LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Need your help guys, whats wrong with my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 12:46 PM

Need your help guys, whats wrong with my car

Ok guys, a few days ago I did this massive 20 foot burnout. It was cool. I reversed then completly made sure the car was in OD before I slammed on the throttle. I accelarated pretty hard without holding the brake. I didn't notice anything afterward cuz I went straight home. The day after, I noticed something akward.

There is this small vibration under the driver floor board or close to it. It comes and goes. It happens mostly when I'm at a red light or complete stop. Sometimes it'll occur in neutral or park. It seems to go away when I accelerate after about 10 mph or let go of the brake. The car runs fine and have no problems accelerating or what not. Everything is fine except for that.

I know it not the engine. Its not really a rattle because you can feel it vibrate. Could it be the tranny mount?
Please let me know what you guys think.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:15 PM

could be but in my old formula mine clunked under acceleration not at idle but who knows... i just changed mine out the other day on my 98...takes about 20 minutes with air tools and for 25 bucks pick up a poly one...the stock ones tend to split pretty easily. If it isnt knock one thing off the list of things to do

lata
Bill

Last edited by foff667; 08-05-2003 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:13 PM

id say give it a shot and see what happens. after i got my new clutch they put mine on backwards and it was doing the same sort of thing, but i just flipped it and it stopped, but also after i got my new clutch, i had a sort of clicking sound coming from the backseat my only guess is something in the drivetrain.

It started out clicking real slow and as i got faster it got faster. and its a real steady ticking not random.....its been like 4-5 months, but nothing bad has come of it, it is just annoying. any ideas what it may be anyone?
Old 08-05-2003, 06:16 PM

could be a tooth on your ring gear.

Thats what happened to me. It started out as a steady clicking that got progressed into knocking and finally banging. My guess is i had a bent or misaligned tooth and it finally broke off (when it got louder and started knocking) and since everything was out of whack from the missing tooth 2 more teeth broke off (when it started banging)

The noises increased as the speed increased, and if i let off the throttle (coasting) it wasn't as bad.

Save yourself the 1300 dollar headache I had after I had to pay for new gears, a new diff, and installation. Get it looked at. Of course I got it looked at when it was just a light tapping, or ticking sound, and they found nothing wrong. Guess they didn't look hard enough.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:29 PM

Hmmm...well I'm definatly going to have it looked at, until the weekend though.

See the noise goes away after I'm cruising.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:13 AM

Thanks.

Anybody else have any opinions?