LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Piston Slap update

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 02:30 PM

Piston Slap update

Thanks to the info I recieved from this message board about www.pistonslap.com I was able to research the subject more and get a free 6 year or 100k mile warranty on my engine from GM. Anyone else who is experiencing inconviences with piston slap should go to the website and email some of the listed GM contacts. It took about a week of harassing them but I got some decent results!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:14 PM

Re: Piston Slap update

I'm sure all you had to do was just send in a pic of you, and they said,daa okay.j/k Good job, that means you got them to admitt they had a probem.LOL
Old 01-14-2005, 04:20 PM

Congrats Can you harrass them for me now?

Awesome SS btw!

Last edited by Meccadeth; 01-14-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:35 PM

Nice to hear they do admit that there is a problem.

Would you be so kind to send a copy of the email you sent. Would be great to have as a template just in case.

Thanx
Old 01-14-2005, 06:13 PM

Nice
Old 01-14-2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1stls1
I'm sure all you had to do was just send in a pic of you, and they said,daa okay.j/k Good job, that means you got them to admitt they had a probem.LOL
Well they couldnt see me 1stLs1 but I am very charming They actually didnt ever admit that they had a problem but I argued with them until they gave in. I sent you a copy of the email Hawk. Thanks for the kodos Meccadeth.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:10 AM

Thanks princessleia831, got the email.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:15 AM

Would it be possible to have you post the email you sent here on the board? with any personal information that you don't want shared taken out of course, I think that would be a big help to the rest of us with piston slapping, oil burning, tire smoking LS1's.

Thanks for the help & info.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:21 AM

GM has been giving this extension for years if you call and complain.

unless it sounds like a rod knock its nothing to worry about.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ULTIMTEORANGESS
GM has been giving this extension for years if you call and complain.
unless it sounds like a rod knock its nothing to worry about.
Are you serious?
I am of the opinion that since a piston banging the cyclinder is abnormal, it IS something worry about.
Over time the condition won't get better. Alot of people pay alot of money to own these vehicles, and to be told a car that has piston slap is normal is total BS. Does that mean to have a car that doesn't have piston slap is Abnormal? Also, GM telling people a Gen III engine that burns a quart of oil from one oil change to another is normal is total BS. Also, for the people that have the issue, what does it do to resale when someone wanting to potentially buy your car hears this issue on start up? I am sorry GM could have taken the high road on this when the issue was first discovered in 97 ~ 98, BUT they didn't, they tried to look the other way. That is not the way they should have handled this issue.

I love the LS1, and think its a great motor as far as power.
Thankfully, neither one of my cars have had these issues to this date.
But, many people from this site have this issue, and are told they won't help. If/when any of my cars get this issue: I promise, I will be a serious thorn in the Local GM dealers side...

Last edited by Kris93/95Z28; 01-15-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:01 PM

theres tons of ls1s on the road with over 100k on them with this so called harmful condition.

its been written about over and over again but reputable sources that this symptom is harmless.you want your car to make power this is something you have to live with.GM couldve used weaker parts and lowered the RPM range to make it quiet but then people wouldve cried about that too.

as a matter of fact my car has got quieter.why i have no clue but it has.

honestly i dont even notice it anymore.even on really cold days.

oil usage is another story.

some use more than others.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:30 PM

I've got 53,xxx HARD miles on my car w/ piston slap and no problems yet (knock on wood) On average, I lose between a quart and a half to two quarts between oil changes (every 3-3500 miles) depending on how the miles were accumulated (highway, in-town commuting or racing) My low oil light will usually come on after about 3500 miles. I'm disappointed, yes, but I knew what I was getting into before I did it. Actually, this car has far exceeded my expectations for reliability. It's been die hard dependable (despite my lead foot) and generally only goes back to the shop for routine maintenance. In 53,xxx miles, repairs/replacements have been limited to a spark plug, battery, fog light, couple light bulbs, brakes, tires and a cat. My best track time has been 13.5 @ 104 (that's with a 4L60-E and stock everything) and I average roughly 28 mpg on the highway (My Accord w/ 200 less horses only gets 4 more miles to the gallon) All in all, I can't complain.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:06 PM

I cant see how a piston knocking around wouldnt harm and engine. Im sure it scores the cylinders over time. However, the severity of the damage it does it hard to say. I know something isnt right because my '00 ss never had this problem and it had more miles on it them my '02. Anyhow, I love this car and I dont have to rely on it as my only form of transportation so Im keeping it. If the problem progresses I'll get rid of it before the 100k warranty is up.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:09 PM

My email didnt say anything special in it but I will post it anyhow. I think the most important part of getting results from GM is contacting the right person. I didnt get any help from their customer service line but I did get a good response from Ann Tomlinson at the executive office. Her email is Ann_Tomlinson@gmexpert.com Good luck!

I currently own three GM vehicles and have owned a total of nine over the years. I have been the most brand loyal consumer that you can find. However, there is a great possibility that I will NEVER be purchasing another GM vehicle again. My most recent GM purchase, a 2002 Camaro SS has developed the infamous piston slap. Ive researched this slap online to find that this is common for many late model GM vehicles. The LS1 is not the only engine effected by the slap. In fact every branch of GM has been affected. So my question to you is, how am I going to be compensated for this? The tactic that most dealerships have used is to stuff new pistons in the vehicles engine. Research shows that new pistons alone will not solve the problem. Plus what do I want with an engine that already has scored cylinders due to a piston banging around? Even with new pistons my engine will have a shorter life and poor performance because its already been damaged.
Please respond and tell me what can be done about this.
Regards,
Mia Bevacqua
Old 01-16-2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by princessleia831
I cant see how a piston knocking around wouldnt harm and engine. Im sure it scores the cylinders over time.
It really doesn't and I state that from facts not assumptions. You all think that because you hear a sound that there has to be damage occuring. NOT necessarily. I run my car probably harder than any here and when I had the heads off I checked the cylinder walls and they look like new at 25,000 miles and over 500 1/4 mile passes. That's why GM doesn't even bat an eye about the noise. It's annoying but harmless. The pistons rattle a little when cold, grow with heat and all is fine. They aren't tearing up the internals when this happens.
Now there are a few out there that have piston slap all the time even after the motor warms up. This is a problem as it's an indication that something is out of spec. And the dealer needs to step up and fix it.

Quick Reply: Piston Slap update