LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

which Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:00 PM

Exclamation Re: which Headers?

I will probably end up with the pacesetters, the QTPs are too expensive. Thanks though.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:16 AM

Re: which Headers?

Originally Posted by thelastz28
What are the best bang-for-the-buck headers? I have an 02 Z28. What will give me the most power for the money? Where can I buy them? Thanks.
I was reading the other posts. Anyhow, heres my $0.02. First, long tube headers will net 20-30HP. Kooks and QTP headers seems to give slightly higher gains, due in part to larger tuned collectors. Hooker headers, Jet Hots and MAC are also good. I personally got the Dynatech Supermaxx headers.

A good set of LT's with a Y-pipe and all the supporting hardware will run approx $1000.00 Mid-length headers (like MAC) or uncoated headers are cheaper, but you'll still need a Y-pipe (at $200 or so), as well as O2 sims if not using cats (another $80). Gaskets, front O2 extensions, and bolts can run another $50 or so. So, this all adds up.

I would personally suggest getting stainless steel if you can afford it. Headers that are not stainless will rust. Coating is good to keep heat under the hood down too. The downside of coating is I have heard some people complain that the coating begins to peel after a few onths to a year, and the metal underneath will then rust if not stainless.

I would also personally recommend spending the extra $$ and getting a system with Catalytic converts if the car is mainly a street driver (SLP, Kooks, Dynatech, QTP, and MAC all make such systems.) If you have a cat system, you won't need rear O2 sims. Also, it will keep the exhaust slightly quieter and prevent exhaust smell. Most important, if you DONT run cats, you will notice a loss in low end torque. It will shift the torque/HP curve to a higher RPM. The car will probably make more HP overall, but the max torque might not materialize until 4500 or so RPM, vs 3800RPM for a catted system.

Anyhow, hope all this info helps.

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6