LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Hooker Headers/y-pipe finally got here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:44 PM

Hooker Headers/y-pipe finally got here.

Well the y-pipe has been on back-order for the past month now and it finally got here. MTI wouldn't split the headers and y-pipe up, they wanted to send everything in one package so I'm just now getting them. Now I have to track down one of my friends who is supposed to help me put them on so I can finish the job. I've got everything off now but the stock manifolds.

How much clearance am I going to need under the car? I've got the front end up on rhino ramps and the back end is up on two factory camaro jacks with a floor jack on the rear-end for extra support. There's just enough room that I can roll from my back to my stomach under the car without my shoulders touching anything. I have a friend who has a dad with a lift but I doubt he would let us use it, he doesn't even let his own son use it. I think the best I could do would be to get the car on jack-stands at another of my friend's houses but we wouldn't be able to do that until this weekend at the soonest since he is away at college during the week. Any suggestions would be appretiated.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:53 PM

i would wait till your friend gets back and then put it up on jackstands. you are gonna want as much room as possible under the car so you dont have to fight with the headers to much.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:00 PM

you can also use 6 by 6 blocks like i did with my talon to get it up in the air. i bought a few patio bricks and put the jackstands on them and it got it up there ALOT
Old 07-29-2003, 08:07 PM

I'm going to call a shop I know tomorrow and see if I can use their lift after hours or something. They've been friends of the family for a long long time so they might let me do it. Otherwise I'll be waiting till this weekend.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:14 PM

Post a sound clip when you get it installed

I am also looking to buy the hooker lt's, and I am wondering how they will sound.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2003, 08:55 PM

I just put them on my car with the ory pipe from hooker too. Wow, it sounds sweet. I really love the way it sounds. I also have a cat back too by flowmaster. Make sure you read the directions with those headers, you'll have to take off your stearing arm and an oil thing by the filter. It's just something I fought with until I read about it. Hope you enjoy them, I do.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:46 PM

Re: Hooker Headers/y-pipe finally got here.

Originally posted by LS1-Maniac
There's just enough room that I can roll from my back to my stomach under the car without my shoulders touching anything.
That's not going to be enough. Unless you have really, really, really broad shoulders.
If you get access to a lift, that would definitely help a lot...if not, then you'll just have to do it the hard way.

As already mentioned, if you're going to be doing this with a jack and jack stands then you're going to need some 2x4s or 4x4s or something to put under them. As reference, the bottom of my front tires were about 12-14" off the ground (the back 2 were probably about 10") and that gave us enough room to work with...but it wouldn't have hurt to have had a little more.

You may have to remove the drain plug (I did but I'm not sure with the Hookers) and maybe the oil filter too. Removing the passenger side coils (the rail) would be a good idea too...and spraying some PB Blaster (penetrating lube) on the manifold bolts wouldn't hurt either, I'd spray some on a day or so in advance (to let it really soak in).
Old 07-29-2003, 10:58 PM

I've got all the stuff here to slap on true duals but I'm getting really tired of my car being so loud so I think I'm going to go ahead and put on the hooker cat-back I have sitting in my garage. I dunno if the shop is going to let me us their lift or not. Either way it seems I won't be touching anything until friday night at the earliest.