LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Poll....Hooker LT's or SLP LT??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 10:13 PM

Question Poll....Hooker LT's or SLP LT??

Looking at getting Hookers or SLP LT's. At the moment I am leaning towards SLP cuz they have their own 3" y-pipe and high flow cats. The Hooker is cheaper but you have to get a y-pipe and cats somewhere else. Suggestions??
Old 11-06-2002, 10:39 PM

I'm assuming that cats are a must?

If so, that makes it kinda tough. Honestly, I've never been a big fan of the SLPs and I wouldn't even consider buying them but I don't have to worry about emissions testing . Now, if I did then I would probably lean towards the FLPs. Yes, they're a little pricey but they do come with cats and OR pipes. They are pretty nice headers too, better than the SLPs, IMO.

If emissions aren't a concern then the two I would look at would be the Hooker's and QTP LTs(Grotyohann).

My vote, go with the Hooker's but I have no idea how much the total cost would be with a custom Y w/ cats, probably around $900 or so.

Last edited by 96SFLZ; 11-06-2002 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:42 PM

Exclamation

IMHO SLP's are junk. I had SLP's on my SS for a few months. They hung down way too low so on a lowered car you'll scrape them up & the power just wasn't there. I was soo unhappy with them especially after I had FLP's installed, talk about a world of difference. Hookers are fine but I would really recommend getting FLP, TTS, or QTP LT's.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:07 PM

slp kit is a quality product.. I have had them
on for a year and they work great.. Im not lowered
and dont scrape on anything..

hotcam+lid+slp kit+ catback
351/364
Old 11-06-2002, 11:40 PM

Thumbs up

I am glad I went with the Hooker LTs (total was $850 for all ... Y-pipe and O2 simms). I installed then myself in my driveway (even help a bud with his install), it was very easy. My clearance is better than OEM. Performance is incredible. OBTW, I am in California and run an ORY pipe on my daily driver SS. But if you want cats ...
Old 11-07-2002, 10:13 AM

Thanks Guys....the cats are not a huge probelm. I live in AZ, the car is new so I won't have to get tested until 2006!

The only reason I am even considering the SLP LT's is I have a friend that has them, he has no probelms at all. Now on my LT1 I had some SLP Shorties....they were JUNK!

This is the toughest call I have had to make on the car! But this gives me some good info to think about.

Are Hooker, FLP, SLP and Grots all 1 3/4" with 3" collectors?
Old 11-07-2002, 12:41 PM

Exclamation

Go with the Hookers.
If you consider the FLPs, go to different LS1 sites and do a search on problems. I have been cruising and posting LS1 sites for 3 years and the number of posted problems with FLPs are enormous. Not what one would expect from a $1300 set of pipes. Alot of the problems are downright scary too.
On the other hand, you rarely if ever see dissatisfied Hooker owners.
SLP, TTS, and Grott are about average... Kinda in the middle, and have issues that are unique to each. (ie SLPs hang very low and are hard to install)
My .02
Dave
Old 11-07-2002, 05:18 PM

I say go with the Hookers. It's what I'm gonna get. As far as the Y-pipe, I've seen one for them when I was browsing through a GM High-Tech Perf. magazine. Can't remember which ad it was though, but it was for around $159 I believe. But yeah, I've never heard any complaints about the Hookers either.

Nate
Old 11-07-2002, 05:41 PM

So far I found that:

FLP, Hooker, SLP are all 1 3/4" with 3" collectors. FLP comes with everything but cost 1300$ and the clamps are questionable.

SLP also comes with pretty much everything and costs almost 1300$ unless you go with TBryne's ORYP and not the cats then it' like 1040$

Hookers are 800$ with y-pipe/no cats and all you need is 02 Sims I think, still researching this one.

It's looking like Bang 4 the Buck is Hooker! Plus install and plug access looks better as well.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:30 PM

check out thunderracing.com i believe that hooker makes a y pipe for their long tubes, it comes on road or off road, i am not 100% sure, but i am pretty sure...
Old 11-07-2002, 08:56 PM

Nothing agaist hooker longtubes..but they really are NOT what they are presumed to be.I am a very happy SLP longtube owner..combine with tbyrne's O/R package you just can't beat em..hookers arent all that bad..but the fabricating of the y-pipe or the trouble to actually find one (wich yes they make one specific for ls1 applications) it's just a matter of simple preference..thats all...i would say on a stock car the hookers and slp's will produce VERY similar results if not exact...but in my honest opinion the slp's are a complete package ready to throw into the car and help you lay down a little fatter line of rubber and have a hell of a time listening to those "tuned" primairy's stright up slp made crappy headders for the L98's and LT1's...but this time i think they did their research and put together one hell of a headder system later!

carter
Old 11-08-2002, 12:16 PM

If you want cats, then you could still go with the Hookers and have a custom Y-pipe made for your application.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:52 PM

if your interested in a used Y-pipe I will have one to sell in a couple of weeks, It's made by Borla--stainless steal, I also have gutted cats, cutout, flowmaster, that I won't need, but if you go with hooker longtubes they have a 3" collecter and all this stuff is 2 3/4", I had them connected to edelbrock shorties. E-mail me if your interested in any of these. the y-pipes only been on my car for 2-months.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:52 PM

Thanks on the offer but I have 3" Corsa Catback and if the Hookers are 3" collectors I don't want to choke down to 2 3/4" just for the y-pipe.

I have found that I can get Hooekr's from Jet Hot for 580$ but they want 250$ for the y-pipe....I am finding out why theirs is more.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:22 PM

Get the Hookers and get their Y-pipe, HANDS DOWN

Quick Reply: Poll....Hooker LT's or SLP LT??