LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Help out a friend

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 02:57 PM

Help out a friend

I have a 1998 z28 and I want some more power

I have 3 inch exhaust from the y pipe back and slp cold air intake already installed. Its a 6-speed ofcourse. Anyways, I was looking into getting the ls6 conversion kit that GM has, that includs the heads cam and intake manifold, with the parts to install. I was just wondering if that would be a good investment.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Re: Help out a friend

Originally Posted by KupaTroopa
I have a 1998 z28 and I want some more power

I have 3 inch exhaust from the y pipe back and slp cold air intake already installed. Its a 6-speed ofcourse. Anyways, I was looking into getting the ls6 conversion kit that GM has, that includs the heads cam and intake manifold, with the parts to install. I was just wondering if that would be a good investment.
That would depend on what your goals are. Do you want to run 11's? Do you want to make a lot of power? Are you worried about streetability? What is your price limit? There are a lot of variables involved when considering what setup to go with.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:14 PM

Umm....i wanna be fast....plus power...i guess that should go hand and hand. But streetability doensn't matter too much since i have two cars. But a price limit is like....somewhere around 4 grand
Old 12-18-2005, 05:17 PM

For a 4 grand budget you could do a lot better and make a lot more power than just an LS6 conversion. Some better aftermarket heads and a cam other than the LS6 would be better if final horsepower number is your goal. Also look into drivetrain upgrades. Are you going to have to pass emissions and if so how strict?

Abe
Old 12-18-2005, 05:28 PM

for 1/4 the cost of the SLP kit...you can make as much power with just a cam.

won't be as street friendly, but still very managable.

i suggest going through all teh supporting mods then figuring out how much faster you want it...and plan from there.

for starters:

LT headers
ls6 intake
suspension mods to get traction

then i would say a 224 cam and dyno tune and you should be at 375hp to the wheels.

if you want more, try something like the TSP torquer or Futral F13 or F14 cam and make about 400rwhp.

add some 5.3L heads to that or the new Dart 205s and you'll easily be 425+ at the wheels with a good tune.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:18 PM

That all sounds like good advice to me. I hate to say that I live in california though, and the emission standards suck... And also, i want to get new suspension but I am not sure how much I can lower it. I want to save some room because I will want to get some new headers in the future. Also, I have corvette rims on. They are 17's in the front and 18's in the back. So if you know anything about suspension also, please give me your thoughts. also clutch...i want a new clutch, but I am not sure whats going to be something worth buying.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:39 PM

First of all, make sure you have GOOD tires. More power is worthless unless you can put it to the ground,

For Ca, just run stock 00-02 exhaust manifolds. Shorties are legal but are barely any better. Get an LS6 intake w/the EGR provision and the rest of the bolt ons. For a cam, look into the CheaTR from Thunder Racing. Its designed to run with stock manifolds and pass emissions and makes some very good power. You'll need to upgrade the valvetrain while in there, but if you get some ported or aftermarket heads they should come with good springs. If you have a $4k limit, check out AFR heads. OR, you could get an STS turbo system w/methanol injection. Not sure if they have the nod from the CARB environazis though.