LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

"LOW OIL" Lamp want go off - Oil is ok

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 11:21 AM

"LOW OIL" Lamp want go off - Oil is ok

Hi Guys,

greetings from good old germany.

Ive a Problem. My Camaro Z28 tells me, that it need a little bit oil... So far no Problem... I give my engine 1L nice Oil and drive 10mins till home.

But.. the light want go off!? The gauge tell me: "LOW OIL" but Oil Pressure are OK and my Oil indicator tells me, that the Level is exactly in the operating Range!? WTF?

So my question, whats up with this "LOW OIL"-LAMP?

P.S. I disconnect the Battery for 1 Minute and test again.. but the same result..
And.. im sure, that i go to the right OIL-Parts on my Engine. (ENGINE OIL and not TRANSMISSION).

Please Help
Old 03-29-2005, 12:51 PM

Re: "LOW OIL" Lamp want go off - Oil is ok

There's a LOW OIL light on our dash?! I never knew that!?

You're sure it's not the CHANGE OIL light??

Otherwise, my best guess is that the wires going to the sensor are probably disconnected, or a wire has broken or something? I really can't say for sure, 'cause obviously I just found out about the low oil light!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:33 PM

The low oil sensor is supposed to be on the passenger side of the oil pan. (Never looked for it). Check the wires, if they're OK I'd just replace it next time you change the oil.

Last edited by 2001NBMZ28; 03-29-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:53 PM

Jack...
like said above, could it be the oil change light? if so just put the car in the power position right before your turn the car on and hold in the trip odometer thing till it goes away. other than that, get it scanned or go to the dealership. but i just noticed you are in germany so i dont know about a dealership, lol. BTW off topic, so you live in germany and drive a Z28? thats gotta be a rare thing around there? do you get alot of comments on your car there?

Last edited by 9TransAM4; 03-29-2005 at 04:55 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 03-29-2005, 09:45 PM

low oil sensor is on the drivers side of the pan.. next to the oil drain bolt. It takes like a 23mm wrench or something like that to take it out.

You have to get a screw driver in there to unclip the clip that holds the sensor in. On some models is a serious pain. If u cant get it cut the wires and reattach them later.

Also the 2 wires that lead to the sensor could be burnt, broken or too brittle.. U should inspect them.. I think the part is like 20 bucks.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:01 AM

Thx for answeres.

I think its not rare, to drive a camaro in germany.
he Comments are good, its a very nice car. I drive 6 Years Camaros and i will never change to an other car like an V8

Its a great car and i love it. Its a big fun to drive around the Autobahn over 160Mph. I make a lot of videos, but thats to big to Host it. Today i must go to work, but after that i will show a couple of Pics, if you are interestet.

OK back to my Problem. Yes, its the "LOW OIL" Lamp. I know about the "OIL Change" Lamp. Bevor i start the engine, all lights will go on and there are 2 (LOW OIL and OIL Change. I make an Photo after the work.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:07 AM

Looked it up on my parts CD this morning. It screws into the passenger side of the pan. GM PN is 24507190, "SWITCH, ENG OIL LVL IND" and lists for $46.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:25 AM

Yeah, there definitly is a low oil sensor. Mine will come on very rarely if I am parked on a weird angle even though the oil level seems to be ok. I think the sensor is probably in a crappy position.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:42 AM

doh forgot i was in ls1 tech.. yeh oil sensor on the other side.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:32 AM

Thx again for the answeres.
(Sorry for little mistakes in my lenguage)

Today in the morning, ive checked the problem and found no broken wires or something. I disconnect and connect the sensor and start the engine.. the light is still on. Then i change the clothes for work (the engine is ca. 25 minutes off) and then i start the engine again and "weee" the light is off

Hm, thats crazy Now 5 Minutes before i write this reply, i call my local dealer in dresden and he tells me, that he think, that the Oil - Sensor is "hanging" - its a little error. If this problem returns, i drive to him and he will check this stuff.

Last weekend i give my car an enginewash, so it can be, the water "fugged" the sensor-connection.

But by the way, i will make a photo from this light, so can you see where its located on the dash. After the work i will post it here. The Export-Version have an other dash like the US-version.

Back to the other Question:
American cars in germany have a good community. German cars or japanese cars and all the other stuff you can drive, have are difference. American cars, thats my opinion looks very good and have lovely big engines. And this engine sounds very, very good
A lot of german cars are also fast and have a lot of horsepower, but every people have an other opinion. A big plus in germany is, that we have the option, to drive on a lot of parts of our Autobahn so fast we ever want (no tempolimit). The bad side of this driving is the traffic.. To many cars and the fun will go away.. . The most people on a normal day, with normal traffic drive not faster then 120mph.

I will not bull****ting, but if the american community interested, whats up the german people and the "Autobahn", i will make in the next weeks a couple of pics and a driving video and send it to every one via mirc (ripped in divx).

A lot of people dont understand to drive cars with big engines, specialy american cars. But one thing is ever the same: Where ever i drive the camaro , the people stand still and look for the sound .. the sound it comes out from my 3" Performance Exhaust

Warning.. bad joke: Not all germany are "Krauts"

EDIT, here are the pics:

Last edited by JACK RABBITz; 03-31-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:03 PM

did you change your mirrors? in the pic you provided, it sure looks like you have a different set of mirrors...never seen that before.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:59 PM

In Europe, car mirrors have to be able to fold in. Export versions of Camaro's had to be fitted with foldable mirrors or they couldn't be driven legally on the streets in Europe.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan's LT1
In Europe, car mirrors have to be able to fold in. Export versions of Camaro's had to be fitted with foldable mirrors or they couldn't be driven legally on the streets in Europe.

Yes, but its not 100% correct. We must NOT have foldable mirrors (i dont know about law and order). A lot of cars have static mirrors. I think thats a export-rule for other countrys. So the mirror is bigger than the US-Version.

Here are MISC some Pics:
(All Pictures are scaled to ca. 800x600)

Here US-Car-Meeting in germany "Lausitzring-Raceway"

This AUTOBAHN-Images ive made with a screenshot-tool from a couple of my videos:

A couple of reasons to make holliday in germany:
(Sorry its a little bit offtopic)

DRESDEN:

MEISSEN (my hometown - europes first porcellain by boetger - its near dresden)

Last edited by JACK RABBITz; 04-01-2005 at 05:09 AM.