LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 12:46 PM

cutouts

what exaclty does a cutout do? i know it bypasses the cat (i think) but how? and is it controlled by a button? are the electric? are they all? also, has anyone done a cutout with stock exhaust? power gain? sound? coming from the import community, i have 0 knowledge of these.

kurtis
Old 10-07-2003, 12:57 PM

cutout explanation
Old 10-07-2003, 01:10 PM

so a cutout is a all the time thing? what about an electric cutout? ive heard that term before. also, the pics were kinda bad, but what if you get say a slp y pipe, does that render the cutout useless? and i dont see what the purpose of the cutout does, it looks like a) it makes a small section of the piping wider or b) another pipe for the exhaust to go out, non mufflered? that last pic was bad, so i dont know what that other cutout did. i just want to try to understand the exhaust options LS1s have for when the time comes.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:33 PM

No at cutout is not a all the time thing. You can flip the switch with an electric one and close it or with a manual bend down and cap it. A cutout is as good as any catback hp wise. For 35 you get the power of a catback and a better sound. It doesn't look bad you want to get it weldin in the I pipe after the cats and rear axel.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:36 PM

No, cutout is not an all the time thing. Unless you want to keep it uncapped all the time. Which in turn makes the car obnoxiously loud to drive every day.

Electric cutout means that you place an electrically operated valve instead of the cap operated by three wingnuts. Then you install a switch inside the car and with just a push a button you'll go from quiet to loud w/more available hp.

McCord and QTEC are the most common ones. Check them out.

Swapping your Y-pipe will not make a cutout useless. The exhaust will still have to exit somewhere and instead of going all the way back through the muffler, you bypass all that and have the gases exit before the rear axle, hence increasing your hp and performance.

In the "Bang For The Buck" comparison the cutout is very near, if not at, the top.

Hopefully that clears things a bit.

TS
Old 10-07-2003, 01:49 PM

so getting a cutout makes getting an exhaust system pointless? or how does it sound with a nice exhaust and a cutout? even louder? wehn i get my ss, i was planning on slp y pipe and loudmouth exhaust, hopefully with some longtube headers, but would a cutout help this? power wise or sound. i seee how the cutout will have one pipe going through exhaust and one pipe straightout, but it would make the exhaust flow better straight out, instead of through the exhaust. ok, im done.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:30 PM

Cool

If you want to have better than stock sound when driving with the cutout capped and the sound/power provided by the cutout when needed, then it is not necessarily a waste of money to get a gactback.

LM, however is pretty close as loud as they come, so there wouldn't be too much of a difference whether you use a cutout or not.

Somebody else feel free to pitch in if you have more experience on this LM/cutout issue.

Myself, I am not going to spend money on a catback (at least not right now) since I have a Flowmaster muffler (sounds better than stock) and cutout w/electric plate.

Best of the both worlds for me. I might spend the $$$ on a catback if and when I get headers/aftermarket Y-pipe in the future, but right now the current setup is enough for me.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:42 PM

me n you used the same setup flowmaster for when the cutout is capped and cutout for race more ponyies n more aggressive sound. A loudmouth is basically a cutout just from the y pipe back. I caution you if you plan on getting headers which many people will suggest don't waste money on a loudmouth. Many people on the board don't like the rasp from it. Here is what I say you do for exhaust
1. Buy a cutout get installed if sound is loud which it will be then get a exhaust hooker, gmmg,borla(expensive) are good systems
2. LT's with off road y pipe or Macs
This will net you the biggest gains hp from exhaust
Also while we r on best bang for the buck mods get a lid with a cutout you can usually pick one up off a board for less than 125. They are all the same don't worry about one out performing the other
Old 10-07-2003, 05:23 PM

ok, um do long tube headers make a LS1 a true dual exhaust car? which headers do? can i get info on that area. which make true dual, and which doesnt, how its done, etc.

Last edited by thejackel16; 10-08-2003 at 12:09 AM.