LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Dyno'd the CETA on Saturday, ABS INOP light remains on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 09:42 AM

Dyno'd the CETA on Saturday, ABS INOP light remains on...

Hey guys,

On saturday I dyno'd the Trans Am. Had dyno'd it back in 2002 in the Springtime when it had only about 2000 miles on it. Dyno'd again now that it has 12,000 to see what has changed.

ABS INOP light is on. I thought after a few drives it would reset.

The owners manual says that turning the ignition on and off a few times should reset it but it remains on.

I can't imagine it actually failed, I think it is just confused.

I'm told that pulling the negative loose from the battery for a while will not help this since the ABS system does a full test / reset on each engine start.

Any ideas ?
Old 03-03-2003, 10:02 AM

When I had my Z28 on the dyno, the tech unplugged the ABS sensors on the rear wheels. He did this to keep from "confusing" the computer when the front wheels are not moving, but the back ones are spinning at a high speed.

He forgot to hook them back up, so when I drove off, the ABS light came on and didn't turn off after a few miles like I expected it to. I took it back to the tech and he reached up there and just plugged them back in and my problem was solved.

On later dyno sessions with a different tech, the sensors were not unplugged. When I left, the ABS light was on, but after a couple of miles, it turned off like it was supposed to.

So, in short, check the sensors and make sure they are plugged in.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:05 PM

warranty? dealer visit? I wouldnt mess with it when its ABS.. I would rather have the dealer waste their time and money on it..
Old 03-03-2003, 02:28 PM

why drop the car off at the dealer and waste all that time for an unplugged connector
Old 03-03-2003, 07:46 PM

ABS INOP light fixed...

fixed

As stated before, took the car and dyno'd it. After leaving, the ABS INOP light was on and stayed on the rest of Saturday, Sunday, and today.

People told me to check the third brake light for a burned bulb and also the ignition wires being close to the ABS under the hood. RF interferance.

Someone also told me that the shop could have disconnected the rear sensor wire for the ABS during the dyno and forgot to connect it back up.

Well... got the car up in the garage and slid underneath. I checked and both ends of the ABS cable was securely attached (plug going through floorpan and plug on differential). I disconnected the wire at both ends and reconnected it. It definitely was not loose. After removing and reconnecting it, the ABS INOP light is now out. Just comes on for the few seconds during start and then goes out.

My theory is that there must be some voltage on that cable even when the ignition is off (key removed). By disconnecting the cable and reconnecting it, the sensor got reset. Just my theory but all I can think of at this time.

Glad it didn't have to go to the dealer.