LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Just installed Magnaflow Catback

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 09:58 PM

Thumbs up Just installed Magnaflow Catback

After much consideration I decided to go with a Magnaflow catback exhaust. The pipe and muffler arrangement look great. I like the look of the dual chrome tips coming out the back.

A local muffler shop had the appropriate catback for my year on the shelf. So I had them install it and I was outta there in less than two hours.

The sound at start up was a mellow rumble. Not as loud as I expected which was nice. The rumbling exhaust is throaty and mellow at lower RPMs and under light throttle i.e. keeping your speed constant. This exhaust system is the happy medium I was hoping for. Quiet when just getting from one place to the other and wicked when you stand on it.

Another issue I brought up in another thread was the loss of low-end torque. The theory goes when you install a free flowing catback sytem you loose back pressure. This loss results in the loss of low-end torque. The theory makes sense since larger freer flowing pipes mean less velocity of exhaust gases at low RPMs causing more back pressure. HOWEVER, theory and reality don't always coincide. I feel no torque loss but a gain in SOTP power throughout the torque curve.

I will be getting it dyno'ed soon, then we'll know for sure!

Magnaflow exhaust is a good system.

Last edited by Mister Will; 10-28-2002 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:44 AM

That's good to know about the Magnaflow catback, I'm going to put one on the 99SS soon and didn't want an loud system,but a nice mellow rumble. It's also good to know you didn't experience any low-end torque loss. Thanks for the report.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:13 AM
Ray66

Thumbs up Pics????

Thanks Mr. Will for your exhaust report. I just purchased a GMMG cat-back and will install it soon on my 01 SS. I'll let you guys know how I like it.

Mr. Will, do you have any picsof your Magnaflow cat-back?

Old 10-29-2002, 10:56 AM

Magnaflow Catback

I just had the Magnaflow installed on my 02 SS. The sound is exactly what I was looking for and I also like the look of the huge chrome outlets. I had an opportunity to let it out the other day and I was impressed with the sound when my foot was almost into the injectors. I am interested in your dyno results as I am certain that additional hp and torque were gained, would like to know about how much. Fuel consumption seemed to improve nearly 10% if my calculations are right.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:58 PM

Thumbs up

I am afraid I don't have the equiptment (digital camera) or the know how to post any picks of the Magnaflow catback. Just imagine the stock exhaust tips replaced with 3.5 in chrome pipes. The look just says american muscle car. A web site called the f-body shop (www.thefbodyshop.com) has a video under the sight and sound section. You can also get a look at the Magnaflow web site (www.magnaflow.com).

It will probably be a few weeks before I get the car dyno'ed. But after driving the car a few days, SOTP meter says its quicker. I will let you know the results.

I will also keep you posted on any improvements in mpg.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:46 PM

Ahh looks like we have another Magnaflow convert. Just wait until you get headers, and then you will really like the sound.
Magnaflow

-Mike
Old 11-20-2002, 05:17 PM

So the magnaflow is a little louder than stock at idle, or not? And does it have more of a tuned sound, than a raspy no muffler sound. i want something that sounds really nice, but not really loud.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:45 PM

Thumbs up The Magnaflow is what your looking for.

Originally posted by notstock4long
So the magnaflow is a little louder than stock at idle, or not? And does it have more of a tuned sound, than a raspy no muffler sound. i want something that sounds really nice, but not really loud.
At idle, the exhaust is a little louder than stock . When it is newly installed it will be very mellow and you will be wondering if it is any different . Then when you step on it the Magnaflow cat-back comes to life. the Magnaflow muffler will break in. It is a straight through pipe design surrounded by wire mesh and after a few weeks the hot exhaust gases will break the muffler in. The result is a smooth rumble at idle (I just love the sound when it starts up in the morning). When you increase the throttle the rumble increases to a thunder. Finally, this system has no rasp.

Think sixties muscle car with manners.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:15 AM

I installed the Magnaflow cat-back on my 99SS a couple of weeks ago and I'm very happy with the sound and the looks of those two 3 1/2" polished stainless pipes.

I'm running the 25% opening plate on the Borla thats on my 98Z28 and it's considerably louder than the Magnaflow. The Magnaflow has a mellower sound that really comes alive when throttle is applied. I'm very pleased with the sound of both cars, both are now B-A-D A-$-$.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:25 AM
Ray66

Exclamation Damnit....you guys!

Anybody wanna trade a new GMMG polished for a Magna-Flow?

Old 11-21-2002, 11:09 AM

Let us know what it sounds like in a couple weeks.. after it has had a chance to burn it. It should get a little louder. I have a friend looking at a MagnaFlow so it would be good info to tell them.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:48 AM

I love mine! I haven't seen an loss in torque. It sounds great, you can hear my car coming blocks away, I love it. From behind, he polished muffler looks great and the 3.5 inch tips are sweet. You only have a very very small resonance on the freeway but it isn't annoying. It's great to be heard again.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:00 AM

It looks like all of us that have the Magnaflow catback are heppy with the looks, the performance and the sound. It is only a little louder than stock at an idle. Significantly louder while cruising at around 75mph than stock, turn up the radio if it annoys you. Watch out when you put your foot into it. The thing positively roars!!!! It stirs your soul and you gotta love it.