LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

questions about installing my B&M trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 12:50 AM

questions about installing my B&M trans cooler

today i got my B&M trans cooler and i have a few questions before installing it. First which trans line on the radiator is the oil out of trans? ( top or bottom?) and for the second trans line which one is the oil return to trans? (top or bottom?) iam looking at the trans cooler theres two top ports left and right, which is which? both are not labeled and i don't know what is what. where exactly do i install the cooler lines? do i splice in into the existing lines to the radiator? does anyone have any pics or diagrams to install a trans cooler? also where is a good location to mount the trans cooler? in front of the radiator? any other places that would be a good place to mount the cooler?

Last edited by zo6vette; 03-23-2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:08 AM

Re: questions about installing my B&M trans cooler

Originally Posted by zo6vette
today i got my B&M trans cooler and i have a few questions before installing it. First which trans line on the radiator is the oil out of trans? ( top or bottom?) and for the second trans line which one is the oil return to trans? (top or bottom?) iam looking at the trans cooler theres two top ports left and right, which is which? both are not labeled and i don't know what is what. where exactly do i install the cooler lines? do i splice in into the existing lines to the radiator? does anyone have any pics or diagrams to install a trans cooler? also where is a good location to mount the trans cooler? in front of the radiator? any other places that would be a good place to mount the cooler?
almost ALWAYS the trans line OUT of the cooler (back to heat source) is lower.

fluid should do this:
Trans---> stock cooler ----> aux cooler ----> Trans.

You want to use as little hose as humanly possible and as few bends as you can. this usually means mounting "sideways" so you pump into the aux TOC from the side

=========----------- <-------IN
|||||||
|||||||
|||||||
|||||||
|||||||

=========---------- <--------OUT
Old 03-23-2005, 02:33 AM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.

=========----------- <-------IN
|||||||
|||||||
|||||||
|||||||
|||||||
=========---------- -------->OUT

corrected your "out" arrow for you...

far as the lines where they attach to the tranny... i believe the top one goes into the tranny and the bottom one is out...

not POSITIVE tho
Old 03-24-2005, 01:01 AM

|_____|
_____
_____

I also have one i wanna put on my car, Just making sure, so then the trans cooler is facing me up ward. So the left port is in and the right port is out?

Last edited by whataretheodds; 03-24-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:17 AM

I was looking at one guys formula with the trans cooler and he just had the bottom trans line spliced in and connected on the radiator and I looked at the top trans line on the radiator and it wasn't touched, so then you just splice into just the bottom trans line on the radiator and leave the top one alone?

Also I am alittle confused of which lines do I connect to on my trans cooler left and right. Which hose do I connect to the transcooler when the cooler is facing towards me? Does it matter on the cooler from In and out? So when I connect and splice one of the cooler lines to the bottom of the radiator Where do I connect it to the cooler? Left or right port? Which goes where?

Last edited by zo6vette; 04-11-2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:49 AM

I just did this with the help of a friend a week ago. The instructions tell you which line is the feed and which is the return coming out of the tranny. If you follow them through the k-member and around the front of the motor, you can see which ones go where. When we did it, it looked like the feed went in the bottom of the car's radiator and the return came out of the top. I tripple checked it because that didn't make much sense to me, but I was pretty sure I had it right so I went ahead with the install. We mounted the cooler with the fittings on top (because that's the only way it would fit with the super sucker), unbolted the top line out of the radiator, and connected the coolers fittings to the unbolted line and the radiator using the fittings, hoses, and clamps provided with the kit. Re-attached the super sucker, lid, bellow and sensors and we were good to go. 500 miles later no leaks and no problems. It's fairly easy...just take your time and double check your work.