LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

New Here

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 05:57 PM

New Here

Hey guys. I just bought an automatic 1998 ls1 z28 with 47k miles. My other car is a heavily modified 2002 subaru wrx. Since I am pretty familiar with the modifying route, I am just curious as to some of the best brands that provide some of the starter mods (cai, exhaust, headers). Also are pullies worthwhile on the ls1? I eventually plan on going with a supercharger for this engine. What company should I go with the make the most reliable power? Also what supporting mods do you guys suggest to maintain reliability? (mods to trans, bottom end, cylinder heads, rear end, etc). My starting goal is 400+ whp on pump gas. Thanks for all the help and sorry for all the questions.

-Nate
Old 10-26-2004, 06:35 PM

Re: New Here

well if you are planning a SC than the cai is not really logical.

but if you want one for the time being, look into the SSRA (link in the sig) it's about the best induction available. at low speeds it is a standard cai, at higher speeds it is a full ram air system.

replace the air box with an aftermarket lid...as for brand...a lid is a lid is a lid...all the same basically. go with the look and price you like best.

headers are a big choice. for good quality, decent price look for pacesetter, hooker or flowtech longtubes. more expensive, stainless steel construction, look for QTP or Kooks.

exhaust is gonna depend on personal preferance on sound. check out www.ls1sounds.com

one of the biggest gains for your particular car is going to be a torque converter, and probably gears.

read the first 5 pages of this forum and you'll learn alot
Old 10-26-2004, 06:38 PM

Where to start... Well Flowtech, Hooker, Jet Hot, and FLP to name a few make good headers. Everyone has there own opinion on them. Exhaust is mostly based on opinion. So if you want rediculously loud get a Loudmouth, if you low and mellow get a Hooker, if you want just str8 badass get a GMMG. Go to www.LS1sounds.com and see which one you want. Pulleys are worthwhile. They actually get a few horses on LS1s unlike LT1s. As far as the supercharger goes, you'll want to keep the boost relatively low or else you blow you engine up. And with any type of charger your engine isn't going to last quite as low as long as you are running stock compression. Get some low compression pistons and then bring on the boost!

The rearend SUCKS!!! Get a 12-bolt or a 9". The tranny will need some beefing up if you plan on these mods. (Mostly the power adders) There are alot of different types of heads you can get, lots of people like AFR, but they aren't cheap. If your broke get some Patriot heads or get your stock ones ported.

400rwhp on pump gas is VERY easy to get to. Go get all the bolt ons and throw a big cam in there and you will be VERY close. I am pushing about 375rwhp with a "small" cam and the majority of bolt ons. Add some heads to a nice cam and 400+ is yours easy. Oh yeah and welcome to the board. The people here are all *** holes...including me j/j. Welcome!
Old 10-26-2004, 06:39 PM

DAMN YOU TEKE! You always get done before me!
Old 10-26-2004, 06:50 PM

slow ***....i had you by 3 minutes
Old 10-26-2004, 07:14 PM

Not tring to hijack,but,is the tconv only for the 1/4 mile? It will not help for driving will it?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:17 PM

i'm not an expert on it...only had manuals...

but it should help any time you are accelerating. perhaps not in highway situations (could be wrong) but around town i think you'll notice it alot
Old 10-26-2004, 07:54 PM

Hey TEKE, will you be first on my new thread?
Old 10-26-2004, 08:39 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys! If I go with an intercooled s/c, and keep boost to a minimal, what type of gains should I expect? Are there any high quality kits out there?
Old 10-27-2004, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by TheDogg
Thanks for all the responses guys! If I go with an intercooled s/c, and keep boost to a minimal, what type of gains should I expect? Are there any high quality kits out there?
Buddy is running 8-10 psi on his twin turbo. Stock bottom end with some 6.o liter heads (to lower comperssion a half a point). Scary fast for a full weight total street car. There is nothing removed or not working that was there from the factory. Has run 11.05 @ 130 on 10 psi at 3800+ Lbs race weight on slicks.
You'll need a 12 bolt rear, HD driveshaft, and some exceptional luck with your pro-built stage 4 4l60e, or a turbo 400 trans. Above mentioned car has a built M6.
Check TBurne's sponsor link on this site. He seems to be having a supercharger sale most of the time.