LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Question for all the M6 guys!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 02:33 PM

I just grip it 'n' rip it.

That's how I learned, no special technique or anything...just shift as fast as you can (using the clutch). It's worked for me, I shift fast and have not had a problem with the T56, in this car or my '96.

Magyver, I have no problem spinning into 2nd or chirping 3rd...and trust me, I'm not shifting even remotely slow.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by 96SFLZ
I just grip it 'n' rip it.

That's how I learned, no special technique or anything...just shift as fast as you can (using the clutch). It's worked for me, I shift fast and have not had a problem with the T56, in this car or my '96.

Magyver, I have no problem spinning into 2nd or chirping 3rd...and trust me, I'm not shifting even remotely slow.
Thanks Aaron, that's what I was thinking too! By any chance, you going to the track tonight?
Old 01-15-2003, 02:45 PM

Arrow

Originally posted by therealmagyver
You are super slow believe it or not. The reason you burning 2nd is your engine speed wasn't matching the trans close enough. Think about it....automatics with stall converters you can't beat shifting them and they don't chirp, but get good numbers at the track consistently. Minimize the burn and you will get better times on the quarter mile.
I don't think you have that quite right. If you have a car that's an automatic (with or without a stall converter) but with a good shift kit, they will chirp into 2nd, and sometimes into 3rd as well since the transmission doesn't allow for much (or any) slippage between the gears...................it's either in one, or the other. This is the same as speed shifting. You're not allowing the clutch to disengage very long, then once you're in the next gear and engage the clutch, the power hits the wheels again (with the RPM's back lower in their power band) and you get that "chirp" on the shift. An automatic without a shift kit allows slippage during the shifts, which will then not cause any "chirp" on the shift, and it's also wasted time and energy (which results in slower ET's). Same deal with shifting a standard.......minimize the time and slippage between each of the gears (hence "speed shifting" and hardly clutching) and you'll get quicker times.

As far as "speed" shifting, or "power" shifting.........I think they're just lay-man's terms that don't exactly have a definition (ie: use clutch, don't use clutch) and I wouldn't worry too much about which term to use. Just so long as we all know what we're talking about.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Loudmouth LS1
Thanks Aaron, that's what I was thinking too! By any chance, you going to the track tonight?
Yeah I was thinking that too until my boy who I would consider better then me since he's been doing this for a number of years to be better than me. Runs 12.5 all throttle on a 95 LT1 at the track and did all the work on his car by himself. Stroked motor, ported heads, cam, etc. The only thing holding back from hitting solid 11s are his tires. Runs with drags, but he knows with slicks he can and will break the rear end easily. Well he got in my car and showed me the deal. He prefers to punch the clutch to the floor, but before the clutch hits the bottom the shift is outta gear going into the next gear. 2nd and 3rd chirped, but no spin like how I spin em. Well I am not expert by any means, but I hang with the big dogs at the track so I'm learning a lot.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Capn Pete
I don't think you have that quite right. If you have a car that's an automatic (with or without a stall converter) but with a good shift kit, they will chirp into 2nd, and sometimes into 3rd as well since the transmission doesn't allow for much (or any) slippage between the gears...................it's either in one, or the other. This is the same as speed shifting. You're not allowing the clutch to disengage very long, then once you're in the next gear and engage the clutch, the power hits the wheels again (with the RPM's back lower in their power band) and you get that "chirp" on the shift. An automatic without a shift kit allows slippage during the shifts, which will then not cause any "chirp" on the shift, and it's also wasted time and energy (which results in slower ET's). Same deal with shifting a standard.......minimize the time and slippage between each of the gears (hence "speed shifting" and hardly clutching) and you'll get quicker times.

As far as "speed" shifting, or "power" shifting.........I think they're just lay-man's terms that don't exactly have a definition (ie: use clutch, don't use clutch) and I wouldn't worry too much about which term to use. Just so long as we all know what we're talking about.
Yeah I believe they chirp, but spin...I don't think they do or at least haven't heard anyone saying they do.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:35 PM

Yeah I was thinking that too until my boy who I would consider better then me since he's been doing this for a number of years to be better than me. Runs 12.5 all throttle on a 95 LT1 at the track and did all the work on his car by himself. Stroked motor, ported heads, cam, etc. The only thing holding back from hitting solid 11s are his tires. Runs with drags, but he knows with slicks he can and will break the rear end easily. Well he got in my car and showed me the deal. He prefers to punch the clutch to the floor, but before the clutch hits the bottom the shift is outta gear going into the next gear. 2nd and 3rd chirped, but no spin like how I spin em. Well I am not expert by any means, but I hang with the big dogs at the track so I'm learning a lot.
No offense, but your boy should be running better than a 12.5 with a fully worked, stroker motor LT1!!!!!! I have a friend with just a bolt on LS1 on Nitto's going 12.5!!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 12:17 AM

No offense, but your boy should be running better than a 12.5 with a fully worked, stroker motor LT1!!!!!! I have a friend with just a bolt on LS1 on Nitto's going 12.5!!!!
Hey no need to dog his boy...traction can be a mofkr with 500lbs of torque. Nittos work better on cars with lil torque #s(ls1). Tell your boy to buy some real slicks so he can show those ls1's some real #s.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by sweetassz
Hey no need to dog his boy...traction can be a mofkr with 500lbs of torque. Nittos work better on cars with lil torque #s(ls1). Tell your boy to buy some real slicks so he can show those ls1's some real #s.
Why does everyone say that LS1's don't have that much torque?! I think that's bull! But anyway, I wasn't trying to dog his boy (I'm definately not tryin to dog him, cause I really respect that he did all the work hisself, and really wish that I knew how to do all the work on mine), I was just trying to point out that he might not want to make him out to be so great that he'll listen to anything he says about shifting, cause maybe he doesn't shift all that great, cause even on Nitto's he should be doing better than that, cause other than the bolt on LS1 that's a friend of mine going 12.5, I have another friend also on nitto's that goes 11.60's on nitrous with a few bolt ons. And that car is probably making somwhere in the 500 range for torque on the bottle. So Nitto's aren't that bad that they would cause him to loose that much time. I'm sure slicks would definately help, but the Nitto's should be fine for now till he get's the 12-bolt rear.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:51 AM

Why does everyone say that LS1's don't have that much torque?! I think that's bull! But anyway, I wasn't trying to dog his boy (I'm definately not tryin to dog him, cause I really respect that he did all the work hisself, and really wish that I knew how to do all the work on mine), I was just trying to point out that he might not want to make him out to be so great that he'll listen to anything he says about shifting, cause maybe he doesn't shift all that great, cause even on Nitto's he should be doing better than that, cause other than the bolt on LS1 that's a friend of mine going 12.5, I have another friend also on nitto's that goes 11.60's on nitrous with a few bolt ons. And that car is probably making somwhere in the 500 range for torque on the bottle. So Nitto's aren't that bad that they would cause him to loose that much time. I'm sure slicks would definately help, but the Nitto's should be fine for now till he get's the 12-bolt rear.
Yah you are probably right, I bet that guy shifts like my granma.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by sweetassz
Yah you are probably right, I bet that guy shifts like my granma.
Hahaha, funny **** man!!!!! (I can't believe there is no laughing smiley on this forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 01-16-2003, 01:08 PM

I actually don't listen to my boy on everything.
He's actually scared to shift they way I shift...meaning not pressing the clutch to bottom. Yeah my boy probably sux big time j/k but I was just pointing out he's done this longer.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:05 PM

I actually don't listen to my boy on everything.
He's actually scared to shift they way I shift...meaning not pressing the clutch to bottom. Yeah my boy probably sux big time j/k but I was just pointing out he's done this longer.
Yeah. You goin to Moroso tomorrow night? You should come out, me and a bunch of friends are goin, should be a fun night!
Old 01-16-2003, 03:46 PM

Yeah. You goin to Moroso tomorrow night? You should come out, me and a bunch of friends are goin, should be a fun night!
Yeah I will be out there. Only street cars...no slicks or drags. I guess that means we can get more runs.

I have a silver 98 z with Beemer M5 wheels on them.

c yall

peace
Old 01-16-2003, 03:52 PM

Yeah I will be out there. Only street cars...no slicks or drags. I guess that means we can get more runs.

I have a silver 98 z with Beemer M5 wheels on them.

c yall

peace
M5 wheels? Hmmm, forgot what they look like, how they look on the Z? You go in sportsman or dial-in's? I'll be over in dial-in's, got a white Z28 with black outs on the rear. And DR's and M/T ET Streets are allowed, just no real slicks!!! Any legal street tire! I'll be on my stupid Falken Street tires, so I probably won't do too good, but we'll see. I can't wait to get a set of Nitto's!!!!!!!!!! See ya there!!!!

Oh yeah and actually, the fact that it's a midnight madness, means it's gonna be more packed than usual!!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 04:00 PM

Extra packed. DAM.
I'm still new at this...I will be on the sportsman side.

Here are the M5 beemer wheels--->

Last edited by therealmagyver; 01-16-2003 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Question for all the M6 guys!