LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

PCV Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 AM

PCV Mod

2001 SS - the PCV system is odd. It pulls gasses from both valve covers but takes in filtered incoming air from the pass. side valve cover only. The suction fitting on the pass valve cover is close to the incoming air fitting on the same cover, so it seems to me that it would pull most gasses from the pass side and very little from the drivers side. I'm going to try a set up where I install the PCV Valve in the grommet at the rear of the driver side valve cover. This point is baffled in the valve cover to reduce oil ingestion and is already one of the PVC scavaging spots. I'll run a hose behind the intake and up the pass side to the existing PCV vacuum point. I'll leave the existing incoming filtered air hose where it is, at the front point on the pass valve cover. The rear point on the pass side valve cover will be blocked. This set up will provide full scavaging across the crankcase. It will pull gasses from the rear of the drivers side and feed filtered air into the front point of the pass side. A secondary benefit should be a reduction in the amount of oil pulled into the intake as the PCV Valve will be at the valve cover and act as a partial filter/condenser to stop the oil. I did a search but could not find anyone trying this before. Anyone with experience/info on this idea?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Re: PCV Mod

The only problem with that is the oil gets slung to the back of the engine/valve covers on a hard launch.

What you need to do is install a catch can.

PCV setup, oil consumption, upgraded parts, blue smoke, the works... - LS1TECH