LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Questions About Stall Converter and Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 06:51 PM

Lightbulb Questions About Stall Converter and Rear End

I will be adding a stall converter to my 2001 Z28 A4 in the very near future. I have a few questions regarding the driveability of a stall converter equipped car, as well as a question regarding the stock rear. First, is daily driving affected in terms of gas mileage and street manners? By street manners I mean is the car more difficult to live with when a higher stall is used? What is the ideal stall speed for a daily driven car that also sees occasional track action? What brand is considered the best in terms of value/performance? Second, if I was to floor the car to pass someone will my street tires simply go up in smoke or can I get a reasonable amount of traction? My final question is in regards to the rear end. With slicks and a stall I have been told my rear end is in big trouble. My mods are in my sig.............am I pushing enough power to break my rear end at the track with slicks and a stall? If so, what can I do to strengthen the rear? Is a different rear the only solution or is are there alternatives? i understand this post is very long, but to those of you who took the time to answer or simply read........Thanks!!!!
Old 06-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Banned

gas milage will drop a few MPG in the city. highway will be uneffected provided you get a lockup converter (which it sounds like you want)

i wouldn't go higher than 3200 for the street personally. I'm going 3400 but my car i a weekend fun car

I would go with NOTHING but Vigilanti. I've heard of everything else blowing but them. www.cmotorsports.com has a pretty good price on them last time i checked

You have enough power to blow the rear stock. My friend worked at a drag strip and he was telling me aobt this guy who came in with an almost brand new- competely stock- SS with slicks and a 6spd. He lifted the front tires off the ground. Obviuosly you can break the rear stock. I suggest a TA cover for now. Auto is pretty forgiving on a stock rear.