LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Modded F-body or Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 06:54 PM

Post Modded F-body or Corvette

After my insurance rates are reduced, (Dec 26, 2002), I will be able to buy a new car that is not an economy car. My wife has allocated me $35,000 maximum. Should I purchase a used F-body and load it to the gills, or get a Corvette? Brokkanic said I should get a 93 Cobra and mod the crap out of it and kill any GM product.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:04 PM

if you can afford it, get the corvette, it's GM's best, a lot more prestige and no work involved, who really gives a crap if the car is .2 sec slower than someone else? it would handle a lot better than a ford or camaro anyway. buy a '94 cobra when you could get a 2000 corvette? that would be stupid.

[This message has been edited by WhoBetter? (edited July 17, 2002).]
Old 07-17-2002, 07:39 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KMLee:
After my insurance rates are reduced, (Dec 26, 2002), I will be able to buy a new car that is not an economy car. My wife has allocated me $35,000 maximum. Should I purchase a used F-body and load it to the gills, or get a Corvette? Brokkanic said I should get a 93 Cobra and mod the crap out of it and kill any GM product.</font>
Of those listed, which one do you like the best? Answer that, and then go from there.

...Hell, you might even be able to get a '94-96 Viper for $35k.

Its all in what you want, and what you plan to do to the car.

Milo
Old 07-17-2002, 09:08 PM

Previously had a modified LT 1 Z-28 which I totalled. I liked the grunt and the torque of the LT 1. Stock, it dynoed 262 rwhp. With my mods, it was in the low 300's. My friends H/C Ls1 dynos 370 to the wheels. With a 12 bolt, suspension mods, exhaust and a stroker, I could have a 11 second LT1 for under $35,000. Being obsessive compulsive, I like having things NOW! So if I get the C-5, I would have to slowly piece meal the mods. I do like the C-5 better, I just want something killer in Dec.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:19 PM

Well the Camaro is the poor man's Corvette, and you would have probably 10-15 grand left over to mod it big time, assuming you buy it for around 20 grand, I might be overestimating but oh well.

There is nothing like a Vette but you are starting from a more expensive platform.

Do whatever you want its really your decision.

I'm sure you can build a low 10 sec LS1 Camaro that would be sharp!
Old 07-17-2002, 11:40 PM

If I were you i would go for a nice C5 vette. As mentioned its GM's best and its Americas Sportscar. Its really up to you though. Good Luck!

------------------
2001 Black T/A. A4.K&N.And lots of Zaino!
Old 07-18-2002, 05:10 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Future-LS1-Owner:
the Camaro is the poor man's Corvette

There is nothing like a Vette
</font>
Just thought i'd highlight the words of this wise man for ya Mr. Lee.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:52 AM

Arrow

I have owned both a Vette and now an SS. I like the F-body because of its versatility, it has a usable rear seat, can carry more, has t-tops that come off within seconds (unlike the vetes targa top), and the exhaust note you get from the F-body is much tougher...!
That said, the Vette is smooth, very well built, has all the gadgets, etc. I man beat mine (vette), taking it to the drag strip over 50 times, and not one problem. They put the best components on the vette i.e. the Dana 44 rear on the vette.
So as others have said, it is about what you want from the car, how do you plan on using it, etc. The Camaro is a diamond in the rough, the vette is a diamond.
Now if I had 35Gs to throw around and you want the fastest thing you can get and quickly, this is what I would do. Buy either a used C5 or a used SS and then buy the new LG motorsports Super Charger ($5Gs) and you'll be running 11s before the cows come home.

------------------
99 SS, Dark Metallic Blue, M6
SLP lid, KN, TBB, SLP Y-pipe, loudmouth
ported MAFs
Old 07-18-2002, 11:39 AM

Angry

Sure you could buy a 93 junkstang and mod it all you want. But in your mind you will always know that i had to mod up my car just to beet a stock Z28. Our you could get on board with the best and buy an Fbody.

Someone said: Brokkanic said I should get a 93 Cobra and mod the crap out of it and kill any GM product

Well this may be true if the GM product has no mods. Bottom line you have to buy whats best for you. Like i did. I love vets, and it the last year for the Camaro & Firebird's
so I got a Camaro Z28.

As for the Guy who said Camaro's are poormans Vetes (his from a guy who does not have a Fbody and says future Fbody owner)
ask your self this? Do you know what your talking about???

------------------
"Mustang Killer"
Black 2002 Z28 M6 T tops
SLP LID
SLP BELLOW
K&N Fillter
Old 07-18-2002, 12:28 PM

what are your goals and what are you going to do with the car? It sounds like you already have daily driven cars.. If you are just intrested in raw performance and the uniqness of having a modded car, get a camaro.. If you just want a nice comfortable cruiser and excellent all around car that you are just going to bolton mod, get the Vette.

Old 07-18-2002, 05:25 PM

I have pushed Brokkanics Rustang too many times. I have given grace to Mr. Brokkanic for his POS Rustang breaking down and making him late for work (he is an employee of mine). So that comment was made in levity. I would never buy another Rustang. After owning a T-Bird and Cobra Vert, I would not get another. What I want is a total package. I bought my original F-Body because of an article I read in Car Craft about Roger Grotyohann's Supercharged F-body. Here are my pluses and minuses.
1. F-body
A. Cost
B. Mods are abundant and cheap
C. Did I say cheap

Cons:
A. Glass rear end
B. Terrible stock clutch
C. Wheel hop in abundance (I had a full
LG Motorsports susension on my old
F-body, and it still got uneasy).
D. Ergonomics (tranny hump, doors, hood-
line, length, heaviness)

2. Corvette (Pros)
A. Hydoformed chasis
B. True Dual exhaust
C. Dana 44 rear end
D. Light weight, great handling
E. Better Ergonomics

Cons
A. Cost
B. Cost
C. Stock versus having a modded
imperfect car.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:00 PM

Talking

Get the 'Vette, and when she isn't looking, mod the crap out of it. Or say you bought a lemon and have to keep replacing parts.

------------------
1999 Z-28 M6: Gran.MAF, LS1 MoSports intake, K+N filter,Corsa exhaust, PowerSlot rotors, Hoch. strut tower bar, still working
Old 07-18-2002, 10:11 PM

That was my excuse to mod my old Camaro. LMAO! "Honey the reason the car squeaks is because it is a T-Top. If we get Double Diamond Subs, that problem will go away....Now that the subframe is reinforced, the cowl squeaks, we need a strut tower brace. The reason the car stumbles is because the optispark is not vented. The dealer recommends that we change out to a digital ignition when you change the optispark......The exhaust system is displaying rust, we need a stainless steel version with higher flow mufflers. We will get better gas mileage to boot....The rear gear change will make sixth gear more usable, oh, did I tell you we will need to recalibrate for the spedometer. Our 48 mm throttle body is sticking, the dealer is recommending a change to 52 mm......HeHeHe" The things we do for love.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:14 AM

Yeah get the vette! You can pick up a 97-99 pretty cheap in great condition. Most vette owners respect and pamper their cars. Then do "the usual mods". Headers, tc if auto, exhaust. and look the F*** out stangs.

------------------
2000 Z28-Deep Maroon
Mac Headers With Off-Road Pipe
Vigilante Torque Converter 2800 stall 2.5 STR
Hooker 3" catback w/cut out & McCord
FTRA Kit
Dynamic Motorsports SFC's