LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Header Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 05:13 PM

Header Installation

Hey guys. I have tried the searching but cant seem to find my answer. I'm looking into getting Pacesetter LT's and would like to know how big of a pain it is to intsall these. How long did it take to install start to finish? Was there any fittment issues? do they both go in from the bottom or top? Honestly was there a big butt dyno difference? And if theres anything else i need to know could you fill me in. I would just like to know to see if this is something i want to tackle. Thanks alot
Old 06-04-2005, 06:05 PM

Re: Header Installation

mechanically it isn't hard at all...just some basic bolts to undo.

took me 10 hours total, by myself, my first header install ever.

here is a full writeup:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/243722/11
Old 06-05-2005, 05:53 PM

there a pain in the butt i wont lie.. but i did feel a noticeable gain from the headers.. i also gain gas mileage too
Old 06-05-2005, 06:48 PM

I would hope you would feel a big noticeable change with the headers....20-28 HP most def.

It is a PITA, took me a full week to finish up *just the headers* because of complications, waiting for some tools to come in, and lack of time on some days.

Doing the headers straight should take more than 1 1/2-2 full days.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:01 PM

you must be kidding right??

seriously, i did it all by myself, never done it before, in my driveway.

had to jack the car up 3 separate times cause it wasn't high enough which easily took an hour of time combined (small jack and cinderblocks and jackstands).

10hrs from start to the time i started the car. and i was taking my time.

what tools do you need? 3 or 4 size sockets, couple extensions and rachet handle sizes?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:38 PM

i installed a few sets of pacesetter LTs, on mine all i did was take out the spark plugs (so i didnt break them) and the pass side coils for access to bolts, mine slipped in without kmember grinding, steering removal, real easy
Old 06-05-2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by teke184
you must be kidding right??

seriously, i did it all by myself, never done it before, in my driveway.

had to jack the car up 3 separate times cause it wasn't high enough which easily took an hour of time combined (small jack and cinderblocks and jackstands).

10hrs from start to the time i started the car. and i was taking my time.

what tools do you need? 3 or 4 size sockets, couple extensions and rachet handle sizes?

Not everyone has a tap and die kit ready on hand if they strip a bolt. My dad doesn't have metric tools, mostly american because he works with american made machines, just how our cars should be, not metric, so yeah he had to find some at work.

We also had to get a cutter for the exhaust because the catback system is welded into my stock system, and is held on by a reducer. So imagine cutting through a thick *** stock system, the cat back system and the reducer pipe.

LT1's are different than LS1's....

You need more than 3 or 4 different tools, some of those bolts are a pain in the *** to get to.

Jet Hot long tubes are differant than Pacesetters..

Last edited by blind527; 06-05-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:49 AM

"LT1's are different than LS1's....

You need more than 3 or 4 different tools, some of those bolts are a pain in the *** to get to.
"

than why are you giving advise on LT1 header installs when he's asking about LS1??

i had to cut all my exhaust with a hand held hacksaw...quit whining!

"Not everyone has a tap and die kit ready on hand if they strip a bolt"

if i didn't do mods to my car based on whether i had a specific tool in the off chance i mess up and need it...i'd never get anything done. it's one of those "worry about it when you need to" things. i understand where you're coming from, but if done with patience, proper prep (soak the bolts) and the right tools...most projects go smooth.
as for the metric bolts...well...yeah...you got me on that one. DAMN GM least they are consistent with sizes...mostly 10, 13 or 15mm bolts
Old 06-07-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by teke184
"LT1's are different than LS1's....

"

than why are you giving advise on LT1 header installs when he's asking about LS1??

i had to cut all my exhaust with a hand held hacksaw...quit whining!

"Not everyone has a tap and die kit ready on hand if they strip a bolt"

if i didn't do mods to my car based on whether i had a specific tool in the off chance i mess up and need it...i'd never get anything done. it's one of those "worry about it when you need to" things. i understand where you're coming from, but if done with patience, proper prep (soak the bolts) and the right tools...most projects go smooth.
as for the metric bolts...well...yeah...you got me on that one. DAMN GM least they are consistent with sizes...mostly 10, 13 or 15mm bolts

Does it really bother you that it was difficult for someone else besides yourself, I mean is there REALLY a reason you feel the need to bicker and me and "talk down" to me because it WAS hard??

The stripping or "cross threading" of the bolt holes was done trying to get the headers IN because of limited space, and not being lined up correctly. There was A LOT of patience. I never really worked on my car before......and it really makes no sense what so ever that an "American" car has metric bolts.

I never gave advice on LT1 header installations....things aren't easy just because YOU say they are. How lucky for you that you had to cut the exhaust off with a hacksaw. The installation itself went very smooth, just the little things that got in the way are what took the most time.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:14 PM

"and it really makes no sense what so ever that an "American" car has metric bolts."

hey...i agreed with you on that...
i assume it's because alot of parts are built overseas, and i think there are even plants in canada...so metric makes it more standardized.

and you DID give advise (or estimate on time actually) on LT1 install...he was asking about on an LS1...your only experience (or implied experience) was on an LT1.

if i wanted to know how to change lifters on an LS1...advise on how to change them on an LT1 would be pointless....cause on the LS1 you need to pull the heads...LT1 you don't.

"things aren't easy just because YOU say they are"
and honestly, from all the discussions i've read on LT1 vs LS1 header installs...the LS1 is by far easier...and i think mine and other's experiences show that. you don't have to remove any steering, motor mounts, alternator, starter...just the coil packs and plugs.
i've had many guys tell me that they used my "how to" page and it went VERY smooth. the hardest part was getting the rear plug out on the passenger side.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:54 PM

Jees guys i didnt mean to start WWIII, but anyways thanks for all the advice and it doesnt look like it wil be anything i cant handle. But the sad part is im going to have to wait until winter now because i decided i better pay off some bills with the money i got. But that did leave me with about $3-400. Any suggestions?

Thanks Again
Derek
Old 06-08-2005, 06:23 AM

i got my Flowtech coated headers, orp, o2 extensions, gaskets and blockoff plates all for about $550

save a little more cash and watch the GP forum

as for other suggestions....what car, and what mods are already done?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Derek_91
But that did leave me with about $3-400. Any suggestions?

Thanks Again
Derek

Stall converter if it's an automatic.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:43 AM

Sorry guys. Its an 02 Z28, M6. I put a SLP lid and Magnaflow cat-back on it. Thanks

Derek
Old 06-08-2005, 10:14 AM

I also have Flowtech headers and I actually used teke184's header installation guide on his cardomain site and it was VERY helpful. I actually found it harder removing the sparkplugs than anything else. And it was 8 hours from start to finish.

Quick Reply: Header Installation