LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Lowering needs

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 09:19 AM

Lowering needs

I want to lower my vert and make it stiffer, what springs do you like and what else do I need to make it stick better and launch harder? Should I get better LCAs and relocation brackets? Does anyone know the codes for the optional SS suspension? I know my t-top SS was much stiffer than this one in the shocks and springs and I suspect it had the handling package and this one doesn't. And yes I know verts aren't as stiff to start with.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:51 AM

I have the DMS springs, Suspension Technologies 35mm Front Sway Bar and a BMR STB. I'm still running the stock Decarbons but recommend getting Bilstien HD's.

The car handles like it's on rails now. I'm hoping when I get Bilstiens on it will be even better.

BTW - alignment for my setup is : 0 toe 4.5 Caster -1 Camber.
Or as close as they can get to that anyway.

The big part there is the Camber. I'll hopefully get my pictures developed soon and show you how the springs look.

I wouldn't expect it to gain any at the strip when you lower it and put a big fat heavy front bar on it though.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:49 AM

Lowering the car will actually decrease efficeint weight transfer thus leading to less traction. There are many springs out there. It depends what you want. If you want your car to handle quite well, I'd go with a matched set of springs and sway bars (I recommend G2 springs/sway bars for this). If you just want appearance, BMR offers a solid 1" drop or Eibach Prokit for a 1.5" drop.

Once you get springs you will need an adjustable panhard rod to recenter the rear end. You will more than likely need lower control arm relocation brackets to make the LCAs parallel or slightly downward to the ground. A set of LCAs is not necessary, but I'd recommend doing it now since you're adding everything else.

Shocks...this is a huge debate. Depends on money and what you plan to do with your car. I'd have to say Bilsteins are a very good all around shock though. A solid choice imo, but there are better. We'd have to know your exact wants with the car to be able to make a specific recommendation to fit your wants.

Subframe connectors. You should already have them! They will greatly stiffen up the car. Many companies make them. Go with what you want. I don't know a whole lot about the 'vert sfcs, but I'd recommend a diamond type sfc such as SLPs or Kenny Brown Double Diamonds as these will work better than a simple 2 point design.

Sway bars are one of the largest handling improvement mods. I strongly recommend figuring out exactly what you want to do with the car before just buying the first you see. This need to be matched with your springs in order to see the best results. You'll see good results either way, but there could be much room for improvement.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:56 AM

goal

I want the car as a street setup, not really for track. I'm looking for better handling but don't want to lose the traction I have now. I will be camming the car next year but for now am throwing Mac med length headers, gutted cats, mac y-pipe, Borla and cutout in. I'm basically getting the Macs and cats for free so that's why I'm using them. I won't go with the ORY because in Ct we're supposed to be getting the emissions back in Sept so I dont want to take other headers off the vehicle to reinstall cats.