LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Mobil One

Old 06-24-2002, 02:09 PM

Question Mobil One

Hi All, just changed the oil in my '02 SS with Mobil One and was surprised to see my oil pressure run constantly over 40 lbs. Once the conventional oil warmed up my pressure was under 40. I've heard this is normal with synthetic oil and since it's factory fill for the vette I figure it sure can't hurt in the SS. Any comments on the higher pressure? The service guy at the Chevy place said if it was his car he'd definately run Mobil One so I guess there's not a problem. Thanks. Later.......

------------------
'02 35th anniversary edition camaro SS, 6spd, hurst, t-tops...
Old 06-24-2002, 02:13 PM

Talking

Good choice. Mine runs a tad over 40psi too!

------------------
2002 Camaro SS #3586 6M Sebring Silver, T-top, Billet Grille, Hurst shifter, !CAGS, Whisper CF Lid, Holly PowerShot filter, Corsa Catback w/full polish tips, 160 Thermo, SLP fan switch, ASR reverser, TA axle cover w/stud kit, MAFT.

Waiting to install: NX wet kit, Hotchkis STB, LCA's, APHR.

Baseline Dyno: 317.9RWHP 335.9RWTQ with MAF ends only: 325.6RWHP 350RWTQ. (Stock)1st 1/4 mile 13.46 @106.9 2.23-60'
new best 13.306 @107.89 2.12 60'
http://community.webshots.com/user/xknightrider
4-sale MAF ends....going to N02 so need to ditch them.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:15 PM

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by XKnightRider:
Good choice. Mine runs a tad over 40psi too!

</font>
So this is normal, cool, thanks for the reply!

------------------
Old 06-24-2002, 02:18 PM

It won't hurt it. You really don't have to use synthetic oil if you change it regular sythetic oil does not break down as fast thats all, it will not protect any better, in fact it eats away at silicone thats why LT1's often got intake leaks.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:22 PM

Red face

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnmon94:
It won't hurt it. You really don't have to use synthetic oil if you change it regular sythetic oil does not break down as fast thats all, it will not protect any better, in fact it eats away at silicone thats why LT1's often got intake leaks.</font>
So it might not be good for the motor?? Wow, I thought it was better than regular oil, maybe I should re-think?? Thanks for the reply.....

------------------
Old 06-25-2002, 12:05 AM

The main reason to use sythetic oil is because it is perfect. There are no impurities in it like there is in conventional oil. Synthetic is made in a lab, conventional comes from the ground. Also sythetic wont "cook" like conventional oil will. Ive never heard of sythetic eating silicone. It can cause more leaks on an older motor because its slicker that regular oil and tends to seep around gaskets more that regular oil.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:30 AM

Cool

Just remember one thing. The Vettes come with a Friction mod mixed with the synthic oil so the engine can break in. hope you have some miles on your engine.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brentasan:
Hi All, just changed the oil in my '02 SS with Mobil One and was surprised to see my oil pressure run constantly over 40 lbs. Once the conventional oil warmed up my pressure was under 40. I've heard this is normal with synthetic oil and since it's factory fill for the vette I figure it sure can't hurt in the SS. Any comments on the higher pressure? The service guy at the Chevy place said if it was his car he'd definately run Mobil One so I guess there's not a problem. Thanks. Later.......

</font>
Old 06-25-2002, 06:09 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnmon94:
It won't hurt it. You really don't have to use synthetic oil if you change it regular sythetic oil does not break down as fast thats all, it will not protect any better, in fact it eats away at silicone thats why LT1's often got intake leaks.</font>
That's not what I heard. The reason the LT1's occasionally leak after switching to synthetic is because it tends to seep around gaskets more like CW 99 Z mentioned.It bascially just finds leaks that are already there. Regular oil doesn't find these leaks. I have a hard time believing that synthetic is actually bad for your engine.

------------------
1997 Bright Red Z28
A4, 3.23's, K&N FIPK, FLP Headers, Flowmaster, Cutout
My Z28

[This message has been edited by EviLBoX (edited June 25, 2002).]
Old 06-26-2002, 09:59 AM

Arrow

Too bad ridiculus rumors get started like M1 eating silicon, the product wouldn't last 6 months on the store shelf if that were the case. Anyway, I use M1 in everything I own that has a motor including my lawnmower. I've been using it for years, and I've had vehicles with over 175,000 on them running great and still pulling 7000lb boats, etc. Another very important advantage of synthetics is that they pull heat from the motor much better than regular oil, to the tune of about 10 degrees across the operating range, heat kills so if you can reduce it your ****e will last much longer. And you can run it at least twice as long in your motor as compared to regular oil. On my daily driver (95 Grand Prix) I go 10,000 miles on an oil change and the motor is still perfect I don't even have to add any oil (doesn't burn or leak) until the next oil change.

------------------
99 SS, Dark Metallic Blue, M6
SLP lid, KN, TBB, SLP Y-pipe, loudmouth
ported MAFs
Old 06-26-2002, 12:20 PM

Unhappy

I wish my oil pressure had improved w/ synthetic, but it did not.

However, I feel that no matter what it is cheap insurance - I don't push oil changes beyond 4K , and figure every little advantage I can give my car I will.

I've got 5W30 Mobil 1 in now, and have run Royal Purple & of all things, Wal Mart Super Tech synthetic in the past (actually seemed to be pretty good stuff).

I am going back w/ 10W30 Mobil if I can find another 5 quart jug @ Wally World for $ 17.88 - if not, then the Super Tech stuff.

Later !!

Britt

------------------
'99 T/A
Best 13.071 @ 104.92
Now own '99 SS # 2073 !
12.969 @ 105.44
Old 06-26-2002, 04:25 PM

just to mix things up...id try some redline oil. full synthetic and is believed to be the best stuff on the market via many people. my next oil change im going with it.

------------------
1999 Camaro SS A4 Black/Black/Dark Gray w/ Torch Red Hood Scoop and Torch Red Rear Stripe... 3:23 || SLP Loudmouth || SLP AirBox Lid w/ K&N || SLP Bowtie Grille || SLP CAI || SLP SFC || SLP STB || AZP&S Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator w/ 3psi Boost || Sullivan Aluminum Racing Pedals || Yank ST3500 || B&M 24K Tranny Cooler || Jet-Hot Hooker LT Headers w/ ORY || Hypertech 160 T-Stat || SLP Fan Switch || 17 x 9.5 Aluminum Z06 Wheels || Nitto 555R's || Macewen White Faced Gauges w/ Red Dash Bulbs || Xenon Headlights.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:07 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by unclejohn:
Just remember one thing. The Vettes come with a Friction mod mixed with the synthic oil so the engine can break in. hope you have some miles on your engine. </font>
Have about 3000 miles, is that enough? Thanks for the heads up........

------------------
Old 06-26-2002, 07:11 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Btchslp:
Too bad ridiculus rumors get started like M1 eating silicon, the product wouldn't last 6 months on the store shelf if that were the case. Anyway, I use M1 in everything I own that has a motor including my lawnmower. I've been using it for years, and I've had vehicles with over 175,000 on them running great and still pulling 7000lb boats, etc. Another very important advantage of synthetics is that they pull heat from the motor much better than regular oil, to the tune of about 10 degrees across the operating range, heat kills so if you can reduce it your ****e will last much longer. And you can run it at least twice as long in your motor as compared to regular oil. On my daily driver (95 Grand Prix) I go 10,000 miles on an oil change and the motor is still perfect I don't even have to add any oil (doesn't burn or leak) until the next oil change.

</font>
Thanks Buddy, I put the M1 in at about 3000 miles, any truth to what the guy said about the vettes having an additive, is the higher oil pressure I'm getting a problem? I would think it's good to have higher pressure as long as it's not pegging ?? Thanks for the info. Later........

------------------
Old 06-26-2002, 07:16 PM

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by supersp0rt:
just to mix things up...id try some redline oil. full synthetic and is believed to be the best stuff on the market via many people. my next oil change im going with it.

</font>
Thanks, something to think about. Later..

------------------
Old 06-26-2002, 07:29 PM

Question

Any real difference between 5w30 and 10w30?I can't seem to find the 5 quart jugs of 5w30 anywhere but I see 10w30 all over the place.I do drag my car pretty often and it gets pretty hot down here in the south.
Kevin

------------------
1998 Black Z28
SLP lid,SLP MAF ends,!FRA,!EGR,and a Dynomax cat-back
1/8
8.54 @ 83.64 mph
Pics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mobil One