LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Rear End Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 11:12 AM

Unhappy Rear End Troubles

Ok, first of all. I am an idiot. Here is the story.

It was time to change out the rear end fluid in the 98, so, I broke out the shop manual and checked out the job. Didn't look too hard so I got it all, new fluid, positrac additive and, new Fel-Pro gasket. It takes me about 2.5 hours in my garage, but otherwise goes fine.

Fast Forward one week.

I am on date with my wife (going to Trulucks on Mckinney for any Dallas people) and I get this popping noise that I can feel through my arm that is resting on the console. Well, I am about a mile away from a Chevy dealer so I limp over there; popping every now and then the whole way They are about to close up for the day, but graciously put the car on a lift, and we find that the differential has been leaking. They then proceed to tell me that I need a new rear end for $3300 This seems a little extreme, so I am having them "service" the rear end, which means redoing the job I did (pulling cover off and putting in new fluid) for the princly sum of $89. The shop manager guy did not come up with this idea, but said "that is what I would do" after I mentioned it. hmmmmm This guy also told me I had failed to reinstall the fill plug, which seemed strange, and when we walked under the lift, there it was. Double hmmmmm.....

Anyway, I need help from you guys. What was likely making the popping noise? Can it be repaired? Any idea on a fair price for the work? Recommended parts or vendors? I am at a loss and I sure don't have the several thousand dollars to spend on this repair, and I don't trust the Chevy dealership any farther than I can throw them.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bullman

Last edited by bullman911; 06-15-2003 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:20 PM

More than likely the poping sound that you were hearing were the posi clutches binding up from the lack of oil. When the sound occured did it seem to do mostly when turning or slight turning if so this is probably it, also does it still do it even after the service and you may be able to get away with adding more than just one tube of posi additive I know it only recommends one but with the damage that might of occured this may be your only option. Another thing you more than likely do not need the whole rear end just the posi overhauled (new clutches) most people will not do this because of the complication involved.
Hope this helps.
Sorry about the long post.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:37 PM

Cool

Hawkeyes,

Man, that is good news! I could just order a new posi (torsen, auburn etc) and have that installed, and bypass overhauling the clutches, right?

Yes, it would pop only slightly while going in a straight line, but was less happy while turning. It was also worse under load than coasting. Hopefully, it all adds up.

Thanks,

Bullman

Last edited by bullman911; 06-15-2003 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:08 PM

Yes I forgot that there are two different type of posi's one is the torsen and the auburn how you tell the differnce is that the auburn has spider gears and the torsen has helical gears instead of spider gears. You might need to check to see which one you have and see if they are interchangeable before you go out and buy one to replace the bad one that you now have. Other than that yes that is what you can do. Good Luck
Old 06-15-2003, 11:07 PM

Hawkeyes,

I think the differentials changed between 98 and 99, but I forget which kind mine came with. I am sure there will be several vendors and maybe even the Chevy dealer , who will be able to help with that.

The car was only driven a little over a mile with the noise, so I am praying a little new fluid will fix it right up.

I hope to get the car back tomorrow and will have my fingers crossed. I will post again, and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Bullman
Old 06-16-2003, 03:07 AM

on a 98 unless you have an SS you have the auburn clutch style. with the SS you could have either.

did you put the limited slip additive in when you changed the fluid?
Old 06-16-2003, 10:20 AM

**Update**

Spoke to the dealership this morning. It turns out, torque arm came loose. Weird. In addition, the differential was leaking from the front, so it is possible that I did not screw up the install. Looks like I might have my car back today. Yes, I used to limited slip additive and Mobil 1 sythetic.

I am feeling a little less like an idiot now.

Bullman
Old 06-16-2003, 01:10 PM

Leaking from the front of the diff? That means your pinion seal is leaking.

Want to see what caused my pinion seal leak? Click Me
Old 06-16-2003, 01:26 PM

Talking

**Final Update**

Got the car back, and it is fine. I think the dealer basically breakes even on the cars, and makes it up on the service dept. Kind of like razor blades.

Anyway, I decided to deal with the pinion seal leak for now. I heard most cars will leak a little bit from there anyway.

Ahhh, it feels good to have my car back.

BTW, turns out the job I did was leaking wee bit too, but there was still a lot of fluid in the differential when they "serviced" it.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Bullman
Old 06-17-2003, 12:35 AM

glad to see u didnt pay the $3,300 for a new 10 bolt!!!
man, what a rip off!!!!