LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Pulled Car From Storage Today & It Won't Hold A Charge, Any Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 06:40 PM

Pulled Car From Storage Today & It Won't Hold A Charge, Any Thoughts?

Well, I stored my car out doors this year. I started it about 4 weeks ago and it turned over okay. I went to take it out of storage today and nothing, not even a click when I turned the key. So, I jumped the car and it started up fine. I let it run for about ten mins and it stalled out, again, nothing when I tried the key. I jumped it and got the car going. I drove it for about 10 miles and then let it idle for about 15 mins more. When I turned it off and tried to start it up all I got was very rapid set of clicking and my speedo and RPM cluster went up and down a couple times and that was it.

I have an Optima Red Top battery. Do these just take forever to charge or could I have damaged it sitting in the cold? This Michigan winter really has not been that bad except for the last few weeks.

Thanks for any input!

Bill
Old 02-26-2006, 07:01 PM

Re: Pulled Car From Storage Today & It Won't Hold A Charge, Any Thoughts?

i don't know much about the optima's except that they are supposed to be good. for normal batteries, i would say you probably just have a bad cell and need a new battery. i don't know if the optima is an exception.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Did you disconnect your battery before storing the car?
Old 02-26-2006, 07:29 PM

Your standard Charging system in your car was not really designed to charge a completely dead battery.. could fry an alternator that way. at least for cars 93 and newer I was told.. which makes sense really.. Best thing you can do is put a deep cycle battery charger on it and let it charge all night.. that should take care of the problem... If after an all night charge it still does not hold charge, then it probably is no good. But you can not expect a battery to charge in an hour in a running car. since really the battery serves no purpose other than to start the car, and for backup in case the alt dies. the Alt produces the electricity the car actually runs on. (I did a test a few years ago.. Pulled the battery out of the car, used jumper cables to clamp the battery cables in the car to a battery in another car (non of my are computer run and do not have many electronics in them at that time). The car turned over, started, and ran. disconnected the cables and put it on a bridge so it could feed the current in a loop, and the car ran fine with no problems.. of course when you shut it off it will not start.. since no battery..

Last edited by Angelis83LT; 02-26-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by johnny6
Did you disconnect your battery before storing the car?
Nope, that is one of the things I forgot to do. Now, may have to pay?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 02-26-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Angelis83LT
Your standard Charging system in your car was not really designed to charge a completely dead battery.. could fry an alternator that way. at least for cars 93 and newer I was told.. which makes sense really.. Best thing you can do is put a deep cycle battery charger on it and let it charge all night.. that should take care of the problem... If after an all night charge it still does not hold charge, then it probably is no good. But you can not expect a battery to charge in an hour in a running car. since really the battery serves no purpose other than to start the car, and for backup in case the alt dies. the Alt produces the electricity the car actually runs on. (I did a test a few years ago.. Pulled the battery out of the car, used jumper cables to clamp the battery cables in the car to a battery in another car (non of my are computer run and do not have many electronics in them at that time). The car turned over, started, and ran. disconnected the cables and put it on a bridge so it could feed the current in a loop, and the car ran fine with no problems.. of course when you shut it off it will not start.. since no battery..

Well, I am letting the local Chevy dealership take a quick look at it since I don't own a tricke charger. May have been cheaper to just have gone out and bought one? Thanks for your info. Next year the car is stored at home, started weekly!

Thanks,

Bill
Old 02-27-2006, 12:08 AM

I have a sears one.. a 2/10/50 converntional/ deep cycle cost my $50 I did the weekely starting thing.. but then it build carbon deposits.... in febuary i just took the charger.. and put it in the area where my charcoal canister / cruise control diaphram was and plugged it in... mine shuts off and turns on when it needs to (charged / discharged)
Old 02-27-2006, 02:21 AM

Is the warranty still vaild on ur optima? I remeber sellin those things when i worked at AZ and im pretty sure they had like a 3 yr/ 6 yr. prorated deal when you bought one...
Old 02-27-2006, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Angelis83LT

you battery also helps keep voltage stable, it will abosrb spike and prevent damage to electronics

just fyi
Old 02-27-2006, 11:58 AM

I suppose it would at that. But like i said. at that time I had no electronics in the cars. only the lights, and the ignition. In fact.. my 83 camaro still doesn't have a computer in it lol.. But it has 2 capasitors for other things. (i know spelling is not my big point this early). As for Spikes, there are ways to get around that besides the battery. Like a capasitor, since really that is all the battery is.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
Well, I stored my car out doors this year. I started it about 4 weeks ago and it turned over okay. I went to take it out of storage today and nothing, not even a click when I turned the key. So, I jumped the car and it started up fine. I let it run for about ten mins and it stalled out, again, nothing when I tried the key. I jumped it and got the car going. I drove it for about 10 miles and then let it idle for about 15 mins more. When I turned it off and tried to start it up all I got was very rapid set of clicking and my speedo and RPM cluster went up and down a couple times and that was it.

I have an Optima Red Top battery. Do these just take forever to charge or could I have damaged it sitting in the cold? This Michigan winter really has not been that bad except for the last few weeks.

Thanks for any input!

Bill
Well, looks like it is the Alternater, not the battery, $400. Next year I am going to do it right, battery out and on a trickle charger.

By the way, since i have a lot of audio equipment should I look at bigger than stock for the Alt? Or, is the stock okay?

Thanks.

Bill
Old 02-27-2006, 06:32 PM

Well, looks like it is the Alternater, not the battery, $400. Next year I am going to do it right, battery out and on a trickle charger.

By the way, since i have a lot of audio equipment should I look at bigger than stock for the Alt? Or, is the stock okay?

Thanks.

Bill
Ive always had an amp/sub combo on the stock alternator and have been 100% fine. If your running a multiple amp setup than it wouldnt be a bad idea. But if you do decide to go bigger, it woudnt hurt. Have you noticed any charging problems in the past?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by slayer6x6
Ive always had an amp/sub combo on the stock alternator and have been 100% fine. If your running a multiple amp setup than it wouldnt be a bad idea. But if you do decide to go bigger, it woudnt hurt. Have you noticed any charging problems in the past?

No problems in the past..... Just after the winter storage. Actually, one of my friends just pointed out that the Alt may just be reading low because of the underdrive pulley. So, I will have the output tested at 1500 & 2500 RPMS to test the ALT.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:39 PM

No problems in the past..... Just after the winter storage. Actually, one of my friends just pointed out that the Alt may just be reading low because of the underdrive pulley. So, I will have the output tested at 1500 & 2500 RPMS to test the ALT.

Thanks.
Well most alternator output specs are tested at 2-3K ranges. They really dont do much at idle, especially with an UD pully.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:44 PM

another thing to consider is when did you determine the Alt was bad? before or after you ran the car to try charging the battery? Might have fried it then. but yea.. it happens.. if anything, especially if you have your car in the garage, just pop the hood and put the charger on it once a week. will make things much nicer. Also a larger alt is nice for multi amp systems. I have 2 amps in mine, and am running a 160amp. never has a problem ever, and i know that i am not using it's full potential.. but it is nice for that added bit of leway

Quick Reply: Pulled Car From Storage Today & It Won't Hold A Charge, Any Thoughts?