LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Need cut-out advice........

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Ray66

Need cut-out advice........

I think I'm gonna a buy one but I'm not sure how to go about this. Are there any long-term negatives to this?

I have a 2001 mostly stock(wanna keep it that way) but I do have the Blackwing Lid, SLP CAI and GMMG cat-back. I like my SS now. The sound of the GMMG is great. The other day at the movie theatre I heard this Camaro and I'm telling you it was like instant THUNDER! I was asking myself, "what the hell kind of catback does this dude have"? It just dawned on me a few days later it had to have been a cutout. I was like Damn! It was loud sure but.... like thunder. I could not imagine doing a burnout in an LS1 camaro with a cutout!

I would like to know how many SS vet's here have a cutout and do they open it up alot? Is it fun?

1. Is the QTEC the best on the market?

2. Where do you install it? I know it's after the y-pipe and before the muffler so....right smack in the middle, in the I-pipe? But closer to the rear(before axle) or up front, like under the cup holder?

3. How much is install and a muffler shop has to do this..... so you just cut the I-pipe twice and fit the cutout in.... then weld it?

4. Then you run the wire thru the center console and drill into your ashtray and that's it? Run a wire to your battery for power?

What did you guys pay for your QTEC including install at a muffler shop?

Thanks a million!
-------------

The collision wrap is great. It works very good and under the bra for that extra peace of mind! RBL is good but Hy-Stick is just as good and cheaper and no writing on it.

Old 02-13-2003, 12:24 AM
Banned

it could have been slp loudmouth....

1.debatable

2. yes theres a little kind of like opening that the floor goes up a bit and gives you room....

3. cutout install 45 bux......

4. runn wire thru rubber grommet inside car....then to console

i paid 120 for electronic cutout and 30 for cutout and about 45 for install for a total of 195
Old 02-13-2003, 12:33 AM

I'd just let the muffler shop install the cut-out itself and then put the electronic part on yourself to save $$. The cut-out outta cost $30 - $45 to install install. Most muffler shops around here charge $20 per weld, so two welds = $40.

Along the i-pipe there's a little indention in the chassis, you'll see it when you get under the car. Get em to weld it there, w/ the exhaust blowing towards the passenger side of the car, away from fuel lines

Yeah, for an electronic cut-out I'd say the QTEC would be the way to go. Personally I'm happy w/ my non-electronic FlowTech (the QTEC utilizes a FlowTech, and you simply bolt on their valve to the end of it) It only takes like a minute to bolt on the plate, so if you went w/ a non electronic one you'd be saving like $130.

And yeah, you just gotta run the switch wire to the interior and mount wherever, then a wire to the battery.

I have a cut-out on mine right now, I drive w/ it open all the time, never close it. (so an electronic one would be a waste of $$ for me). I don't think I even plan on getting a cat-back, I just need to buy some 3" pipes since I'm still on the stock 2.75's.

If you want a video from behind the car to hear the cutout, I just made one today actually. I only get the car up to about 2,000RPM's though (I made the video to show someone my bent axle, but it's got some nice sound of the cutout)... if you want it IM me @ GrdLock31337 and I'll send it to you, or I could make you a nice high RPM video tomorrow to hear it. Lemme know.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:52 AM
Banned

mine mccord by the wway.....120 i think qtec is 165
Old 02-13-2003, 08:08 AM

165 for the qtec is the cutout and the opener though. I got my cutout for about 30 bucks and had it installed for 25. I still have not got an electric opener but if you look at my website (click the link in my sig) and go to page 4 you will see my dyno sheets with the cutout open and closed. Made a 7rwhp difference for me.. and for only 55 total dollars I think it was well worth it. Plus the sound is GREAT!!
Old 02-13-2003, 10:56 AM

If you want to do a clean install (make the switch look stock) and you don't have a drop-top, then you can do a kick butt install.

Head to the dealer and buy the drop top switch and plastic bezel. Then use the drop-top switch to open/close the cutout rather than open/close the top.

It looks factory because you're using factory switches in their factory locations.

For the WS6, my bezel was $3 and the switch was $15.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:29 PM

From what I have heard and seen myself, Mccord is garbage, cheap plastic gearing and other cheap parts. They break and break often. Not a flame or anything, but when you've read the samething happening to so many people and seeing one yourself break makes you kinda wonder why its only $$xxx.xx$$

As for the QTEC, over on other boards, everyone loves them, I love mine, no problems what so ever.

Installation will vary upon location and perferred shop, you maybe quoted $75 one place, and $25 another place.

Cutouts can be placed in many different places, the most popular is on the I pipe right before the axel, there seems to be a nice spot right there to have it. Borla users can just replace the adjustable plates with the QTEC unit and not the flowtech cutout.
Installing the switch is a breeze, it comes with a nice set of directions for you, very simple.

As for how many people run open with them all the time.....It really depends on your preference, my buddy runs his open 24/7, in fact his is selling his borla exhuast because he never closes the cutout. He is going with the QTP headers with the dual cutout Y pipe As for me, sometimes its open sometimes its closed....Corsa sounds too sweet to not let it pur
Old 02-13-2003, 04:32 PM

where can i get that QTEC???? sorry, newbie in the house

thanks,
mike
Old 02-13-2003, 06:49 PM

Ray...Cutouts are loud, but not much louder than your GMMG. Besides, you paid a TON of $$$ for the great sound of the GMMG. So why the cutout? They sound like absolute trash IMO on LS1's.

Have someone else you trust drive your car down the road with the GMMG and you'll quickly hear the difference in tone. And that car you heard probably had some headers(which help) or internal engine work. If it was just a cutout or LM, you ain't missing out on much. Imagine what other people are saying when they hear your GMMG?

Mike

2002 M6 Z28

Last edited by 2000LS1Z28; 02-13-2003 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:38 PM
Ray66

Thumbs up Thanks Mike and very well said.....

Mike, yea, your right, why screw up a good thing with my GMMG.

Thanks man.
Ray

Old 02-13-2003, 08:25 PM

Smile Re: Thanks Mike and very well said.....

Originally posted by Ray66
Mike, yea, your right, why screw up a good thing with my GMMG.

Thanks man.
Ray
No problem. Nothing against those who like cutouts(because they flow great), but they just sound like an LS1 with a big hole in the muffler or something to me(which they basically are).

Remember, exhaust sounds a lot different inside the car than outside it. I used to think that about other cars I heard while driving mine until I let someone else drive my car and heard the GMMG from outside like everyone else.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:31 PM

You can get the QTEC at www.quicktimeperformance.com
Old 02-13-2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by 2000LS1Z28
Ray...Cutouts are loud, but not much louder than your GMMG. Besides, you paid a TON of $$$ for the great sound of the GMMG. So why the cutout? They sound like absolute trash IMO on LS1's.

Have someone else you trust drive your car down the road with the GMMG and you'll quickly hear the difference in tone. And that car you heard probably had some headers(which help) or internal engine work. If it was just a cutout or LM, you ain't missing out on much. Imagine what other people are saying when they hear your GMMG?

Mike

2002 M6 Z28
The why does GMMG offer QTECs in the ZL1s with there chambered exhaust? I would guess they think it gains over there system. Dont get me wrong the gmmg system is nice. But adding a QTEC cant hurt it. Just give a couple of extra ponies and make it louder. IMO
Old 02-13-2003, 08:37 PM

Thats correct Jack,

Those ZL1's are mean as hell
Old 02-13-2003, 09:14 PM

So, basically, everyone who says cut-outs sound like *** basically think Borla sounds like *** too on a lot of ppl's cars? Cuz all Borla is is a cut-out w/ a muffler, and most people I know w/ Borla drive w/ the plate opened. :P