LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Help with headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 06:08 PM

Help with headers

I plan on doing a header swap soon, and I wanted to ask you guys what all I needed to do this. Do they slide into place easily? Do I need to go under the car to put them in or can I put them in from the top? What o2 sims are are good to use with ceramic coated Hooker Headers? Do these headers come with the all the bolts necessary for the heads/collectors? Sorry for so many questions, but I just want to make sure I have all the right stuff before I start. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:53 PM

I have the hooker headers and they fit tight, but fit well. I used small jackstands in the back (2 ton) and large in the front (4ton). Height is the key to the install. I had the front off of the ground by about 2.5 to 3ft and it wasn't too bad. They install from the bottom up. (can't drop them in from the top). Mine did not come with bolts only header gaskets (paper ones at that) the GM metal gaskets are much better to use as I developed a leak within a month. Good luck with the headers.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:06 PM

Do a search and you should find quite a bit of info on header installs. I know at least one person said that they were able to get their headers in from the top but most people go from the bottom and considering you have to disconnect stuff from underneath anyway you might as well do it this way. Only hint I could offer for now is this site:

http://www.go-breslin.com/text.html

I know a lot of people end up with leaks and have to go back and retighten the bolts and/or replace the gasket. I plan on getting some when I get my headers.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:59 PM

abarus, my z is red a4 too . is yours a hard top? I have the factory chome rims on mine. I have never seen one exactly like mine. They all had t-tops. Anyway, thanks for the help man. What kind of bolts did you use for yours? The ones that were with the stock manifolds?
Old 11-10-2003, 11:58 PM

does anyone know if you need to get o2 sims or o2 extensions if the o2 bungs are all ready welded into my hooker headers (that I just purchased)?
Old 11-12-2003, 09:28 AM

Awesome, I would love to see a red Z with no t-tops. Mine does have t-tops. The bolts I used were the stock bolts. They seem to be working well for me. I have not had to re-tighten them.

On the O2 bung issue. The sockets were welded into my headers, I needed 1 extention for the 02 sensor, but that was it. I had the rear 02 sensors deleted via custom programming because I have an off road y pipe.