LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

The chain of mods that lead to other mods...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 10:02 PM

The chain of mods that lead to other mods...

I was thinking, with getting a CAM don't you have to get headers to make it work better, or can you just do a cam change and get results. I am more asking about the chain of **** that goes on with mod after mod after mod. I really want to get the most horsepower for the least ammount of money and I have $2k to spend. And I was wondering if i did a cam swop if I could get better resluts without getting ported heads, new intake and all of that. I have been looking into N?A for a while, but I think I would be satisfied with at least 380 horsepower. Something that will keep me up to my buddies new Cobra (that bastard) If anyone can help me distinguish mods it would help. What can i do with a CAM, and will a CAM by itself improve my cars performance without getting a new rearend and without really any of the warranty people noticing....
Old 10-12-2002, 11:08 PM

Cool

Yes, you can install just a new cam, and not bother with anything else, and you will gain HP/performance/etc., and you don't have to port/polish/etc............

Obviously, "every little bit helps", so porting & polishing heads, intakes, MAFS and throttle bodies is certainly going to help, but if you don't want to spend the time doing that, or you don't want to spend money/time on buying and installing headers, for example, you can simply (simply ) install a new cam, or a new exhaust, or whatever it is you want - without having to do everything else related to it.

I'd like to think that even without getting into porting & polishing, or getting new heads, that with (the right) cam alone, you could boost the power in your car from ~300 RWHP to ~325 RWHP, which after the "~15% drivetrain loss" would work out to 380 HP at the crank. Really, I think that with the right cam, you'd be able to squeeze out more power than that.

Well, good luck on your "mission" to beat the Cobra!! IMO, if you got a better cam, and as long as you can drive (esp. if 6-speed), you should be able to compete with that Cobra.