LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

SES Light on and off

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:19 PM

Exclamation SES Light on and off

Hey all... Was just wondering why my SES light comes on and then it eventually goes back off. I put O2 simulators in about two years ago b/c I bypassed the catalytic converters when I put my headers in. Is it a problem with the O2 sensors or should I be alarmed with something else? What I wanted to do is swap my O2 sensors with a buddy of mine who has a '02 SS. We both have the same set up, so it shouldn't be a problem. But since this is an intermitten problem, I don't think that it would solve anything. Should I take an Ohm meter and test the sim's or just fork out the money and buy new ones and hope that the problem will be resolved that way? TIA for those who reply!!
Old 05-09-2005, 08:20 PM

Re: SES Light on and off

you will probably go in circles when the light is out. when its back get someone to pull the code. it might very well have nothing to do with the sims at all. ive had issues with stock exhaust where ses comes and goes. something like a knock sensor.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:58 PM

I have had the same problem with my '98Z. With my headers I put extensions on my o2 sims. My SES light pops on and off too. But the car runs perfect. I did have it scanned and the o2 code did come up. Basicaly, I was told that it's the computer running the fuel lean and not to worry about it.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:33 PM

I guess it's just one of those annoying little things that happen once you start adding mod's to the motor... I know that my car runs a little lean, I can smell it, but a lot has to deal with not having cat's. I have the Borla with the 25% plate in for the time being, headers like a little back pressure. But anyways, so it really isn't anything to be too concerned about, correct....?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:41 PM

Do you have reformulated gas where you live? We do. Could be the culprit.

I have factory manifolds and cats on my 2000 Z and yet I get an SES code quite frequently. Same code always. Not sure the number but it's basically a "catalyst out of paramerter" code. Indicating the exhaust gasses are funky to the computer for some reason. Easily explained by Phoenix's B.S. "oxygenated" gasoline formulated to control emmissions.

You should be able to scan the code even if the light is now off.

The code is static (doesn't flash) and is very ignorable as long as the car is running fine....forget anout it. Don't waste money on new 02s'.