LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Safe to go to 15K Oil Change Intervals with M1 Extended Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Safe to go to 15K Oil Change Intervals with M1 Extended Performance?

Synthetic Blend Oil every 3K - Where I started and went to...
Mobil 1 every 3K - did that for half a year and went to...
Mobil 1 every 6K W/Filter change / oil topoff every 3K - No problems so far so I decided to try...
Mobil 1 Extended Performance every 15K W/K&N Filter - Havn't started yet, not planning on changing filter before 15K mile either... Does this sound like a good idea? Definately can save me money.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:09 PM

I grabbed this from my stickey.

GhostZ28.... posted An engine oil analysis thread.
Thanx for the heads up. Some interestion material in here!
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468712

Originally Posted by GhostZ28
I'm not sure if there are many people who haven't seen this, but it will definately be a help to those who think changing your oil every 3k miles is a GOOD thing. A guy in the general tech section was convinced he was doing his engine a favor by changing the oil every 2,500-3,000 miles. I think this has come up on the LSx tech before but there seems to be alot of new members posting here and those who havent seen this will be just as surprised as I was.

All tests have been done on a stock 2002 LS1 powered Camaro Z28

Mobil 1 study: http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
Amsoil study: http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html
Honepage: http://neptune.spacebears.com/index.html

This oil analysis study of major synthetic oil brands shows conclusively that it is better for an engine to leave synthetic oils (at least Mobil 1 and Amsoil) in the engine for at least 6-9k miles while periodically topping-off the oil and changing the filter around 4-5k miles.

This would also be a great thing to add to the sticky about engine specs. It will save people alot of money anually.
Basically, it's ok to NOT change your synthetic oil every 3k miles, btu DO change the FILTER every 3k miles. They ran the test to 15k some-odd miles and changed the filter every 3k miles or so.

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 03-09-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:47 PM

I would not waste the $ on the K&N oil filter..
Old 03-09-2007, 09:13 PM

Wait, how do you change the filter, but not the Oil??? Do you pour the oil back in? Seems quite retarded to do that, why not just change them both at the same time around 7-8k or even every 10k miles? You would save even more money that way right?

If a filter only lasts about 3000miles, then what good is it? Shouldn't we have advanced filters that can last as long as our oil? Perhaps somethign a bit bigger would do I guess if it can hold more dirt/grime/generalcrap you don't want in there.

I think a test of this type should be redone, but to test the filter, not the oil.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:00 PM

Umm.... you unscrew the old filter, screw the new filter on and top off the oil to the full mark. Pretty easy huh ?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Retired

Don't be a cheap ***.

Use a full synthetic like Mobil 1 and change it every 5000 miles.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
Wait, how do you change the filter, but not the Oil??? Do you pour the oil back in? Seems quite retarded to do that, why not just change them both at the same time around 7-8k or even every 10k miles? You would save even more money that way right?

If a filter only lasts about 3000miles, then what good is it? Shouldn't we have advanced filters that can last as long as our oil? Perhaps somethign a bit bigger would do I guess if it can hold more dirt/grime/generalcrap you don't want in there.

I think a test of this type should be redone, but to test the filter, not the oil.
Do0d... Read the links in the quote on my other post. They DID test the filter. You can basically test the filter and its efficiency by measuring the contaminants in the oil.

The contaminants about doubled at 3k miles, they changed the filter at 12k miles and the contaminants went back down, go figure. Scroll down in the llink to see graphs.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

As by the definition of a filter:
any substance, as cloth, paper, porous porcelain, or a layer of charcoal or sand, through which liquid or gas is passed to remove suspended impurities or to recover solids.
Just change the filter, and it will remove the crap from your oil. The oil still maintains the qualities of a lubricant, but is cleaned by the filter. And yea, buy a good synthetic. It lasts longer and can withstand more abuse under high temperatures and pressures while maintaining it's viscosity.

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 03-10-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:30 PM

what about the mobile one 15k filter?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by DonutMachine
what about the mobile one 15k filter?
I would just replace the filter too at 3K intervals. They are not very expensive in the first place.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:41 PM

"Wait, how do you change the filter, but not the Oil??? Do you pour the oil back in? Seems quite retarded to do that, why not just change them both at the same time around 7-8k or even every 10k miles? You would save even more money that way right?"

you DO KNOW that the oil doesn't drain out when you pull the filter...only what was in the filter and directly over it...basically about 1qt...

hence the "top off" step
Old 07-09-2007, 07:38 PM

i wont do that to my car, the money that im gonna save now is going to be used to fix the engine for wear, due to oil breaking down, especially in the summer months.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kraest
Don't be a cheap ***.

Exactly. I do 6 months or every 2-3k miles on the Z, and 3k miles on the Avalanche and the wifeys car. Mobil 1.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kraest
Don't be a cheap ***.

Exactly, I change mine every 6k and the filter every 3k. Don't be cheap. I use Royal Purple In my silverado. It is in the every gearbox except the trans. I cant believe how much quieter my truck got after putting it in.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 AM

is my oil no good? I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance mixed with Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. Also using Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter. Is this oil change not good for 15K or at least 12K
Old 07-10-2007, 04:24 PM

I hear that lucas oil stabilizer was no good, infact your oil is better off WITHOUT it than WITH it... CHANGE ASAP...and NEVER add that crap - it causes your oil to foam up under high RPMS...

So far I've gone 7K miles on M1 Extended perfomance without any problems, although it burned a quart of oil off - however my motor isn't any louder than normal nor is there any unusual sounds and the performance is still up to par...

Quick Reply: Safe to go to 15K Oil Change Intervals with M1 Extended Performance?