LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

help need mods fast!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 01:14 AM

help need mods fast!

Okay about 2 weeks ago I raced my buddies srt-4 that runs 13.4, he was hanging with me about a car behind up until 3rd gear then I would pull hard like 3-4 cars. Tonight we raced again, every time we would go he would be about a half a car ahead of me and I wouldn't pull on him until we'd shift into fourth and I would blow him away because his car would overboost and fuel would cut off. It was basically an even race with him pulling a little harder.
The difference from last week, he turned up his boost and a new wastegate, he was also running cam 2. As for me I had 3 people in the car I need an oil change real bad and I need to change my spark plugs, also my belt is squeaking pretty bad. I am going up to quarter mile on sunday after I fix all that to race him for real, even if I beat him though won't be by much which makes me angry . So my point is by next friday I need to do something drastic to pull real hard on him, guess I can't take defeat from a neon to werll. I was thinking predator programmer and some 4.10's. Give some opinions on what you think would be the best idea I need a big difference. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:06 AM

Re: help need mods fast!

Slap on a shot of nitrous or some slicks or both and you would blow his neon butt out of the friggin water...
Old 10-09-2004, 09:17 AM

race him alone....every 100lbs of extra weight = 0.10 sec slower give or take

unless you have some good tires the 410s will DESTROY your chances of getting traction.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:18 AM

traction traction traction!

Put all the power adders on that you want, but if you can't hook he'll destroy you off the line everytime and you'll always be playing catch up. Get some drag radials and play with the pressure until you get your best traction. SFCs, LCAs and a torque arm will all help.

Lighten up!
Take out your spare, jack, and anything else that you can to drop the weight of your car. Take off you front sway bar either at the track or beofre going. This will help lose weight and gain weight transfer giving you better traction. I just wouldn't care to do much driving with mine off. Kick your friends out of the car as stated before. You were racing with probably an easy extra 450-500 lbs with them.

Definately do the tune up.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:22 PM

Thanks guys I'm doing the tune up today. I will be racing him at the track tomorrow by myself, jack and spare are gone, and I'm probably gonna be running 103 octane. I know for sure I will beat him in the quarter espicially since he will have to turn down his boost because he can't get past third gear without it spiking and cutting off therefore redendering him incapable of finishing the quarter.
However on friday nights we do street racing and it's usually from a roll till about 100, so that's where I need the extra power, traction not much of an issue there. With his boost that high it shuts off at about 90 so when I pass him it's not totally legit. But neither is him running boost that high since obviously his car can't handle it. I don't go to the track much so I'm just hoping to do something to blow him away next friday on the street. Not worried about traction and don't want to spray.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:24 PM

I'll post an update on sunday and let you guys know what happens at the track.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:57 PM

99 z28 m6, t-tops, slp lid, magnaflow catback, ls6 manifold, granatelli maf, slp bellows, free mod's

get your stock maf back on..
dont race with people in the car
are you hooking out of the hole?
gears are kewl. .but depending on how much drag vs everyday highway driving you do, I wouldnt want to go to 4.10s.. I do more highway though.. so for me 3.73s would be the most i would go with my M6.. i love top end so I know I will be keeping my 3.42's for a while.
Spray will get ya there.. but i am not a fan of it..
get your power to the ground.. thats important.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by mrsneakyz28
Thanks guys I'm doing the tune up today. I will be racing him at the track tomorrow by myself, jack and spare are gone, and I'm probably gonna be running 103 octane. I know for sure I will beat him in the quarter espicially since he will have to turn down his boost because he can't get past third gear without it spiking and cutting off therefore redendering him incapable of finishing the quarter.
However on friday nights we do street racing and it's usually from a roll till about 100, so that's where I need the extra power, traction not much of an issue there. With his boost that high it shuts off at about 90 so when I pass him it's not totally legit. But neither is him running boost that high since obviously his car can't handle it. I don't go to the track much so I'm just hoping to do something to blow him away next friday on the street. Not worried about traction and don't want to spray.
You can lose traction from a roll too.

103 won't help you unless you are having a detonation problem. If you are its probably from your MAF causing lean conditions and 103 won't help this. Supreme unleaded is all you need.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:17 PM

Just got back from the track and I spanked the srt-4, cause he can't drive. He was running 13.7's all day with a best of 13.4. I ran a 13.3 on my best run and I missed fourth, didn't even get it in to gear so i coasted across the finish.
Wonder what I would have run I had gotten into gear. My 60 ft was a 2.0 suprisingly on my bald tires. I only got about five runs in and it was my first time at quarter mile so I think that's pretty good. On the way back though we would get on it from a roll and he would pull again, it takes me till fourth gear to pull on him, but from a stop I tear him up. Wouldn't expect that
Anyway I ordered my predator got it off ebay for 150, and I will be getting gears this week.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:28 PM

IIRC, Predators aren't like hypertechs in that you have to send used predators back to the manufacturer to get it set up to accept a new VIN. If its used send it back to the guy and get your $ back. You'll basically only have a scan tool until you send it back to manufacturer, and they don't do it for free.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 10-10-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:52 PM

a set of longtubes will help you out quite a bit.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
IIRC, Predators aren't like hypertechs in that you have to send used predators back to the manufacturer to get it set up to accept a new VIN. If its used send it back to the guy and get your $ back. You'll basically only have a scan tool until you send it back to manufacturer, and they don't do it for free.
Listen, he speaks the truth.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
a set of longtubes will help you out quite a bit.
This is true.

A pulley can't hurt, either. Neither can a cutout. Easy $70
Old 10-12-2004, 01:25 PM

what is a cutout?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:31 PM

Yeah I figured that about the predator. It's like 75 bucks to get it unlocked, but still that's only 225 total for the predator, you can't beat that. It will pay for itself a couple times over like using it instead of o2 sims for longtubes, and speedometer recalibration, and skip shift eliminator, plus scan tool. Hopefully if I get the gears on by next week we are heading up to the track I should see mid 12's with traction. I should have been able to hit 12.9-13.0 if I had not missed fourth gear.

Quick Reply: help need mods fast!