LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Compare LS-1 SS vs. LS-1 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 05:01 AM

Talking

i just beat a ls1 vette at the track the other day he ran pretty good for the mojority ive saw 13.8 auto with a 1.9 60' at 103
Old 09-05-2002, 07:34 AM

Arrow

Ha ha , "you almost always beat LS1s", what a joke. I'd rip you a new one if I met you at the stoplight. Any decent driver in a vette would too.

------------------
99 SS, Dark Metallic Blue, M6
SLP lid, KN, TBB, SLP Y-pipe, SLP loudmouth
ported MAFs, Nitto 315 DRs
Currently: 1/4 13.06@113.8 (gtech runs high in mph by about 4mph), 0-60 4.77 (w/passenger) Gtech'd
12.99@110.2, 2.06 60ft - Tazzo.
Also, 331 rwhp as measured on the Gtech
Old 09-05-2002, 08:02 AM

Uhhh whats up with all the flaming?

to answer Cost is a big differnce. Complexity of electronic systems in the vette is more costly to repair. Vette is lighter. Camaro is Cheaper. UMMM vettes are cooler but all things beng equal I bought& modded a z28.THe powerplants are esentially the same. If you can afford a vette get it- its a very cool platform. If you want to be FASTEST for the buck get a Z28, skip the SS "Fluff" if you want the most bang for the buck!

PS this is my 2¢, so SS guys relax, you still have cool cars!
Old 09-05-2002, 08:36 AM
Banned

my encounters with C5's have been good.
all i know is i can take a stock 1 if i DONT MISS A FREAKIN SHIFT...UGH!!

i have a '00.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:40 AM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bull_in_a_china_shop:
PS this is my 2¢, so SS guys relax, you still have cool cars!</font>

thanX but i knew that already
Old 09-05-2002, 11:27 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Btchslp:
Ha ha , "you almost always beat LS1s", what a joke. I'd rip you a new one if I met you at the stoplight. Any decent driver in a vette would too.

</font>
not to be rude or anything, but an LT1 handles heatsoak a bit better in my experience here in HOUSTON at the TRACK.
My LT1 could repeatedly put down the same numbers while the LS1 Vettes there were losing time on every run. But it gets hot and HUMID here so thats another factor.
I also ice down and that helped the LT1 alot as well added to the better low range power I would holeshot the vettes and make them play catchup at the end.. Cause in the end, MPH means nothing, ET is the name of the game in drag racing.
sure at the 1/4 mile mark they may be starting to walk me but thats after we cross and until then, I hold the lead and that was all that matters.

I have the LS1 now and its great.. I played with some punk yesterday and was reeling him in during traffic up until 80-90mph.. Then he would start to breathe better.. he had exhaust and some other mods (he had done stuff to his car that would make one assume he at least had a lid) on his LS1 but if that is any indication of how the pre '01s were in the lower range these 02's are dayum nice.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:09 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by psychocabbage:
not to be rude or anything, but an LT1 handles heatsoak a bit better in my experience here in HOUSTON at the TRACK.
My LT1 could repeatedly put down the same numbers while the LS1 Vettes there were losing time on every run.
</font>
Uh I don't know what you are talking about. Fromw what I have seen, the LS1 only gets faster, not slower. Many people's fastest times were run on their 2nd and beaten again on their 3rd runs. The LS1 likes it hot, and when people try to let it rest and cool down then run again, it is actually a little slower.

I am speaking the truth, people told me this over on LS1.com about their cars. If they run back to back without breaks their car is faster.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:53 PM
Banned

The ? is why would anyone in their right mind buy a c5 vette for 40-50k when u can buy a ls1 SS put 5k into the engine and be runnin' w/ z06's? my stock SS beats a vette everytime and when i got my exhaust and k&n and dif. gears i lost by a car length 2 a z06 hmmm... something to think about vette enthusiasts!

------------------

Old 09-05-2002, 03:02 PM

Cause you are only considering raw straight line performance, which I agree is a very important part of overall performance and worth of a car, but not the end all and be all factor.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PewterCamaroSS99:
The ? is why would anyone in their right mind buy a c5 vette for 40-50k when u can buy a ls1 SS put 5k into the engine and be runnin' w/ z06's? my stock SS beats a vette everytime and when i got my exhaust and k&n and dif. gears i lost by a car length 2 a z06 hmmm... something to think about vette enthusiasts!

</font>
Old 09-05-2002, 07:57 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Btchslp:

</font>
I'm hoping this isn't directed at me.

If it is, bring it! I will run you with either one of my F body's. Where at in North Carolina?

Old 09-05-2002, 09:50 PM

I use to hang out at the www.Corvetteforum.com a while ago. The members over there admit, though reluctantly, that a Z28/TA with a few mods can beat a stock C5. A typical post is that a C5 walks away from an F-bodies in the twisties, but can't loose them on the straights.

I was seriously considering purchasing a Z06 next spring. I have test driven several C5 corvettes and a 2001 Z06. The C5's ride and handling are superior to the Z28 (uh... yeah!). The Z06 is a monster, but I didn't notice a significant difference in acceleration between a C5 coupe and my Z28.

The corvette is set up for road racing while the F-bodies are set up for drag racing. A LS1 F-body with intake and exhaust mods will have a good race against a stock C5. It would probably come down to the driver.

------------------
1998 Z28 Mystic Teal Metallic hard top coupe, M6, Hurst Billet shifter, SFC, Hotchkis STB, K&N FIPK, & more to come
Dyno bone stock:
282 rwhp
291 rwtq

[This message has been edited by Mister Will (edited September 05, 2002).]

Old 09-06-2002, 07:39 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fastenuff:
Not the LS-6 in the Z06 mind you. Just a LS-1 vette. I can almost always beat a stock LS-1 F-bod and I almost ran a stock LS-1 vette tonight and im wondering what woulda happenend?

</font>
THere are a few must do mods it you wanna own the streets. If an auto a TC. Nitto tires. Hooker LT's. And down here in peoria we're doing a cam install this weekend! The ws6 will have about 390 @ the rears! and a lid, maybe a pulley. BUt thats all cheap when you look at price diffs in cars.

------------------
2000 Z28-Deep Maroon
Mac Headers With Off-Road Pipe
Vigilante Torque Converter 2800 stall 2.5 STR
Hooker 3" catback w/cut out & McCord
FTRA Kit
Dynamic Motorsports SFC's
Old 09-06-2002, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PewterCamaroSS99:
[B]The ? is why would anyone in their right mind buy a c5 vette for 40-50k when u can buy a ls1 SS put 5k into the engine and be runnin' w/ z06's? ***************** Why? Because I can. Seriously though, I love my Camaro SS, especially when rowing through the gears. The Corvette however is a different animal altogether. And 1 test drive won't do, you really need to drive it for a while to get a sense of the superior suspension, braking, ergonomics etc. I won't argue that at a drag strip the winner comes down to the driver but that was not why I bought my Vette. I bought it for a different flavor, not to race everyone for bragging rights. More expensive? Yes. Worth every penny too. Raul

------------------
2002 Camaro SS,2001 Corvette,1996 Impala SS

[This message has been edited by muscle cars (edited September 06, 2002).]
Old 09-06-2002, 06:06 PM
Banned

Angry

{Edited for content}

There will be ZERO racist posting on here, NONE!

This will end NOW.

Last edited by NoOne; 09-25-2002 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:23 PM

Question

W H O O O O A A ***

This may get interesting....

Quick Reply: Compare LS-1 SS vs. LS-1 Vette