LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 07:49 PM

Question Exhaust

I just bought a 1999 Z28 with the LS1 and the T56 6 speed tranny. I want to do a custom exhaust, but I dont want to use a pre-made exhaust. I want to go full custom, from the cats back with 2 straight pipes leading to a set of flowmaster mufflers on each. I dont really want to stick with the single in dual out muffler. My problem is Im not sure how much back pressure the car needs. I am used to my 68 SS but thats before the whole computer age. If anyone can help me out It'd be much appreciated. Thanks

Vinny
Old 07-14-2003, 08:10 PM

Sounds like you're talking about running duals. It's done quite frequently, and the only downside I see is losing a bit of ground clearance (or if you're too old you'll think it's too loud ). Most people have the mufflers right before the axle with turndowns coming out of them. It is possible to go up and over the axle with duals, but good luck finding a place to do it.

Backpressure? You don't want nor need backpressure. It's simply a myth.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:36 PM

Cool sounds good. I gotta guy who does custom pipes like nothing so im gonna give him a call and see what he can do. Im lookin for loud and clean. The only other question I have is if the Flowmaster 40 series mufflers would be good for the car. There is a guy who is sellin em for like $40 a piece brand new in the box. Thats what i think im gonna go for. Thanks for the advice
Old 07-14-2003, 09:26 PM

Im going to do the exhaust on my SS soon. I thought a long time about what to do. Maybe this will give you some ideas. Im going to put Hooker LTs going back to a custom y pipe with high flow cats(i have emissions and i hope to pass sniffer test and hope they wont notice the lts) there will be a Qtec Electronic Exhaust cutout for when i want to be loud and have good flow. After that I will go back to my Magnaflow Catback(they are suposed to have one of the best sounds, and they also provide good flow. And im going to top it off with some classy Hooker slash cut euro exhaust tips.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:45 PM

i wouldn't go with any muffler flowmasters makes. i have seen flow charts and they are near similar to the stock z28 muffler. then most of the other ones were a big jump up (borla, corsa, LM, magnaflow, dynomax bullet, etc) i would say do it with some dynomax bullets. i have heard it and i think it sounds pretty good, and it will flow a hell of a lot better than a flowmaster.
most true duals i have seen use the bullet style with a turn down after it, and an x before them.
I'd go for an x-pipe setup with some dynomax mufflers.
my $.02
Old 07-14-2003, 11:59 PM

What Mr Muff said is partially true. The 40 series flowmasters are actually pretty much straight through mufflers. Besides one bend in them, you can see right through them. I think if you can get those flowmasters for that cheap (they are usually like 80 a peice), why not try it out? I think it will sound pretty good. Again, make sure you get some type of x-pipe in there. Will help. If by some chance you don't like the sound/performance of the flowmasters, you can always swap them out for two bullet mufflers for quite cheap. I've yet to hear a LS1 with duals and flowmasters on it, I'd be quite curious to hear the results.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:06 AM

woudl still have that flowmoaster sound. personally i don't like it cause every single mustang has them and i can only imagine it would still sound fairly similar. just cause it will have that flowmaster sound that i associate with mustang

i still say spend the extra few bucks and get the bullets as those sound very good. once again IMO

gl with what ever one you choose.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:02 AM

Well I agree if you are going to be doing a true dual setup, then Bullets are the way to go.. Plus how can you complain and say $ 36 for each 12" Bullet or $ 37 for each 18" bullet..

Or you can always do the Dynomouth Mod, which sounds good and you can keep the Dual Exhaust look as well, I would suggest the DM if you have to pass the Sniffer Test for Smog because most Smog guys would not want to climb under your car just too put the sniffer in the pipes!!

Charlie
Old 07-15-2003, 11:11 AM

For what that'll cost u, you might as well get one of the high end catback systems
Old 07-15-2003, 09:16 PM

I dont want a high end cat back single inlet exhaust to dual out appearing to be a dual exhaust. I want a true dual so my M6 Z28 will finally sound the way its meant to.