LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

GMMG Or Loudmouth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 01:30 AM

Question GMMG Or Loudmouth?

What do you guys think? GMMG or SLP Loudmouth....Lets take into consideration the price of both, the flow, and mainly the sound.....What do you guys think is the best?
Old 01-25-2003, 07:33 AM

1) gmmg is twice the loudmouth cost, plain and simple, but it also consists of much more than the LM. you could go to a muffler shop and have a loudmouth fabbed up for probably $200. the GMMG has a dual exhaust type setup and the chambers and everything. plus when you see it from the rear end it looks awesome with the chambers.
2) flow will be the same, or damn near close to it.
3) sound, ive heard both on LS1's, hears my OPINION:
-the LM drones, it rasps, and has this horrible sound to it, sounds SO unrefined its gross.
-the GMMG has NO drone, NO rasp, and has a deep, throaty, refined sound, its perfect IMO.

a majority of my fbody buddies either have the GMMG, want the GMMG, or want to get rid of their catbacks and get GMMG. no sound for a 3 inch catback even comes close. ask any GMMG owner and theyll tell ya that its well worth every penny, and when people ask you what the hell kind of exhaust you are running (since NO exhaust sounds remotely like it) its pretty sweet to say GMMG and have them go "WTF is that?" listen to both then decide, thats the best advice ANYONE hear can give you.
best of luck,
brian
OH, DO A SEARCH, this has been done before on every fbody board, and you only get 3 things from a post like this 1) LM owners praising the LM 2) GMMG owners praising the GMMG 3) some other people praising some other exhaust you didnt ask about (incredibly annoying). and all these 3 things get you is arguments........

Last edited by sleeperZ96BT; 01-25-2003 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:23 AM

Here's a post I started concerning GMMG

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=72286
Old 01-25-2003, 11:34 AM

I have the Loudmouth on an LT-1. I like the sound, Idle sound is very deep, full throttle sounds like a pro-stock. It does drone around 1800 rpm (no real biggie to me), it also cackles and pops on deceleration. It is very unrefined, but makes a stock car like mine sound much nastier than it is (you WILL get attention). This system is so cheap I had to try one, I have not regretted my choice, its been fun. Now that I plan to add headers, I have some modifications planned to tone down the LM. Oh, and the qaulity and fit are quite good too IMO. I don't have any experience with the GMMG, almost bought one on GP, just couldn't bring myself to spend that kinda money on a catback. hope that helps.

Scott
Old 01-25-2003, 12:33 PM

Just ask yourself this one question, are you willing to pay over 700 for a catback exhaust? When you can get LM for 300 shipped. The LM flows a little better than the GMMG, also the GMMG has smaller piping. GMMG will just slam you with extra costs for this and that, the oval tips alone are some rediculous price. I feel that the LM sounds completely nasty, which is a good thing. The dirtier the louder the better IMO. For me it was a no brainer just from the price standpoint. Some might argue you get what you pay for, not in this case. Both are stainless, both have almost the same flow charactoristics, they sound very similar, just the GMMG has a more muffled sound IMO.

Mark
Old 01-25-2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by 02CamaroZ28
Just ask yourself this one question, are you willing to pay over 700 for a catback exhaust? When you can get LM for 300 shipped. The LM flows a little better than the GMMG, also the GMMG has smaller piping. GMMG will just slam you with extra costs for this and that, the oval tips alone are some rediculous price.
well, 1st things 1st, the GMMG is $700 shipped and most places sell the loudmouth for $350+shipping (off tbyrnes site). it flows better does it? thats debateable. has larger piping? thats debateable, seeing as how its 3 inch splitting into dual 2.5 inch piping. slammed with extra costs? most companies offer a more expensive better looking tip setup than the one they sell, look at corsa. and those tips are AWESOME from GMMG, drop dead gorgeous, and worth every penny. and thats the only extra OPTIONAL cost. and talk about extras, if you get the LT1 loudmouth you have to PAY ~$50 for the mounting kit. if youre gonna come bashing a company and setup at least get your info straight man. i will agree with you in 1 area, it does sound nasty, as in hurts my ears to hear it theres so much rasp
brian
Old 01-25-2003, 01:06 PM

What happened to the Dynomouth?
You get a sound that is the best of both the systems you are looking at.
You get the same flow.
You get a price that puts both to shame!
Just a thought.
Dave
Old 01-25-2003, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by sleeperZ96BT
well, 1st things 1st, the GMMG is $700 shipped and most places sell the loudmouth for $350+shipping (off tbyrnes site). it flows better does it? thats debateable. has larger piping? thats debateable, seeing as how its 3 inch splitting into dual 2.5 inch piping. slammed with extra costs? most companies offer a more expensive better looking tip setup than the one they sell, look at corsa. and those tips are AWESOME from GMMG, drop dead gorgeous, and worth every penny. and thats the only extra OPTIONAL cost. and talk about extras, if you get the LT1 loudmouth you have to PAY ~$50 for the mounting kit. if youre gonna come bashing a company and setup at least get your info straight man. i will agree with you in 1 area, it does sound nasty, as in hurts my ears to hear it theres so much rasp
brian
I dont want to start any big flame fest here. Ill just give you some facts that I do know. My LM was 289 shipped from Rapid Motorsports I think it is called. When you say that larger piping is debatable when you yourself said it was 3 in into 2.5 inch. Thats a face, and its not debatable. Where as the LM is 3 in through a 4 inch "muffler". Its just common sense there. Also I didn't have to pay for any bracket, also since he is posting in the LS1 forum so he will not have to either. LM comes with dual or 3.5 inch tips....included. Where the GMMG oval tips are 150 bucks, so noone in their right mind would pay for those. Also in all my driving, mostly highway drone has been no problem, its only drone is from 1600-1800 rpm which is a 200 rpm area, not bad at all. So please dont come to me and tell me to get my info straight.

Mark

Mark
Old 01-25-2003, 02:17 PM

I would have to say Loud Mouth you can't go wrong with it for the price, performace, and sound
Old 01-25-2003, 02:47 PM

I am with Sleeper on this one guys. I have first hand experience with GMMG since I own a system. It is definitley the best sounding i have heard, especially on an LS1. The price is steep, but yup absolutely "worth every penny". It is well made and looks great, the oval tips are a must.

Loudmouth on the other hand sounds like crap IMHO. It's raspy, has total drone within the vehicle and is not a distinguished sound as is GMMG.

Dynomouth on the other hand talk to ratio411 he has a great video clip with his dynomouth sounding pretty good, but would have to hear it in person, ya know. That's a cheaper alternative route and seems to work for those who have it.

Off the subject:
By the way fellas. i am hearing a lot about money issues for exhausts and such, well guess what you bought and LS1 which is not cheap to mod any way you look at it. If you wanted cheap you should have picked up a civic!
Old 01-25-2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by 02CamaroZ28
I dont want to start any big flame fest here. Ill just give you some facts that I do know. My LM was 289 shipped from Rapid Motorsports I think it is called. When you say that larger piping is debatable when you yourself said it was 3 in into 2.5 inch. Thats a face, and its not debatable. Where as the LM is 3 in through a 4 inch "muffler". Its just common sense there. Also I didn't have to pay for any bracket, also since he is posting in the LS1 forum so he will not have to either. LM comes with dual or 3.5 inch tips....included. Where the GMMG oval tips are 150 bucks, so noone in their right mind would pay for those. Also in all my driving, mostly highway drone has been no problem, its only drone is from 1600-1800 rpm which is a 200 rpm area, not bad at all. So please dont come to me and tell me to get my info straight.

Mark
i dont plan on flaming either, but if you check the vendors here, as well as SLP youll see they are $350, i dont know how you pulled off $290 but more power to ya. and id say 40% of the GP people pay the $150 for the tips FWIW. and theres a difference between 3 into 2.5 and 3 into dual 2.5 inch IMO. either way they flow the same so i guess piping isnt an issue, ive seen them dyno on bone stock cars other than the catbacks and the numbers are so close its negligable, though round here the GMMG tends to dyno a lil better for whatever reason.
brian
Old 01-25-2003, 04:47 PM

i just dropped by rapids site at it was $350........
Old 01-25-2003, 07:08 PM

I had both systems on my old LS1 and now the GMMG(re-installed) on my new LS1. That should tell you something right there! Personally, the LM is is easily the worst sounding exhaust I've heard yet on an LS1. But seriously, I'm not going to hype up the GMMG or tell you what to get because you have to listen to both in PERSON before you can decide what you want.

Good luck,

Mike

2002 M6 Z28
Old 01-25-2003, 08:56 PM

The price difference is pretty obvious. That being said, I still prefer the sound of the GMMG over the Loudmouth. It all depends on what best fits your tastes and pocket book. If it were between those two, I would choose GMMG. Good luck!

-Mike
Old 01-25-2003, 10:54 PM

I have never had the true LM, but I have had the GMMG and now have a dynomouth (actual modified LM). The dynomouth in my opinion is a better sounding exhaust. I noticed alot more resonance with the GMMG. It has a distinct sound, but I have had alot more compliments about the dynomouth then I even had about the GMMG. Now the Intemidator tips that come with the GMMG are sweet and look just as awsome on a dynomouth

Quick Reply: GMMG Or Loudmouth?