LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Ram-air experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 08:44 PM

Ram-air experience

Man i hope this is the right forum, but i don't think it belongs in Forced Induction.

I'd like to hear any and all experience that people have had here with under-box ram-air kits. Which is the best bang for the buck? What do you notice off the bat? Is an actual kit better than the Ram-air mod? Any problems you've seen or heard of?

For example, i've heard that the kits jut out in front of the radiator, causing higher coolant temps.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:18 PM

Re: Ram-air experience

someone on the board (wanna say al) tested the SSRA at the track. he made runs, then removed the lower scoop making it like the FTRA and the SLP cai. it ran a consistent tenth slower, and backed that up by putting it back on and gaining that back.

i can slide my hand allmost to the top of the radiator...BETWEEN the ssra scoop and the radiator, so it doesn't interfer much.
i noticed no problems with cooling...that's in south florida!!

for $200 i think it's a GREAT mod, it functions as a standard cai (like the FTRA and SLP) at slower speeds, and a more effective ram air at higher.
pull at highway speeds is great!

only downside is it gets your air cleaner dirty fast. but i have a K&N...so a quick rinse every car wash and it takes care of it.

some say you can suck water in and hydrolock. but you'd have to hit some DEEP water fast to do that. i've driven in blinding hurricane storm rain, and actually looked under the air filter and saw no water.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:46 PM

Lower scoop?

Gutting the airbox, helps a bit doesn't it?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:34 PM

I've heard of the SSRA, looks pretty good. Have you sealed your air box?

Did you do any dyno runs after you installed it? What gains should i expect? around 10hp like the website says?

Hypothetically, if i drove through a 6 inch deep puddle, or something deep enough to submerge the scoop at a very slow speed, would i be alright?

And how easy is it to remove the lower part?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:51 PM

I dont know how the SSRA is rigged up, but i would think that, hypothetically, if it were perfectly sealed, maybe it would draw up water like a straw, lol. i did the free ram air mod, and i cant tell you about the specific gains or whatever, but i can tell outside air is getting there because of all the bugs and pebbles that are in the aircleaner. So its function is sort of proved.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:53 PM

if and when i'm getting a scoop, mesh is going in it very quickly.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:50 PM

i have the k&N kit, with the weird lookin air filter, if i got the ram air scoop, would it still work the same, or does it really need to be a closed off lid
Old 05-11-2005, 06:38 AM

my airbox is sealed...can't tell you if THAT makes any difference or not

the gutted airbox (or free-ram-air mod) does work, but nothing compared to the SSRA. and you have to gut the airbox anyway to install the SSRA.

no ram-air kit is going to show anything on a dyno....you're not moving...
but track and road tests seem to indicate that it is every bit of the 10hp listed.

there is a metal support bracket right in the middle of the mounting location for the SSRA. to get around it the SSRA has 2 pieces, they meet at that brace. it actually fits around the brace, with some space around it. so the scoop is not 100% sealed, so as long as you go slow, water won't get sucked in. there isn't enough suction to pull water up the 14x2" scoop, that would take ALOT of suction.
water getting in would require you to hit deep water at speed and suck up the spray.

pulling the lower scoop off is as easy as removing 5 or 6 small screws that hold the scoop against the bottom of the front bumper. the top just slides into the other section of the scoop which is held in place under the air box.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:22 PM

What about clearance? I've seen some pictures that place it slightly higher than the lip, would it hit a curb if i pulled in too far? What about those valley driveways? Would it scratch?

And also, would i have to drill holes to mount the scoop to my bumper?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:18 PM

what happens when ur parking at autozone(lol)? in mycase, the bumper, scrapes for half and inch, then just goes over it while scraping, so after i thought, what if i had the tubing down there? it would have been gonel, if not damaging where it hooks up or anything else there, so its a good idea, and works great from what i hear, just make sure u think before you do, me personally dont want somthin hanging from the car, cus when im getting away from someone, i scrape alot, when im in a hurry, or, in an area i dont know, i start scraping alot of stuff, and im not even lowered yet, so i sugjest getting a true ram air hood.

the SS i like, but think about it, it has to curl backdown, you lose a hp or two, the ulra Z hood is a perfect idea. air comes down into the throttle body rather then curving backand around.

id have to say, if u want the most RAM AIR setup, that would be the way.

or **** better yet, take off your hood.... just kidding
Old 05-11-2005, 07:30 PM

forgive my ignorance but what is the SSRA
Old 05-11-2005, 08:35 PM

SSRA....super sucker ram air

i've only scraped my scoop ONCE, and that was on a sidewalk, not a parking stop-block-thingy.

over all the parking blocks and curbs i've seen and pulled up to, there is nearly 1" of clearance.

no holes to drill...they are small self tapping screws...maybe 3/4" long...not even.

here is an eye level shot of the scoop (up on a rack), you can see it is not all that low. not as low as teh air dam, and i rarely scrape that.

as far as i'm concerned...if you pull up and over curbs far enough to hit it...you deserve to. i mean...it's not like the front wheels need to touch the crub

sorry...forgot the pic

Last edited by teke184; 05-12-2005 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:55 PM

...pic...ture? Send me a PM perhaps?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by CrabhartZ28
...pic...ture? Send me a PM perhaps?
Tried the web......site? In his signature?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
Tried the web......site? In his signature?
Where would we be without your insight?

Yeah the pics in your cardomain look nice, I was looking on the offical site; they also sell a metal, only scoop part. Seems to contradict the point of their earlier kit, but I assume it could attach to any underbox cai?

I'm really liking the SSRA, but that price angers me.

Quick Reply: Ram-air experience