LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

LT install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 10:03 AM

LT install?

i am lookin into doin a full exhaust but i dont wanna spend money on a shop puttin in the headers, so how hard are LT's to put in?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:31 PM

Re: LT install?

Originally Posted by Taintedz28
a double barrel bitch and a bucket of homosexual monkeys
I like that explanation , seriously, if you take your time and hopfully have someone to assist you it is not that bad. Alot depends on the brand of headers you buy as far as fittment goes and I STRONGLY suggest you replace your motor mounts while you have the exhaust manifolds off because once you install the headers and then decide that you should have changed out the motor mounts that double barrel bitch and a bucket of homosexual monkeys will be waiting for you. I installed my pacesetter LT's, prothane motor mounts, and hooker catback by myself in a weekend taking my time. The headers were a piece of cake, they fit perfect! The motor mounts were a little time consuming, but certainly not rocket science. The catback was the hardest only because I had zero help with holding things up and making sure everything looked right before tightening all the clamps.I say go for it ,you'll be glad you did it and you will save your cash for that "next mod".
Old 07-09-2006, 12:38 AM

headers are cake. just give yourself probably a solid day to get everything done. dont forget all of your electrical connections and just pay attention to what you are doing.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:53 AM

this is my next project. how bad are the SLP LT's to install? i heard they were a "double barrel bitch and a bucket of homesexual monkeys" x 2! (btw, thats the funniest damn thing ive heard all day...thanks).
Old 07-09-2006, 01:03 AM

If you can get the car up high enough you will be able to get the job done. It took me at most 10 hrs but I did alot of other things in the process. Just take off the coil packs and take your time removing the manifolds.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:17 AM

cats or no cats? that is the question.

How much louder will the car be without cats (the volume doent concern me, i just dont want that raspy tinny sound)? and does it smell really bad (like gas) without them? i also have clearance issues now with the new springs.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:47 AM

lmao, yea ima def a trip with my explanations huh
tainted...you definatly are a trip. now about that 90yr old grannie with the saggin *******...so about those SLP LT's...i do know about there low hanging abilitites, but i have also heard they rae really good. i can deal with the smell...thats for the mustangs behind me , the volume; well, i like to **** off the neighbors and want it super loud; but the raspy ness....how bad does it get?

if i want the volume, should i go with some highflow cats and a cutout?
Old 07-09-2006, 02:41 PM

sounds good to me!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:01 PM

my bad-2-da-bone LT header install guide

not mechanically hard, basic tools. but logistically its difficult due to space.

i'd stay away from the SLP if i were you....just my $.02

may i also suggest swappping out the motor mounts while you have the manifolds off. it will pretty much eliminate flex and clearance issues, and is 100X easier with everything removed.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:20 PM

Do poly engine mounts cause any more interior noise/vibrations compared to stock? I mean, if any of you know what it's like installing a poly trans mount, often times they cause a fair bit more vibration to be transmitted into the interior of the car. Just curious if it's really noticeable that the engine mounts are solid?
Old 07-09-2006, 05:48 PM

i didn't notice any added vibration or noise with my motor mounts.

granted i already had a poly torque arm mount and trans mount.

even with teh cam now...it doesn't seem to vibrate much
Old 07-10-2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Do poly engine mounts cause any more interior noise/vibrations compared to stock? I mean, if any of you know what it's like installing a poly trans mount, often times they cause a fair bit more vibration to be transmitted into the interior of the car. Just curious if it's really noticeable that the engine mounts are solid?
Poly engine mounts don't transmit as much into the cockpit as the trans mounts do because of the location. The trans mount is right at your elbow. The engine mounts are forward of the firewall.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 AM

Good stuff ... thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
I have not noticed any added vibrations at all , the only thing that I noticed is that the exhaust no longer bangs on the bottom of the car!!
Old 07-14-2006, 02:07 AM

so how much hp and tq would i gain from a full hooker exhaust?

Quick Reply: LT install?