LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Mechanical or electrical gauges???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 08:45 PM

Old 12-10-2002, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by DeathBuzzz
It depends on what guages you are doing... really you should use electrical for all of them and either tie into the PCM or buy a sending unit. This way you dont have to run any sort of vacuum/oil/nitrous/etc from the engine bay into your face...

for both oil and water temp you should be able to tie into the PCMs output to the guage cluster, right?
Someone back me up here, the only real experience I have with guages was on my 99 v6 which had a different setup for the guages ( hehe, no tach output to the guage cluster?!?! what kind of crap is that... )

Really there is no reason for fluid filled guages ( unless of course you like the look and dont mind paying the money ). They are for use in drag cars and race cars that vibrate constantly ( bad idle, dirt track, etc... ) . The liquid stops the needle from jumping around.

~Brian
Mechanical are more accurate but yes, you have all those little tubes running everywhere. Honestly, if your high powered, I think you want the accuracy that comes with a mechanical gauge. Electrical gauges are easier to install but not always as accurate as a gauge actually feeling the impulse of what it is reading. Such as Oil Pressure actually getting oil sent to it as opposed to an ECU telling the gauge what to do. If you can get mechanical, get it. Some gauges you can't.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Eric @ DMS
Run electrical guages. Mechanical gauges are typically installed outside the car (i.e. below the rear vent of a cowl hood outside the windshield). Most mechanical gauges require you to run hoses from the particular location your gauge reads. These gauges are installed outside for safety reasons (i.e. hose blowing etc).
Untrue, the only mechanical gauge that people NEED to put outside of the car is fuel pressure. It actually says on the gauge, for underhood use only. Every other mechanical gauge can be placed where ever you want them. I have boost, and oil pressure inside cockpit. No problems ever. Fuel pressure gauges are just to scary to have inside your car. If a line blows on the boost gauge you have air blowing in. Big deal, if you blow a fuel pressure line then your screwed if it's in your car. Get mechanical if possible.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:58 PM

I disagree toykilla:

Older electrical guages were not as accurate as mechanical, but there are better senders now... There is no reason to have to deal with running an oil line into the cabin for *MOST* needs. Mind you, if you are building a stripped, all-out-race car then sure, no reason not to have a little more accuracy associated with mechanical. However, I inferred from his original post that this was a daily driver. Why even risk it if you drive your car every day.

Boost guages are a different story. Its just as easy ( if not easier ) to run vacuum lines to the cabin as opposed to installing a sending unit. And youre right, its not a big deal to blow a vacuum line, but you argue that point while you have a mech. oil pressure guage there. How would you feel if you blew that line?

Just my $.02...

~Brian
Old 12-11-2002, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by DeathBuzzz
I disagree toykilla:

Older electrical guages were not as accurate as mechanical, but there are better senders now... There is no reason to have to deal with running an oil line into the cabin for *MOST* needs. Mind you, if you are building a stripped, all-out-race car then sure, no reason not to have a little more accuracy associated with mechanical. However, I inferred from his original post that this was a daily driver. Why even risk it if you drive your car every day.

Boost guages are a different story. Its just as easy ( if not easier ) to run vacuum lines to the cabin as opposed to installing a sending unit. And youre right, its not a big deal to blow a vacuum line, but you argue that point while you have a mech. oil pressure guage there. How would you feel if you blew that line?

Just my $.02...

~Brian
First off. How many stories have you heard about ANYONE blowing any kind of oil pressure lines. I highly doubt your gonna blow a tube with 80psi AT MOST. That's when car is just started and oil is higher. 60psi is normal at WOT. The fact is electronics break, go bad, screw up, whatever you want to call it. I've never heard of a mechanical gauge going bad in my life (I'm sure it's happened but I haven't heard of it) but I've heard about bad electronic boost gauges all the time. It's just my perference to have mechanical. In my case I need to know that the gauge isn't lieing 100% of the time. Electronic gauges just aren't as good. For example. An air/fuel ratio gauge. If your o2 sensor goes bad it will be unaccurate. There is just too many things that can happen with electric gauges. If this breaks, that gauge is ****ed. If that breaks, this gauge is ****ed. Mechanical is accurate all the time. If your not getting oil pressure the mechanical gauge will tell ya. If your sending unit breaks your electrical oil pressure gauge will be inaccurate. They do break folks.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:18 AM

Exclamation

Originally posted by toykilla
First off. How many stories have you heard about ANYONE blowing any kind of oil pressure lines. I highly doubt your gonna blow a tube with 80psi AT MOST. That's when car is just started and oil is higher. 60psi is normal at WOT.
It is possible to rupture an oil line at 60-80 PSI. Also, the oil line (after time) has a higher tendency to come off. I have seen them come off at NHRA (and other serious race car) events. If you've never seen a mechanical gauge "break", you lead an isolated life.

Originally posted by toykilla
The fact is Mechanical break, go bad, screw up, whatever you want to call it. I've never heard of a Electrical gauge going bad in my life (I'm sure it's happened but I haven't heard of it) but I've heard about bad Mechanical boost gauges all the time. It's just my perference to have Electrical. In my case I need to know that the gauge isn't lieing 100% of the time. Mechanical gauges just aren't as good. ... There is just too many things that can happen with Mechanical gauges. If this breaks, that gauge is ****ed. If that breaks, this gauge is ****ed. Electrical is accurate all the time. If your not getting oil pressure the Electrical gauge will tell ya. If your lines break/get damaged your Mechanical oil pressure gauge will be inaccurate. They do break folks.
Hmm, you can say the same for the opposite.

Originally posted by toykilla For example. An air/fuel ratio gauge. If your o2 sensor goes bad it will be unaccurate.
OEM O2 sensor are not accurate enough to tell you your air/fuel ratio on the fly. Wide band O2 are. Those guages are a light show only.

As you said toykilla, for YOU that is your choice. But the guy asking the question, that might not be, hence he is asking the proffesionals that have true experience.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:37 AM

lol, this is truely pathetic. How much you guys would just love to argue. You talk of professionals? Your a professional? I don't think so. Mechanical gauges are more accurate and do last longer. It's not possible to break the tubing for the oil pressure gauge at 60psi. If it was, i'd have broken the one I have in my car multiple times in the last 3 years i've used it. Leaks maybe possible but actually destroying the tubing due to pressure. HIGHLY doubtful. He was asking for opinions, I was merely stating the benefits of mechanical gauges. Leave to a v8 owner to get personal and start throwing mindless, childish insults out. In the bull**** about air/fuel gauges, we've been through that. Just because the Camaro o2 sensor blows doesn't mean mine does. Correct, a wide band will give more accurate readings but my o2 volt gauge isn't far off that. The air/fuel gauge was just an example of how electric gauges aren't always accurate. Keep up with the conversation and stop making it personal.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:08 AM

ToyKilla~~I understand what you r saying about mechanical gauges being more accurate. They work off a pressure not a voltage reading. However, I'm not comfortable with introducing high pressure oil and 212 degree water 8 inches from my face. I think the electrical gauges is what I will go with.
Again you've all been great help and I have learned considerably from you guys.
Thanks Tim
Old 12-11-2002, 10:28 AM

you agree it could leak? ok would you want oil or coolant leaking in your car? or would you want to not toice it leaking run low on either and have engine problems i don't think i would!
Old 12-11-2002, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by PhantomTA
if that was true you would be out of buisness
Yes its true..yes our customers know it..and we're far from being out of business
Old 12-11-2002, 01:21 PM

well i have to jump in here on toykilla's side. if you know any history (or up to dateinfo) on mechanical gauges, youll know they are very often more accurate, more reliable, and last longer. granted, the electrical have come a long way, but dont always perform as well as the mech. for boost, i will always recommend mech. fp, assuming its inside, has to be elec. as we all know. many other things i will recommend mech for as well...keep in mind the track record that they have -- you go with what works best. many of my personal friends have boost with lots of gauges and they ALL run mech. autometer mech gauges...noone have had a problem with any of them whatsoever.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:30 PM

Yes its true..yes our customers know it..and we're far from being out of business

Eric,

Okay help me be happy by giving me free springs
Old 12-11-2002, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by PhantomTA
Eric,

Okay help me be happy by giving me free springs
Sure no problem. I think shipping will come out to over $155

Psst a little secret...we try to help everyone out by not outrageously marking up our products

Of course..if we gave away free stuff to everyone then yes we'll be out of business. You don't want to see that do you?
Old 12-11-2002, 04:26 PM

Sure no problem. I think shipping will come out to over $155

Psst a little secret...we try to help everyone out by not outrageously marking up our products

Of course..if we gave away free stuff to everyone then yes we'll be out of business. You don't want to see that do you?
LOL..

i was setting you up the entire time for asking for free springs

i didnt think of the shipping costs tho!

haha
Old 12-11-2002, 04:47 PM

Well lets start small then. How about an XL shirt so I can advertise for you??

Quick Reply: Mechanical or electrical gauges???