LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

IMPORTANT! Please Help Bad Press

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 10:31 AM

Post IMPORTANT! Please Help Bad Press

Hey fellow members! I was reading the washington post a while ago i dont know if any of you read the article on the camaro ss tested last weekend?

For a lack of better terms it was on the vervge of slander. It was one sided, un informaed, and for the most part inaccurate. This is not just my opion either. He was acctualy "factualy" incorrect.

So, do all the world and owners a favor and write this guy an email about how you feal about your camaro!
Please post these links on other forums and tell friends.

Here are the links:
article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Jun15.html

The writers email:
brownw@washpost.com

Let him/me know what you all think.
He is taking a cheep shot. Plus this is the stuff that give camaros and thir owners a bad name.

~Bill Brooks
Old 06-18-2002, 10:58 AM

Sent this off to Mr. Warren G.

Warren,

I am sure it was not your intent to bash one of the icons of America, the modern muscle car. I do understand that people view cars in many different ways. I believe that the majority of the population views cars only as transportation, but then there is the other extreme the car fanatic.

I guess I would fall into that latter category. You see Warren I love cars, and the ones that appeal to me most are the ones with large V-8 engines. Even more specific I have always loved the F-bodies with there gas guzzling engines and the ability to smoke the rear tires for several feet. Now the day has come when GM has stopped production of this vehicle and you choose to sourly send it off as if to say good riddance!

I ask you this Warren, what other car in America or anywhere else can you get this kind of performance for the money? I have owned 4 f-bodies in my years. The latest is an ’02
SS Camaro, in Silver without the red paint job. I did not care for that. But what I do like is the 325 Rear Wheel Horse Power under the hood…..that’s right at the rear wheels. Although GM advertises 325 crank HP my SS has this at the rear wheels! I can smoke just about any stock “ricer” “high tech” car as you mention in your article. And guess what I can hang in the curves as well. The back seats work just fine, they hold my helmet for when I go to the track and rip off low 13 and high 12 sec. quarter miles times at over 108 MPH. Can your Volkswagen GTI 1.8t Zooom…Zooom GTi come close to that ??

By the way what kind of cars have you owned? What do you drive now? I am just curious.

And what if your pocket rocket gets in an accident, in that case I’ll take my heavy old Camaro any day over a lightweight plastic 1.8L turbo charged coffin !

The Camaro and Firebird may have reached the end of their production for now….but it lives on in the hearts of real Americans like myself.

Peace.

PJ Schneider
Chandler, AZ
2002 Camaro SS #3586
Old 06-18-2002, 11:05 AM

Exclamation

Wow, thank you! good points you touched a few things I missed.. this guy is a a real schmuck. he cant even write a legit responce.. its insane.. but its a good laugh too.

so write him a letter if you are motovated!

~Billy
Old 06-18-2002, 11:38 AM

I seriously think that people like this are just jealous that car guys get so much joy out of a true performance vehicle and people like Mr Brown are too "mature" to enjoy a real performance automobile for what it is.

Thus, they play the sour grapes act when people talk about how much they love their F-bodies, whining about the cat hump or the ergonomics or whatever...then when they stop making the car, people like Mr. Brown try to come off all high-and-mighty, as if to say, "I was right! Ha-Ha."

Mr. Brown is obviously not a "car guy," and no amount of E-mail will express to him the enjoyment we find with these cars.

He's just a sad, boring old man.

[This message has been edited by squirrels (edited June 18, 2002).]
Old 06-18-2002, 12:00 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by squirrels:
I seriously think that people like this are just jealous that car guys get so much joy out of a true performance vehicle and people like Mr Brown are too "mature" to enjoy a real performance automobile for what it is.
</font>

You know what, you might not be too far from the truth. I just finished my first year of college, and in my Intro to Pyschology class, the proffessor talked about a situation that when you are extremely jealous or really want something, the person acts the extreme opposite of how they are. Hence, Mr. Brown is completely "disgusted" with [b]OUR[b] Camaros and Firebirds, he will act as if he truely is disgusted w/ them. And as far this, "it's done nothing to attract the Generation X and Y types." I just bought my 99 Camaro Z-28 about 3 weeks after my 19th B-day, and I was upset I couldn't find the SS in my price range. If that's not attracting younger genourations, then I don't know what is.

------------------
1999 Z-28 Camaro
T-Tops, 6 speed

If I had extendo arms, sure I would use them to steal me some sticky buns. But I would also use them to rescue children stuck in wells!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:11 PM

Not attracted to younger generations anymore my ****. I'm only 18 and just bought a 2000 Z28 a month ago, and so many of my friends love how the car looks, and even more people on the street when I'm driving it give me compliments.

Its that dang fast and furious movie that has these old guys into thinking we only like imports.

------------------
2000 Camaro Z28
- Currently stock
Old 06-18-2002, 12:19 PM

obvisously the guy can't drive since he believes the car can't turn..

he then got dissed by a ricer.. oh no!

Then he says how the f-bod hasn't done anything to attract the import crowd.. Umm, thats a good thing!! Else it wouldn't be a Camaro.

Obviously the guy the isn't a car enthusiast.. nothing is gonna change is mind.

Old 06-18-2002, 12:27 PM

21 years old here... have a 2002 Z28, this is also my 4th F-body. Definately attracted me and most of my friends want one now because of what I've done with mine. They do plenty to attract the younger kids. In fact, isn't that who buys most of the third gens now? Young kids that can't afford the 25000-35000 for a new Z28/SS?

------------------
2002 Camaro Z28
Appearance: White, 5% tint, Black RS style racing stripes, RKSport rear Fascia lettering, SLP bowtie grille, diamond clear corners, gloss black calipers with chrome 'CAMARO' lettering, 17" Z06 rims

Performance: K&N FIPK, 3 inch custom exhaust by Thorley Headers/Jardine Performance, cutout, skip shift eliminator, FRA, DMS subframe connectors, DMS springs, more to come.

Stereo: Boston Pro-Series components, JL Audio 6.5 inch subs in sail panels, Kenwood KDC-X815 head unit, two Alpine V12 amps, Image Dynamics IDQ10 sub in JL Audio Vantage Box, Phatnoise MP3 player (AKA Kenwood music keg)

2001 Camaro RS
White w/ black stripes, all SLP options

1991 Camaro RS
Light blue, 305 V8, tinted windows, stereo system, lowered, KYB struts and shocks, chrome stock rims, Flowmaster exhaust with 3.5 inch tips
Old 06-18-2002, 12:27 PM

lol. from an earlier article. this explains all

"I've put in an order for a 2002 Mini Cooper. It will be velvet red with a white roof, white side-view mirrors and white alloy wheels. I'm getting the base model, with a 1.6-liter in-line four-cylinder engine that develops 115 horsepower at 6,000 revolutions per minute. That's power enough for a car that weighs 2,315 pounds."

He's getting a Mini Cooper.. of course he's not gonna like the Camaro.. and a 20:1 weight/hp ratio is good for him? Leave him be.

Old 06-18-2002, 08:39 PM

mini cooper, ha, about as bad as a f---ing neon. since i have got my 00 WS6 everyone of my friends love the car, especially the performance, and hate the whole ricer/fast and the furious thing. i see more and more v6 camaros/birds/ and mustangs around my area (cause most kids cant afford the v8s) but just proves the total inaccuracy of this article, in that the american sports cars are desired as much as they ever were, just limited by higher insurance costs and cost of loans. not to mention there were a lot more 18-25yr olds in the late 60's as compared to now. so the sales are going to be less.
i wouldn't be caught dead in a mini cooper. hahah
Old 06-18-2002, 08:41 PM

Angry

That guy is full of it. I'm 24 and just traded in my 92 RS for a 2001 Z28, and there's a lot of other folks under 30 that own Camaros in my area. Sure, you can build a ricer to beat an LS1... that is if you don't mind burning out your engine every 10,000 miles. Maybe this guy’s ignorance could be excused if he spent some time actually talking to Camaro people before he wrote his article, but I guess he's much too highbrow to talk to us "little people". I just hope somebody drains the oil out of his beemer.

-"There is no replacement for displacement"

------------------
Sunset Orange 2001 Z28
Old 06-18-2002, 09:04 PM

Exclamation

Sad that his numbers are true. He uses recent prduction numbers as the basis of his arguement. It wasn't until I drove a new Firebird, that I knew what I was missing. I knew in the first two gears. From there I was hooked. I fell in love with a red 2001 Camaro SS Convertible in the brochure and never looked back. I saw a magazine in the grocery store over a year ago. It featured a ~1970 Road Runner convertible with a 440. The owner bought it new and enjoyed it ever since. He quoted numbers that showed lower production numbers. He was quoted as saying something like "nobody wanted this car when I bought it." Most of us will be able to remenence about the days of Camaros & Firebirds, some of us will still have our vehicles. God Bless American Muscle!
---------------------------
01 SS Red Convert., M6 Hrst, all SLP options with center exhaust, FIPK, Nittos, and a happy driver
Old 06-18-2002, 09:21 PM

Thumbs down

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ken S:
obviously the guy can't drive since he believes the car can't turn..

he then got dissed by a ricer.. oh no!
</font>
Too true! Of course some kid in a ricer is going to roll this eyes at an F-bod. He knows he will be out-run AND out-cornered. I'll take my double-wishbone front and torque arm rear over his Mac Pherson struts any day and eat his lunch. Hell, I put a Honda in a ditch last year in my 25-year old Vega on a winding washboard road with stock GT sway bars and a torque arm rear very similar to the "outdated" Camaro set-up; I'm sure I could have done a 360 around the poor kid if I had my Z-28!

I do think the 35LE SS is way overdone, so I can understand why he might feel that way. A plain SS has a lot more class, IMO. But compared to your average ricer complete with an aluminum wing the size of the 767 I fly and TYPE R stickers everywhere, the 35LE looks downright understated!

What a Maroon!

LOL,
Dave

------------------
Dave "Vegatex" English
&lt;'02 Sebring Silver/Ebony Leather Z-28 A4; T-tops, 3.23 gears, ASR.
Mods: Spectacle SFC's/STB, FIPK, de-screened MAF, red calipers, leather shift boot.
96 LT1-powered '76 Vega Wagon, Howell Engine Developments Computer and Harness, Sanderson CC-13HO headers, Be Cool aluminum rad w/dual 11" SPALS, custom cold air induction, 700r4, Modified 7.5" 10 bolt w/Torsen rear diff, 28-spline Moser Custom Alloy axles, 3.42 rear, '98 Camaro rear disks, cross-drilled and slotted S-10 front disks. 2800 pounds of fuel-injected Whoop-***!&gt;
http://h-body.org/people/projects/bu...lt1/index.html

[This message has been edited by LT1der (edited June 18, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by LT1der (edited June 18, 2002).]
Old 06-18-2002, 10:01 PM

Sounds too me like he wanted to test drive a luxury car not a sports car, like the Camaro, off course he hated it. I will always be proud of and love my Camaro and in the end I think old Warren Brown said it best:

"Better to go out in a flame of red, black and silver glory with big V-8 engine snarling and big fat tires burning rubber on the road to hell. Rock on!"

The Camaro has always been and American Muscle Car, I would not want it to go out any other way.

Old 06-19-2002, 12:52 AM

This reporter was obviously driving Pintos and underpowered Ford Festivas or a VW bug during the hey-days of muscle cars. Leave him be to his dickless ignorance.

I scare the crap outta import guys whenever I start up my car, and they give me jealous glances at the gas stations thanks to the Zaino shine

Long live F-Bodies!!

------------------
2002 Red Trans Am WS-6 - Loudmouth Dual/Duals

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT! Please Help Bad Press