LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

PCM Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 02:57 PM

PCM Tuning

What is the difference between all the PCM tuners? - autotap, hypertech, diablo sport predator, auto xray, ls1edit etc.
Is one just better than the other or are they used for different things? I know you need a laptop to use autotap but not the other ones. Also, If I have a 98 Z28 do I have a PCM or ECM? What is the difference?
Old 08-13-2003, 03:15 PM

You need a lap top for LS1 edit also....don't bother with the others not really enough options on them I would use the LS1 edit but only if you know what you are doing with fuel ratios and everything. My advice is to take it to a shop with a dyno for your tuning
Old 08-13-2003, 07:58 PM

i agree.a dyno tune will benefit you the most.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:25 AM

Re: PCM Tuning

Originally posted by JeffHooke
What is the difference between all the PCM tuners? - autotap, hypertech, diablo sport predator, auto xray, ls1edit etc.
Is one just better than the other or are they used for different things? I know you need a laptop to use autotap but not the other ones. Also, If I have a 98 Z28 do I have a PCM or ECM? What is the difference?
Auto Tap and Auto xray are NOT tuning tools they are scan tools.

Hypertech is the bottom of the barrel. It has a canned tune that sometimes works and more often doesn't. It also allows minor programming changes none of which are tuning. Like rev limit, top speed limit, gears changes (limited to a few specific choices), fan settings (see gears changes), shift points, and other minor things.

Diablo Sport Predator does everything that a HPP3 can do and to a finer degree. Like gear changes, it will set it for any gear that you want. Not just a few preprogrammed. It's canned tune works better than the Hpp and if it doesn't then the dealer or Diablo will write a custom tune for free. It's also a scan tool and can clear trouble codes to turn off your SES. It allow you to make small timing changes and fuel changes. It deletes torque management and they can do full custom tunes for mods and send them to you via e-mail.

LS1 edit needs a scan tool and a laptop computer. And you can change anything that you want to. Anything. It's more expensive and more capable and for the advanced user in my opinion.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:48 AM

ok so can i get by with using auto xray vice auto tap? I know everyone recommends auto tap in conjunction with ls1 edit, but is it worth the money when you can get auto xray for 100 bucks cheaper? (i would get diablo but they don't make em for 98's). also, when is it "worth it" to buy these tuners? do you have to have a lot of mods or will it work well for stock cars as well?
Old 08-21-2003, 04:27 PM

tunning with a MAFT

With my exhaust done, and airlid and so on i used my Mass Air Flow Translator to do dyno tunning and pick up 10 RWHP, 5RWTQ just by going with a wide band o2 reading..... Something to think about.
Also I still have my MAFT and 02 sims for sell??? Because I installed a cam I need to get computer tunning... Email if interested....