LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

SLP lid question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 07:20 PM

SLP lid question

I just put on an SLP lid and I was wondering why they have a hole on the driver's side of the lid. It came with a little cap I guess to plug it off, but what's the point of it? I tried forcing it on and it doesnt seem to want to go in without bending the edges.

Other than that it did seem to help throttle response and a smidge in power though and it looks good in there.

Jason
Old 08-31-2004, 07:24 PM

Re: SLP lid question

1. SLP sent you/you ordered the wrong year lid. The '00+ cars have that little hole on the side for their air hose, which the '98s and '99s don't have.

2. You're talking about the hole where the rubber grommet for the IAT sensor is supposed to go. If you leave that unplugged with the IAT hanging loose, your SES light may come on.

I hope this helped.

Last edited by SFB767; 08-31-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:50 PM

You have a 99 which doesn't use the air pump hose, that's why the lid came with a plug. You should install the plug or you could suck something unwanted (debri/water) into the air filter.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:58 PM

Ah that makes sense about the air pump hose. I guess I'll try to force the plug in there one more time then. Hopefully it'll go in.

BTW, when I had the MAF sensor off it had a little debris stuck on it, like grass, a small dead bug, etc. I was gonna descreen it while swapping the lid, but decided not to because of that debris maybe breaking one of those wires or getting into the engine. Anyone else have this? I don't live in a swamp or drive on any abnormally dirty roads.

Jason
Old 09-01-2004, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by mebanditws6

BTW, when I had the MAF sensor off it had a little debris stuck on it, like grass, a small dead bug, etc. I was gonna descreen it while swapping the lid, but decided not to because of that debris maybe breaking one of those wires or getting into the engine.
You probably already know but you don't want to touch those wires with your finger, if you can find Blue Shower spray that will help clean the wires without harming them. What brand of filter are you using?
Old 09-01-2004, 12:00 PM

I was careful not to touch those wires. I bought the car with a K@N in it, and recharged it soon after I bought it. I don't see how small bugs could get past any decent air filter though even if the K@N's don't quite filter as many things.

Jason
Old 09-01-2004, 12:13 PM

k&n filters are well known for not sealing very well around the inside of the lid. something about they were not designed specifically for these cars...they just were close enough

mine came with a small foam "gasket" if you will to help seal it. check and make sure you have that. if not you could have some space around the filter where debris gets in.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:44 PM

oh about that rubber hose what is that for? i noticed when i bought my ss it had one too? i tried following that hose and got lost with it where does it go? or hook up to and i noticed i had all kinds of little debree on the screen of my mafs too, i thought thats what the air filter was for? i hear people talking about desceening there mafs,man id be scared to,way to much debree can get in my engine!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:15 PM

I think he's talking about the IAT sensor... and it really is a pain in the *** to try to get that thing to fit without breaking everything and cursing so loud your neighbors can hear...
Old 09-01-2004, 07:27 PM

I was afraid you had a K&N air filter, even with the foam gasket ( you do have one don't you? ) they suck. Rid yourself of the K&N and get a Holley PowerShot air filter instead.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
and it really is a pain in the *** to try to get that thing to fit without breaking everything and cursing so loud your neighbors can hear...
Absolutely.

If you haven't installed your lid yet do this.

Install the rubber grommet in the SLP lid before you even put the IAT sensor through the grommet for the new lid. The IAT sensor is delicate and can't be broken. It's protected by a little rubber cage. In case something should bump it, that will break before the IAT does.

I suggested this because the rubber gromment is tough to get in the new lid (at least mine was), and if you try to shoehorn it in there with the IAT sensor already in the grommet, you may risk breaking it.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
I was afraid you had a K&N air filter, even with the foam gasket ( you do have one don't you? ) they suck. Rid yourself of the K&N and get a Holley PowerShot air filter instead.
How do the Holley's compare to the K@N's in flow and filtering ability?

Jason
Old 09-01-2004, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
I think he's talking about the IAT sensor... and it really is a pain in the *** to try to get that thing to fit without breaking everything and cursing so loud your neighbors can hear...
Ditto. Also there was a damn notch on the side of my MAF that kept the SLP airlid from going on all the way. The stock one had the neck of the lid molded to fit the notch. I had to use a grinding wheel and cut a notch into the slp lid to make it go on straight. I called SLP and no body knew anything about it. But I am staring at the damn stock lid neck that is not perfectly round so It can fit onto the notch. I cant believe they didnt modify the lid for that...
Old 09-02-2004, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by redzsmoked212
oh about that rubber hose what is that for? i noticed when i bought my ss it had one too? i tried following that hose and got lost with it where does it go? or hook up to
Electric A.I.R. pump that's under the fender just in front of the left front tire.