LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Serious Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 03:32 PM

Serious Help Needed

Ok, this problem with my 2000 Z28 has been happening ever since an accident I had about 2 months ago. It has gotten worse over time and now it’s so bad that I don’t want to drive it anywhere.

Two months ago I spun around and jumped a curb resulting in 2 bent wheels (both right side), one flat tire (right front), and a bent spindle arm (right front). I had my wheels replaced along with my tire and spindle arm. The car seemed to be back 100% after a good alignment until I started to have a problem with my speedometer when going around right hand corners while accelerating. The speedometer needle would jump to 200mph and stay like that for a little bit, the radio/cd would also crackle and jump while this was happening. Lately it has been getting worse. On some right hand corners (more than when it first started to happen) it would do the same but for longer periods of time. The warning lights would also come on as if I just turned the key to the on position (airbag, abs, etc). I found one way to get it to stop freaking out was to make a somewhat sharp left hand turn. Then it would go back to normal until another right hand corner.

Today I went out to go to school and the warning lights, tach, computer mileage display, and radio are not functioning. No sign of life from the computer except the speedo and the 4 gauges on the bottom work fine. The car drives fine but I am afraid the computer is going to go on me and I am not going to be able to drive or start it up.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is happening. I really don’t want to pay $$ for the dealer to do it but will if I have to. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:58 PM
rwb

Get underneath the car and look at the electrical connections on the trans. Also check the connections at the computer to see if any wires were pinched from your little mishap.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:26 PM

I would suspect a damaged battery. It could be shorting out inside. It might even be loose and loosing connection or touching something else to the terminals when it moves. The symptoms sound very similar to those typical of a dying battery except for that it seems to happen more on right turns. Keep in mind that a simple parts store test might still say it's good because it won't be getting lateral force during the test.

If not the battery then I'd just check to make sure that all of the primary connections are good in the wiring harness.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:49 PM

thanks for the help guys. I will take out the pcm and battery and check them out and bolt them back up as tight as possible.

keep the ideas coming
Old 11-14-2003, 05:46 PM

I went out and worked on my car today. I opened up the hood and the battery tray was broken on one side, closest to headlight (battery was loose). There are wires running right by this and the battery has been sliding around. I inspected the wires and none are cut or worn. The computer is working fine and shows no signs of any problems.

I checked the fuse panel inside the car and the blue #15 fuse was blown for the “power accy”. I replaced the fuse with a new one and everything was back to normal (radio working, warning lights on dash working, tach working, etc) but on my way back I made a right hand corner and the speedo needle again jumped and radio crackled. I parked then started it up again and once again everything stopped working. I checked the same fuse and it was blown.

Can the battery sliding around cause the wires to crimp and blow the fuse? Or could it be something else. The bottom of the battery tray was pretty scratched up and plastic dust was covering it. This is my line of reasoning so far. I am going to order a new battery tray and replace the fuse when I install it, hopefully it will fix it for good.

Any other ideas?

Anyone know the part # for the battery tray?