LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Newbie with Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 01:11 AM

Newbie with Camaro

Well, I never thought i'd see the day when I bought a Camaro, but I just bought a '99 SS because it had only 8400 miles on it. Got it for about 17k, imaculate condition, never driven. I don't know if that is a good deal or not, but it sure seemed like it. I don't know a thing about these cars. I was a honda man until about 2 o'clock this afternoon. Where do I go to find some basic info on this car and how to add some horses. not professional work, but just some easy stuff to add a few?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:20 AM

My best advice is to leave it alone for now. Take about 6 months and read this forum, www.ls1.com, www.ls1tech.com, www.installuniversity.com.
Then decide what direction you want to take with your car ie. show, twisties, drag, lowered crusier.
Then make a plan as to what mods you need to get you there. Don't just start doing a bunch of mods for the sake of doing a bunch of mods. The for sale section is chock full of parts that guys bought before they really knew what they wanted from there car, then they have to sell and buy new stuff.

my 2 cents.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:23 AM

thanks, i appreciate the post. yeah i figured on leaving it alone for a while, but some simple upgrades for just a bit more horses is what i will be doing in the future.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:19 AM

wow, that's a great price. congrats

you could add sub frame connectors to tighten up the frame, shock tower brace..... that's what i have now.

if the car's under warranty you might wanna be careful, in case you void it. others may say different. good luck
Old 08-10-2003, 08:14 AM

Welcome to the board and congrat's on your new (used) car! IMO, no shame in driving a Honda, they're a good product, too. I, for one, will never diss someone for what they drive because I respect everyone's freedome of choice and sometimes circumstance dictates what you drive vs. what you'd LIKE to be driving.

Anyway, I think you're really going to love the SS. I used to be an Acura (and previous to that a Ford) man. I can honestly say that I love the feel, the power, the weight, and the confidence of driving around in such a nice car (BTW, I have an '01 Z28).

As far as mods, I would wait. I know you're probably still in that Honda frame-of-mind where there are tons of aftermarket bolt-ons for weekend warriors. But you have to get in the mindset that you now have a car that doesn't need too many add-ons to get tons of hp... you already have it! That's a HUGE difference b/t the 4-bangers and the V8 muscle cars. Some people buy cars that are screaming for help; the rest of us already have them right off the lot!

DEFINITELY check warranty information, as stated in other posts. No sense shooting yourself in the foot; that'd just be plain ol foolish. And with a jewel like that with so few miles, I'd seriously hesitate before cracking the engine open for serious mods (cams, etc) because you'll dump the cars value down. Sure, it'll be nice, but most knowledgable car shoppers don't want an engine that's been tinkered with (would you? you never know how good a job was done and what problems might arise as a result of someone else's work).

The SS's value is held by keeping it as original as possible. This includes original wheels, its stock hi-flow exhaust system, steering wheel, seats, radio, etc). I'd pride myself in taking impeccable care of the motor via proper maintenance (best gas, best oils, etc) and immaculate care of the exterior, using the best car wash/wax products and using them correctly. If you absolutely can't help yourself and have to do mod's, you'd be wise to keep the original parts so yo can switch them back in when/if you go to sell it again or get a juicy offer for it that you just can't pass up.

Enough for now... Welcome once again and congrats on your SS purchase. You now have a VERY nice classic American muscle car... respect the legacy

Daryl
Old 08-11-2003, 02:04 AM

thanks for the info guys.. it is going to take some getting use to driving this beast around. it feels a lot different than my old prelude... i notice a lot more people turn and look in my direction when i drive down a parking lot and what not... kinda cool... i really love this car... its got great tires and rims and a great paint job... the only thing i don't like on it are the exhaust tips.. they are just plain stock, dull and flashless.. oh well...

where can i get some good seat covers.. some people love leather, i do not.. its hot where i live, sticky and hot legs are not what im looking for.. i want some good SS seat covers.. any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2003, 02:18 AM

here is my car... as if you guys havn't seen a million of these things floating around this board.. but i think it looks pretty sweet.. here are my rims i got with it too

Old 08-11-2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by sandmanusd

here is my car... as if you guys havn't seen a million of these things floating around this board.. but i think it looks pretty sweet.. here are my rims i got with it too

Niiiice. Congrats on the new car and welcome to the board.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:20 AM

Winchestertonfieldville?

Sorry to go off- topic... but holy crap! Is that even a real town? Winchestertonfieldville has got to be the longest name for a town I have ever seen!

Somewhat more on-topic... congrats on the SS... it's great to see that there are still a few of us who truly appreciate American Muscle. OOORAH!
Old 08-11-2003, 01:03 PM

isn't that the name of the town that the girl made up in Mr. Deeds (the movie)
congradulation, I think that price was a steal, good job.
I don't really agree with these other guys, you can spend less than a 1000 buck and have a much better performing machine. If something did come up about warranty thay will try to argue with you at the factory but its against the law to void warranty with non-internal engine mods. good luck on what you decide. they are right though can learn alot of good info in this foram.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by MARSTAUT
isn't that the name of the town that the girl made up in Mr. Deeds (the movie)
Yes it is.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:04 PM

Those rims you have are what would be included if you have some of the Y2Y second sticker options from SLP. Check the driverside door to see if you have any of these options (or call SLP with your vin#) Nice car btw
Old 08-11-2003, 04:11 PM

SWEET looking car man!!!! welcome to the darkside where all the fast cars roam
Old 08-11-2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by sandmanusd
thanks for the info guys.. it is going to take some getting use to driving this beast around. it feels a lot different than my old prelude... i notice a lot more people turn and look in my direction when i drive down a parking lot and what not... kinda cool... i really love this car... its got great tires and rims and a great paint job...
Heh I know exactly how you feel. I'm three weeks into owning my SS and I'm loving every second of it. Definitely a different feel from the Talon. I also notice a lot of people checking out my ride, may have something to do with it being NBM (very rare around here). Car has great top-end power and the overall package is extremely nice. I waited a long time to get an F-Body and sometimes I'm still in awe while driving that, hey this is actually MY car.

As for mods... well I told myself I would keep it stock for awhile but I just couldn't help myself. I picked up a Lid w/ filter, one of the best mods in terms of price, and I got a LoudMouth cat-back because I wanted to hear a louder growl from the exhaust that muscle cars are known for. I'm not planning to go all out with this car, the goal is mainly a mid 12 second, 110+ trapping daily driver that is not heavily modified, and that's the great thing about this car because it does not take a whole lot to get there.

Congrats on the new purchase! And I gotta say, you got one HELL of a deal!
Old 08-11-2003, 09:43 PM

As others have said, save the major mods for later. For now get a new air lid. Get a cheaper one. They flow just as good as the expensive ones. You can get a blemished SLP lid for ~$75. Most people who get them can't even find the blemish. Others can be had for around $100. They'll give around 10hp. By far the biggest bang for buck power mod you can do. If you want better handling the Suspension Technologies Solid 35mm front sway bar is incredible and almost completely eliminates body roll. It runs around $150 and is another easily installed/uninstalled mod. A strut tower brace can be had for ~$100 and will stiffen the chassis a bit. The K&N filter has been proven to provide no power gains and can sometimes gum up your MAF sensor if too much oil is applied to the filter. The paper filter is fine. If you want to go with a cooler thermostat you'll need to reprogram your fans to come on sooner. A handheld programmer can easily do this as well as add 15hp or so. Diablosport's Predator programmer not only allows you to adjust shift points, A/F ratio, timing advance, shift firmness and speedometer but also has a built in scanner to monitor your sensors in real-time and pull/clear trouble codes. They can be found for $419 including a thermostat and free shipping if you look around.

There you have a few ideas of where you can go. Hope it helps. BTW - Welcome!

Quick Reply: Newbie with Camaro