LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Did You Know!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 12:01 PM

Did You Know!?!?!?

.....that a loose radiator cap will send you to SES purgatory??? FACT! For about the last week I've been playing cat and mouse with that "yellow dash light from hell" knowing at first it was the result of over-enthusiastic engine bay cleaning. After removing/installing the manifold to dry out the knock sensors I started to experience an intermittant SES light show. TODAY, after some quick run errands, enough coolant spilled over the battery and passenger wheel fender to lead me to a problem with the cap. Sure enough....it was loose!!!!! I tightened that sucker down, started it up and drove, and the light disappeared for good. Apparently the coolant sensor has a pressure monitoring ability because I can't find ANY codes relating to the engine coolant other than the engine coolant sensor voltage codes. I draw this guess from the fact that my engine temps. have remained exactly where I always see them....and that would only leave internal cooling system pressure as the altered variable. If anyone can add any truth to this deal please specify what I stumbled over hear.....how does this work....am I right??????
Old 05-07-2003, 11:41 AM

I have heard of this, I imagine there is a sensor somewhere that must meassure the pressure of the radiator and trigger the SES if its off by too much. The same thing can happen if your gas tank and lines dont keep pressure. I think this is triggered by something in the evap system noticing the missing pressure. OBD II cars are lot more picky about these little things than OBD I cars.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:29 PM

[hick voice]Sure is scary when your car be smarter than you be. hyuck hyuck [/hick voice]
Old 05-07-2003, 12:40 PM

Dang ol' shoot man i' tel ya what

lol good one man
Old 05-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 2002Z28SSConv
[hick voice]Sure is scary when your car be smarter than you be. hyuck hyuck [/hick voice]
lmao

well thats an ineresting thing to know......owneb by your own car
Old 05-07-2003, 09:40 PM

My mom went to get a ses checked on her Venture van once and they put a computer on, walked to the side of the van, opened the gas door, tightened the cap and said your ready to go. How wacked is that?
Old 05-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dimoncutr
My mom went to get a ses checked on her Venture van once and they put a computer on, walked to the side of the van, opened the gas door, tightened the cap and said your ready to go. How wacked is that?
my mom did the same thing and it cost 90 dollars wtf????
Old 05-08-2003, 12:15 AM

My 97 Z34 Monte Carlo used to throw evap system codes all the time. But it was because of a little 6 inch vacuum hose under the fuel rail cover. Because of the heat, i guess, the hose got dry and cracked. Since it was part of the evap system, it couldn't create a vacuum in the system and assumed the cap was open. Here's the kicker... I tried all the dealerships in Orlando and was NEVER able to find a replacement hose. It was molded to be bigger on one end than the other. I eventually bought two different size hoses and an adapter to connect them. GM really thought that one out. The car was less than 3 years old, still in production and you couldn't find parts for it.