LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Fun Fun Fun.. Header install ongoing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 07:05 PM

Fun Fun Fun.. Header install ongoing

Well, I couldn't wait any longer and started installing my new headers tonight. Let me just restate what others have said, the passenger side is a real pain. However, as fast as I turned my ratchet, I couldn't outrun the setting sun and soon my project was in the dark. Right now I have the y pipe, and driver's side manifold out of the car. The passenger coil rack was the last thing I took out and all the passenger side manifold bolts were broken loose, but not taken out. So the plan is to get back to it tomorrow and hopefully have everything buttoned back up in time to go to work. The funny thing is I live in an apt. complex and about an hour into my project, two city police officers pulled up and parked about 10 feet away from me. It turns out they were scoping out some of my neighbors for drug solicitation. They ended up sitting there for quite some time and I didn't really feel like pulling my driver's side header at that point, though it's as legal as possible, so I started on the Pass. side. Also got some NGK TR55's from More Performance to change while I'm at it. I'll make an update tomorrow with hopefully a completed project.

Headers are Grotyohann 1 3/4 with a Hi Flow catted Y pipe.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:48 PM

Re: Fun Fun Fun.. Header install ongoing

At least you made some progress before the sun went down! Good luck with the rest of it.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:34 AM

Bah, Curse you Weather Channel!!!! I was supposed to wake up to 50 degrees and partly cloudy, but I got 45 and raining instead. Supposed to be clearing, but this is going to make my time deadline a little more interesting.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:24 PM

Sell the stockers as a cool crack pipe to your "friends" next to you.LOL
Old 12-12-2004, 03:26 PM

all the headers I have ever installed at worst it required/helped taking a bolt out of motor mount and lifting the engine just on one side while sliding the header in, plus it helps keep from scratching if they are coated.

On my '99 with pacesetter all was required was to unscrew one bolt on the alternator to comfortably get to the motor mount bolt(drivers side) and take out that motor mount bolt and lift the engine a little. It gives you a bit more room to work with while tightening everything up, plus t slides right in. Pass. side I just slid in without taking out the bolt. easy as pie.

Taking it all off is what sucked(the stock stuff)....my drivers side manifold had one bolt stuck on the Y pipe so I had to do some manuevering to get it out All I had was a sears floor jack and two jackstands.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:45 AM

yeah i was stuck for a little while trying to get the passenger side header in but I finnaly got it in by having my friend pry the tranny over as far as possible while i manuevered it in. wasn't to bad. i figures out that i had to take the oil filter off for the drivers side tho...