LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Exhaust System Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 12:29 PM

Question Exhaust System Advice

I have a 35th anniversary camaro and want to upgrade the exhaust system. I opted not to buy the SLP perfromance upgrade available at purchase. As such, I have the stock exhaust system...ughh. Anyways, I would like to upgrade to a nice exhaust system that will make my car sound like it has some *****. However, I do drive my car on the highway frequently and don't want to hear a bothersome drone while cruising in higher gears. Does anyone have some suggestions on what systems would suit me?
Old 07-18-2003, 12:46 PM

3.5in Mufflex with the single out ...I want it but I don't see the reason to replace my SLP dual-dual
Old 07-18-2003, 01:25 PM

Magnaflow, Hooker, GMMG, or Borla
Old 07-18-2003, 01:33 PM

I like Mufflex's 3.5 with Spintech Muffler and Dual Round to Oval tips.

GMMG is a great system as well.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:53 PM

I had the same wants and concerns that you have about a new cat-back system. Installed a Magnaflow and have never been happier. At idle and cruising speeds, there is a low rumble as opposed to the purr of the OEM exhaust. WOT it will let you know that you have a LS1 under the hood. I have noticed no drone while highway cruising.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:01 PM

Another vote for Borla...it may be a little more $$$, but it's definately worth it. Lemme know if you want me to send you my .wmv clip. Don't have enough space to post it, but I'll email it to ya.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Mister Will
I had the same wants and concerns that you have about a new cat-back system. Installed a Magnaflow and have never been happier. At idle and cruising speeds, there is a low rumble as opposed to the purr of the OEM exhaust. WOT it will let you know that you have a LS1 under the hood. I have noticed no drone while highway cruising.
I agree completely. I have received many complements on the sound of my Magnaflow. At idle or low RPMs there is a nice rumble. When you get on it, it comes alive. No highway drone.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:07 PM

Cool

If you want your car just to sound like it has *****, there is no need to pay $700+ for a new exhaust system. Just get a new muffler (Borla, Corsa, FLowmaster), and a couple of fat tips. You'll pay around $200 for that simple set up. For a couple hundred extra, a good exhaust shop will run some 3.5" stainless steel tubes. THats what I did.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:48 PM

I'm very happy with my Corsa, at idle it's nothing special but at WOT it sounds good (I think it sounds the best just cruising around 2500-3000 rpms) and when I'm on the highway in 6th, I can barely tell it's there (even with LTs and an ORY). I'm not sure if you want to spend 600-700 bucks though.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:13 PM

Borla. I have the stock exhaust with just a FlowMaster muffler and I get that "highway braaaaaah" noise level I think you're refering to. Sounds good around town and at idle, but "eh" on the hwy...
Borla has just the right "throaty" mellower sound for those of us who don't want to direct undue (cops, etc) to ourselves.

JMO,
Daryl
Old 07-19-2003, 05:12 AM

I know many people will tell you otherwise, but I like my loudmouth. At cruising speeds it is quiet, it only rumbles when I accelerate. I have not ridden in a car with the other systems, so I have nothing to compare it to though. The loudmouth does get a lot of attention at WOT though!

Ed
Old 07-20-2003, 04:28 PM

Awesome deal on Magnaflow catback I just found...http://store.yahoo.com/exhaustpros/camarofirebird.html
Ive heard it on one LS1 and it sounds great! Im sellin my Flowmaster if ya want that lol
Old 07-20-2003, 07:53 PM

electric cutout
Old 07-20-2003, 09:06 PM

Vote for Magnaflow. Smooth exhaust that rumbles at idle & screams at WOT.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:47 PM

One word.

Dynomouth!

You buy a 12" dynomax bullet muffler for $36.00 and if you like a new pair of tips. Then you bring the muffler (and tips if desired) to a muffler shop in your area. Shop around if needed but you can get it installed for $100.00. They will basically remove the stock muffler and fab in a pipe where it used to be. Then they weld in the bullet muffler in the I-pipe just behind the rear axel. It looks like the loudmouth setup and flows just as well (2200 cmf).

It sounds deep and mean like a muscle car should without the drone. You hear it at 2000 rpm's but it's not ear blasting and it causes no vibrations. It is the best mod I did. I get compliments all the time on the sound and I am getting excellent HP gains over stock. It's awesome, no other way to describe the sound. It's loud and mean but refined. No cop will give you a ticket for being too loud (if you avoid WOT around them that is) but all the people on the sidewalks will turn and look when you get on it.

I give Dynomouth set-up:

Quick Reply: Exhaust System Advice