LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Repair manual for Z28 1999

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 02:45 AM

Question Repair manual for Z28 1999

Hi, I live in the UK so getting parts and advice is difficult.
When I bought my Z28, a few years ago and also bought a repair manual but the only one I could find at the time was a Haynes one that was for Camaros and Firebirds 1993 thru 1998, the problem is that there are a lot of differences with the 1999, I have looked on the internet and I can see that they now do a new manual that does go up to 2000 and I can get it through Amazon.
The question is, should I buy this book or is there a better one, or could I buy a CD version?
Old 04-24-2005, 06:52 AM

Re: Repair manual for Z28 1999

I think your best best would be to contact a Chevrolet dealership here in the U.S. and ask them to order you an owner's manual for a 1999 Camaro.

I would say with the price of the manual and the postage, it should be about $50-60.

I also have the Haynes manual and I think it's useless.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:32 AM

An owners manual won't tell you anything. A repair manual for the car is the best way to go. It tells exactly how to fix a problem/remove anything you need to. Theres a place called Helms ( www.helms.com ) ?I'm not sure do a search for helms or helms manual on google. The haynes manual works but the Chiltons manual is better and the actual GM repair manual is best.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:30 AM

Unhappy Re: Repair manual for Z28 1999

Originally Posted by Kataklysm
An owners manual won't tell you anything. A repair manual for the car is the best way to go. It tells exactly how to fix a problem/remove anything you need to. Theres a place called Helms ( www.helms.com ) ?I'm not sure do a search for helms or helms manual on google. The haynes manual works but the Chiltons manual is better and the actual GM repair manual is best.
Thanks for the reply, I found the 2 sites but they dont seem to do repair manuals or CDs for my Z28 1999
www.helminc.com
www.chiltonsonline.com
Have you got any other ideas I might try
Old 04-24-2005, 11:39 AM

helminc has them - search for item "GMP99F" it covers all models. They also sell the CD's but evidently their out of stock right now. Personally I'd rather have the paper manual...and it's a lot cheaper. You should also be able to get one through your dealer.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:44 AM

The Helm manuals are what you want. They are incredibly thorough and complete. Try this link:
F-body docs

They are $135, but well worth it.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2005, 03:07 PM

Thumbs up Re: Repair manual for Z28 1999

Originally Posted by nateh
The Helm manuals are what you want. They are incredibly thorough and complete. Try this link:
F-body docs

They are $135, but well worth it.

Good luck!
Thanks I could not find it but $135 is a bit too steep for me, I guess I will have to settle for the Haynes manual even if it isn't as good
Old 04-25-2005, 04:06 PM

Hi,
If you need any help I have got full set of factory manuals for 99 z28,I can copy and fax pages u need(theyre too big to do all)I live in Manchester UK
email alz28@tiscali.co.uk or call mob 07890097375 ask for Al
Old 04-25-2005, 07:54 PM

I bought a complete set of factory repair manuals for my 98 on ebay for 37 bucks. Do a search with "Camaro Manual 1999" as the key words. Lot better than 135 for the Helm (same basic thing).

That said, all the info you need is on the internet. For example, my Camaro threw a code a couple months ago, I looked it up in my manual. It said secondary air injector bank 2. Had a long troubleshooting procedure.

I did a search on the code here and on LS1.com and got the same info, even found the troubleshooting procedure that someone posted in a thread. But much better were the guys that said most of the time it was the air check valve on the passenger side, what it looked like, where it was located, where to buy it, what it cost, and R & R tips. So I needn't have bothered with the manual.

Try doing searches here, on ls1.com, ls2.com, ls1tech.com and you'll most likely find anything you need. If not, just ask and you'll get steered in the right direction.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ALZ28
Hi,
If you need any help I have got full set of factory manuals for 99 z28,I can copy and fax pages u need(theyre too big to do all)I live in Manchester UK
email alz28@tiscali.co.uk or call mob 07890097375 ask for Al
Thanks ALZ28 for the offer but I have ordered the Haynes manual from Amazon, it should arrive in the next few days.
I see you have a borla catback, I have just ordered the variable version, what do you think of it, some say it drones a bit around 2500 rpm?
Did you fit the headers at the same time or after the catback and how much difference did they make, to the permormance and sound?
Do you get your parts from USAutomotive or somewhere cheaper?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:15 PM

If you still want an owners manual (even though it's not for repairs), you can get a .pdf copy @ http://shbox.com/pdf/manuals.html
Old 04-28-2005, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by UK_chevyV8
Thanks ALZ28 for the offer but I have ordered the Haynes manual from Amazon, it should arrive in the next few days.
I see you have a borla catback, I have just ordered the variable version, what do you think of it, some say it drones a bit around 2500 rpm?
Did you fit the headers at the same time or after the catback and how much difference did they make, to the permormance and sound?
Do you get your parts from USAutomotive or somewhere cheaper?
Hi UK,
The only variables on mine are the blanking plates to run thru silencer or not,I left them out but probably wont pass mot like this. The SLP LT headers really
make a big difference but you need the freeflow cats & Y pipe to open it up.
Yes its loud at high revs but bearable cruising.Come and listen!
I import all my oen parts coz most dealers over here are still charging £ as $ + VAT then Shipping to you. If you want a fair price for parts and service contact Ernie Wright on 0161 344 0054 tell him Alan the drag racer sent you..
If u need any advice on fitting stuff ring me as I do all my own(more than is on list)
cheers AL
Old 04-28-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ALZ28
I import all my oen parts coz most dealers over here are still charging £ as $ + VAT then Shipping to you.
Hi ALZ28
It would have been nice to have a listen but I live in Kent (250 miles away), furthest north I have been this was for the easter races at Santa Pod.
I paid £520 + £10 delivery + VAT for the borlacatback from USAutomotive, do you think thats a good price?
How much will the rest cost (headers, freeflow cat and Y pipe)?
If you replace the the blanking plates on the silencer will it pass the MOT?
Have you got any pictures on the internet fo your Camaro?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:41 AM

Smile Re: Repair manual for Z28 1999

Hi UK
We were racing at easter in our standard road Z28 in Sportsman ET coz my car is in pieces again, I hope to be ready for Euro finals in Sept.We will be there end of May for Main Event in road car again, in Sportsman pits(past finish line) come for a chat/beer.
I paid about that delivered in $ but that was 4 years ago
Go to slponline.com and speak to Don Stellhorn about headers etc.
Should pass MOT as is going thru silencer.
Look on eurodragster.com may be still some pics from last years racing on there, under either Linda Platt(I'me on crewing for now) or Team Rainy City Lightning in Sportsman.
Originally Posted by UK_chevyV8
Hi ALZ28
It would have been nice to have a listen but I live in Kent (250 miles away), furthest north I have been this was for the easter races at Santa Pod.
I paid £520 + £10 delivery + VAT for the borlacatback from USAutomotive, do you think thats a good price?
How much will the rest cost (headers, freeflow cat and Y pipe)?
If you replace the the blanking plates on the silencer will it pass the MOT?
Have you got any pictures on the internet fo your Camaro?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:40 PM

Talking Re: Repair manual for Z28 1999

Hi ALZ28, Was that you in the blue Z28, that did a 14.170 @ 101.65 on the Sunday?
Not sure yet but I may come up for the end of may Main Event, just need to get the axel fixed first.
The wife decided that I was short of cash so I will just get the catback for now, I called USAutomotive for a price on the rest of the system but they quoted £ for $ otherwise I may have gone for a "Y" pipe and a pair of fast flow cats.

Quick Reply: Repair manual for Z28 1999