advice I wish I knew before I bought an SLP y-pipe.

I don't think the LM is as loud, raspy and annoying as most people say. One of my friends has it on his car and it sounds great, like an F-Body should.

Have you considered the TSP Rumbler? I love mine (sometimes it's too quiet though) and it's a very free-flowing exhaust that sounds very bassy and somewhat like a cross between an old muscle car and high-tech muscle. You can hear this exhaust from far away too.
u need a different intake manifold? why?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:56 PM

he means exhaust manifolds...

unless you get shorty headers (pointless pretty much) you cannot reuse an aftermarket Ypipe for headers.

both midlenght and long tube headers require specific ypipes.

but an LS6 intake is a good mod on 98-00 cars
Old 01-18-2005, 09:10 PM

Like the GMMG
Old 01-19-2005, 08:33 AM

So, the TSP Rumbler is quiter than the LM? Funny, it almost looks like the same design, well atleast from the outside. I will have to look into this as well. I just dont think I am ready to spend $$ for the GMMG when I get can a CAI and a LM for the $$ of GMMG.

So, what are the numbers for the gains of the TSP Rumbler? Are they pretty comparable to the LM and GMMG?

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:37 AM

GMMG is the best sounding exhaust I've heard on an LS1 by far... It does cost a lot more than some systems, but there is a reason for that.. It sounds and performs great!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:00 AM

The difference between the Loud Mouth and the GMMG. Are we talking money or sound? The Loud Mouth might be cheaper, but does not the the quality sound of a GMMG.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:07 PM

I have head LM in person and the guy had an ory and LT's it sounded good nice loud throaty and muscular. Its only raspy on the top end if you dont have cats. This guy reved it up to 4k and it sounded like my old monte SS with 3" true duals. I liked it. Its the best bang for the buck 340 vs 700. I like how the GMMG sounds but there is no way i am paying 700 bucks for a catback.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:31 PM

I'd say go for the loudmouth, for the price and the sounds isn't as bad as most say it is. As for the question about the tsp rumbler, it has a bullet muffler that quiets it down and I've never heard it on an LS1. loudmouth is awesome though, although I like it best on LT1s, it still sounds sick on LS1s and even my v6 GMMG sounds nice but too expensive.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:21 PM

I have to say I looked really hard into getting a LM and I still think they complete everything an f-body should be. But, for price, sound, and performance...I must recommend the magnaflow catback. It has a nice refined sound and when in the high rpms it sounds mean. Add some LT's and you will have a sure enough wonderful sounding ls1. As for performance, I could definately tell after a week of driving with the catback. Also, it's stainless steel, but you probably knew that.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:55 PM

Loudmouth + LT's + ORY = Only way to go...LOUD!

Quick Reply: SLP Loudmouth vs GMMG