LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Pacesetter Headers Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 07:37 PM

Pacesetter Headers Install

I'm going to be installing Pacesetter long tubes tomorrow on 00 Z28. I am reading all the posts right now, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I hear that the steering linkage is an issue and the drivers side is the hard one. If anyone has experience with Pacesetter install your help would be appreciated. Also, I'm pretty new to wrench turning to could you please enlighten me on the common sense part. Do you just slide the gasgets in or do you have to use some compound to seal the gasgets? Do you have to torque the bolts down to a specific number or just till their tight? And can you use the stock bolts or do you have to use new bolts for the headers?
Old 12-05-2003, 09:10 PM

from what i understand all you "should" have to do to get the drivers side in is drain the oil and take off the filter as this alone should give you the clearance needed...that and about 24" of ground clearance you should have an extra set of hands when trying to put the gaskets on as it can get tricky...have one person holding the header while the other holds the gasket and starts a couple of bolts to line it up. You should tq them down to spec although off hand im not sure what it is probably like 20ftlbs though since they are aluminum heads its porbably a low #. You can use the stock bolts or the ones provided but thats up to you as both will work.

lata
Bill
Old 12-05-2003, 10:13 PM

I heard the spark plugs are very difficult after the pacesetters are on. So if you didn't just put new plugs in I would say do it now. Some people with pacesetter LT's also say that the driver side header may hit the k-member with stock mounts causing false knock retard. Poly mounts usually fix this. I plan on installing some with my headers monday. Gaskets should seal by themselves, but if you have a problem you can put a thin coat of high temp (usually orange) silicone on them. If you do use silicone make sure its high temp, other stuff can burn away leaving you with more leaks.

As for wrenching, best thing is to get someone who is to help you. Otherwise, just take your time and don't rush it. Thats when you screw stuff up. Use anti-sieze on the spark plug threads. Using a torque wrench when possible is a good idea if you don't know about how tight to get the bolts by feel.

I read some grind a corner of the block instead of messing with the steering linkage.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:23 PM

i do not recommend poly engine mounts to anyone! unless you love your car to be a rattle trap.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:33 PM

oh dont use their paper gaskets just reuse the stock metal ones they will seal much better.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:33 PM

I have no problems changing plugs. 45 min for all. I love these things