LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Newbie ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 12:19 PM

Newbie ?

I am a new member to this forum, but have gotten tons of information from this site(new clutch info, power window motor replacement, a/c fix with $6 part(which was great). I have had a GM car all my life. Started off with a 94 V6 camaro, moved to a 94 Z28, and now have a 2000 TA WS6. I don't have tons of money to spend on performance parts. I have read up on the great GMMG exhaust, but to much. Same with borla and corsa. I went to ebay and found the magnaflow, which I have never heard of, for $330 shipped. Is this a descent exhaust for the money? I dont want to do the cutout thing everyone talks about. Should I go with the LM? It seems here lately people have been talking crap about SLP. My dad has a 00 SS with all the options from SLP and that car will move. Can someone give me some info on why everyone thought SLP was the s*** a couple of years ago , and now since they start making mustang stuff, SLP sucks? I do not plan on putting on headers anytime soon either, if that helps. Any opinoin is grateful. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:33 PM

Lightbulb Dunno about SLP smack talk - it might be, though, ...

That people feel they have sold out .

I do not suscribe to that theory - Ed Hamberger (I think that's the guy's name) has to make a buck, too.

Loudmouth - too loud for my tatses - I.E., it lives up to it's name.

This was by personal experience - a friend's wife has a '00 WS.6 w/ it installed.

She loved it - to each, their own.

I like my Borla, but sometimes wish the volume could be turned down slightly.

(yeah, I'm an old fart.)

Love the tips, though - in fact, even though I am a T/A man , I liked the SS I have now when it was the prior owner's car.

The Borla just helped add to the overall package.

Enjoy the board , and experiment w/ the search feature - you'll find it helpful, and it will save you flames when you can tell people you have already searched but could not find it.

Later !

Britt
Old 10-21-2003, 12:35 PM

One of my friends is an SLP junkie, all his mods are from them and he says they make great stuff.

The reason why people are trying to drag SLP's name through the mud is because they're now making Mustang parts and us GM guys no longer have a supplier that makes parts just for us, so I guess some people are disgruntled about that.

I've heard nothing but good about Magnaflow, infact I'll probably buy one of their systems soon.

The SLP Loudmouth exhaust lives up to its name. It sounds FIERCE when it's revved up and you'll know it when you hear an F-Body with one.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:37 PM

For plain "sound quality" and price, I'm happy with my Flowmaster catback system, but I know that a lot of people believe that the Flowmaster muffler doesn't actually "flow" nearly as well as some other aftermarket systems do, so don't buy this system if overall performance is your ultimate goal. I'm not too sure about the quality of the Magnaflow exhaust, but the price doesn't seem too bad? I know that a lot of guys on this site seem to run the Loudmouth system (I think especially for the sound) but I don't know about how well it flows or the cost either?

The reason for a cutout is two-fold:
1 - it completely opens the exhaust up (when open) so that there is virtually NO resistance through the exhaust, and this helps to increase horsepower, and
2 - it can make even the factory exhaust system sound super loud, but IMO, it would be too loud for daily driving, and that's where a nice cat-back system is a good comprimise.

Old 10-21-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Capn Pete
I'm not too sure about the quality of the Magnaflow exhaust...
They're ISO 9001 certified, so their quality must be top notch.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by SFB767
Yeah, so is my company................that doesn't mean $h!t IMO!!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 01:01 PM

Talking BWA HAH HAH HAH HAH !!!

Originally posted by SFB767
*Rant mode ON ! *
You may or may not be aware, but ISO is the biggest joke around.

As long as your company consistently does the same thing in a documented manner , you can be ISO certified. (Simplified explanation.)

So, you can screw up all you want - as long as it is per your written documentation, your good.

I had a dealing recently w/ a certified company which illustrates this.

I had a order that had to be entered that day.

Even though I could give them a verbal po, they had to have it in writing.

Trick is, I had to have their P/N to make a written po off the machine - but, I can't get their P/N until they have a written po.

Oh, yeah - that's ISO quality.

You can count me as not being a fan of it.

*Rant mode OFF . *

We now return you to this hijacked thread.

Britt

Last edited by NEWBIE T/A; 10-21-2003 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:34 PM

Now Back to Magnaflow

Thanks for the info, but does anybody on this forum have a stock ls1 Z28 or TA with the magnaflow system on it? How does it sound? Good HP gains?