LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

How easy is it to replace the cam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 09:45 PM

How easy is it to replace the cam?

Hey guys,

I've got a stock 2002 SS - and I'm looking at true power adders.

On Ebay, check out - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1874506920

Its a 'roller cam from TPIS.'

I've heard of these suckers adding great power, and still maintaining stock usability and drivability.

I know basically nothing about engine work - how hard is it to take out the stock cam, and replace it with an aftermarket one?

Also, are other modifications necessary to get something like this to work? What kind of gains are we talking about, stand-alone?

And any other cams you would recommend - and their rough prices?
Old 12-13-2002, 11:23 PM

it isnt that hard to swap, but it is time consumign adn requires some patience, along with the right tools.

it also helps if you have someone to help that has done a cam swap before. it doesnt have to be in an LS1 but if youve never been into an engine before it might be a little intimidating alone. be sure to read one of the cam swap articles floating around (I'd post a link but I dont know any offhand)

with any cam you will NEED valve springs. this is a serious pain in the but to do in the car.

you should get headers f you dont already have them, they compliment the cam nicely.

the cam isnt all that impressive alone, and a big cam that will give you a good power increase is going to sacrifice at least some driveability.

as for cam recomendations, I have a comp 224/224 on a 112 LSA, that I like, but If I were doing another swap (and I might this spring) I would probably go with a dual pattern favoring the intake side liek the thunder 230/227 on a 111 LSA.

my cam comprimised driveability slightly, but its not too bad, though I have 4.11 gears. something bigger may not be what you are looking for if you want near stock driveability.

I am wiling to put up with an even bigger cam in order to make more power, plus, I love the sound of a big cam.

I would probalby reccomend a Thunder 220/220 on a 114 LSA for better idle, and driveability if that is what is important to you. You could go smaller, but Im not too familiar with any of the smaller cams.

hope this helps a little
Old 12-13-2002, 11:29 PM

If you really only want driveability with a little more power, i'd say go with the Z06 cam or a hotcam or something like that. It seems to me that from what i've been hearing, the Z06 cam will put down some pretty decent #'s. So if you want driveability, you can go with the z06 cam. But I say if you gonna do it, do it right!!!! Go big or go home!!!! hehehe
Old 12-13-2002, 11:43 PM

for driveability the LS6 cam is a good choice, but the hotcam flat sucks IMO... it makes OK power, but it is not the best for driveability. you can get better power and driveability from other cams

but if you want a cam that leaves no doubt in other peoples minds it isnt stock the hotcam will do that, and it is pretty inexpensive. Ive seen them for 350 or so, and they come with valvesprings.

Oh, I forgot to mention prices, MTI and Thunder Racing cams are about 425-450

you can get a custom ground comp for about 350. (this is what i did) but you have to buy valvsprings also (at about 150-175)
Old 12-13-2002, 11:50 PM

oh, one other thing, somtimes computer reprogramming is needed. if its not needed its still a good idea.

you wil most likey have to drill your TB, and get a MAFT if you dont plan on tuning. unless you go real small on the cam.

are you auto or manual?
Old 12-14-2002, 06:10 AM

My car is a M6.

How can a cam sacrifice drivability? I mean, what does it do? Make the engine sound louder? Vibrate more? Alot more touchy with the throttle? I dont get it, how replacing a cam, can make it less 'usable'.

Also, what do the #'s on the cam mean? Suppose I replace my cam with the Z06/LS6 CAM - What kind of power are we talking about just right there? 20hp? 40hp?

You guys rock... this is the most helpful Forum/BB I've ever been a member of.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:41 PM

while a cam will add power in the upper RPM range, it will take away power in the lower RPMs. This makes it harder to take off from stops, and it wont liek to cruise at lower RPMs, particularly in higher gears.

If you look in a cam catalog, you will notice that the powerband goes up as the cam gets bigger.

also, a smaller LSA will bleed off pressure in the lower RPMs, taking power away, and making driveability even worse. Though LSA has less of an impact than duration, because LSA doesnt deviate too much with these cars. 114 or 112 is pretty standard, though they do go as low as 110 and as high as 116, but you dont see many of them.

tuning and gears will definetly help with a big cam and an M6
Old 12-15-2002, 05:01 PM

I ordered a z06 cam from mine, judging from several dynosheets on other vehicles the cam varies anywhere from 30-35rwhp. Which is several tenths off your quarter With headers this can be anywhere from 50-60rwhp over stock with both modifications. The cam is supposed to be so close to stock that somebody put a stocker next to the z06 and could not tell the difference. Personally, I believe that other cams like the tr220 might make a tad more power with headers. However, you can buy a z06 cam/valvesprings/pushrods for under $300 pretty commonly. I paid $252 for mine
Old 12-15-2002, 07:20 PM

This is how I installed my cam..
http://ls1info.com/article.php?sid=49

dont forget a bit of lock tite on
the 3 cam bolts..
Old 12-15-2002, 10:29 PM

Re: How easy is it to replace the cam?

Originally posted by Desolate_Flux
I know basically nothing about engine work...
If I were you, I'd take my car to a good speed shop and pay a professional to do the swap. The LS1's can be a pain to work on, and are not a good engine on which to learn about engine work.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:37 PM

If "you can buy a z06 cam/valvesprings/pushrods for under $300 pretty commonly" - and the gains are 40hp+ - Then why the hell isnt this the second mod AFTER you get Air Filter/Exhaust?

Thats a damn good increase for $300!

How much would an average speed shop install this stuff for?

And if I got the zo6 stuff, is it a simple bit if putting it all in, piecing the engine together, and then drive off?

Nothing extra? No modifications? Nothing I cant have undone for a dealer run?
Old 01-13-2003, 06:27 PM

ttt I'm curious about this as well, anyone?
Old 01-14-2003, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by Desolate_Flux
If "you can buy a z06 cam/valvesprings/pushrods for under $300 pretty commonly" - and the gains are 40hp+ - Then why the hell isnt this the second mod AFTER you get Air Filter/Exhaust?

Thats a damn good increase for $300!

How much would an average speed shop install this stuff for?

And if I got the zo6 stuff, is it a simple bit if putting it all in, piecing the engine together, and then drive off?

Nothing extra? No modifications? Nothing I cant have undone for a dealer run?
Its not that easy...Your forgetting the differneces like Intake manifold, air ducts, heads, exhust manifolds, exhuaust as far as the engine of a LS6 vs an LS1...Also why spend all the money to use the Z06 stuff when you could get much better power from other cams and headers etc etc...
Old 01-14-2003, 11:24 AM

IMO a cam swap is not something a beginner should be taking on. Go for it if you do it with someone familiar with cam swaps, otherwise pay someone else to do it.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:50 PM

LS1 Cam Swap= Easy

You dont have to take the intake off...the lifters just click in place if you spin the cam around 4 or so times...The car has enough room to do it all in the car...Its not that bad...I have done a couple actually.

Quick Reply: How easy is it to replace the cam?