LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Can the Camaro handle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 09:28 AM

Question Can the Camaro handle?

I was talking to a friend of mine about getting a Z28 or SS in October.. and he couldn't stop bashing the Camaro

he was saying mainly that it can't turn or handle worth anything... I was just wondering how valid this was

he's also all pressed over the new Nissan 350Z
Old 07-21-2002, 10:46 AM

your friend just dislikes camaros. dont let him influence your decision. the camaros handle well for a car of their size and weight, but if handling is a big big issue for you, just got get a Z06. honestly though, the camaro is going to handle plenty well for everyday driving and even when you want to tear up some asphault. now if you want to go auto-x with porsche TT's and vettes, then you may run into trouble.

------------------
1999 Camaro SS A4 Black/Black/Dark Gray w/ Torch Red Hood Scoop and Torch Red Rear Stripe... 3:23 || SLP Loudmouth || SLP AirBox Lid w/ K&N || SLP Bowtie Grille || SLP CAI || SLP SFC || SLP STB || AZP&S Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator w/ 3psi Boost || Sullivan Aluminum Racing Pedals || Yank ST3500 || B&M 24K Tranny Cooler || Jet-Hot Hooker LT Headers w/ ORY || Hypertech 160 T-Stat || SLP Fan Switch || 17 x 9.5 Aluminum Z06 Wheels || Nitto 555R's || Macewen White Faced Gauges w/ Red Dash Bulbs || Xenon Headlights.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:57 PM

What do you care about? Will you be doing auto-cross or drag racing (or both)? The Camaro Z28/SS is a force to be reckoned with in straight line acceleration. With a few simple suspension mods it can be turned into a competitive auto-cross car as well. The new Nissan Z handles superbly from what i've read in Car and Driver but look at it's straight line acceleration in comparison to an LS1 equipped Camaro. It all comes down to what you want. Also they may be priced similarly but the top of the line Nissan Z (Track model) is priced at 35,000 dollars, way more than a Z28 or an SS.

------------------
Black 2001 Z28 Auto
Mods: Borla full cat exhaust, SLP ram air, SLP 160 Thermostat, SLP smooth bellows, MTI lid
Best 1/4: 13.469 @ 105
Old 07-21-2002, 01:26 PM

Thumbs up

Man, my SS handles like it's on rails. I took a trip from UT to WA and had the cruise set at 80 MPH. I was taking curves with advisory speeds of 45 and 50 MPH with ease. Your friend is wrong. Get a Z28 or SS, you won't be sorry!!

------------------
'02 35th anniversary edition camaro SS, 6spd, hurst, t-tops...K&N filter
Old 07-21-2002, 03:38 PM

Smile

Z28's/SS' can be made to handle nearly as well a Vette. See my sig for a complete list of handling mods. My brother has a C5 and I can stay on his bumper at any speed.

------------------
01 Sunset Orange SS
T-Tops, Neutral Leather, ASR, Hurst 6spd, ASR, SS Grill.
348RWHP - 352Max Torque .
Mods package: Lou's Short Stick, BMR- STB, SFC, LCA, Front & Rear Sway Bars, Torque Arm and APHR. Corsa Exhaust, SLP MAS, Lid, Smoothe bellows and Y-Pipe. Holley Power Shot filter,Hotchkis Springs, KVR cross drilled rotors, Bilstein shocks,
Jet Stage II Programmer, Hypertech 180 degree Thermostat, MSD wires, NGK IX 55 plugs, Royal Purple Synthetic package. ProFormance-MotorSports Inc. proform1@bellsouth.net
Old 07-21-2002, 06:43 PM

i think my trans am handles pretty good i can turn left thru intersection at 35 mph without sliding sideways. i haven't seen this nissan but i would bet it doesn't look as good as a SS camaro.

[This message has been edited by WhoBetter? (edited July 21, 2002).]
Old 07-21-2002, 06:47 PM

for crying out loud, i just checked it out, that thing looks like a volkswagon , what a turd, don't think twice about getting a ss over that.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:32 PM

yeah.. i'm pretty set on getting either a Z28 or an SS... depending on money though

LOL... the 350Z looks a little strange that's for sure... and it's even heavier than a Vette.. so he can't knock the Camaro on weight

he's the type of guy that will only make mods having to do with handling and suspension... doesn't really care about speed in a straight line... but that's aight, i won't be flying around any turns on a daily basis
Old 07-21-2002, 09:36 PM

Thumbs down

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gamefan008:
yeah.. i'm pretty set on getting either a Z28 or an SS... depending on money though

LOL... the 350Z looks a little strange that's for sure... and it's even heavier than a Vette.. so he can't knock the Camaro on weight

he's the type of guy that will only make mods having to do with handling and suspension... doesn't really care about speed in a straight line... but that's aight, i won't be flying around any turns on a daily basis
</font>
Ditto's on it looking like a "turd" LOL

------------------
'02 35th anniversary edition camaro SS, 6spd, hurst, t-tops...K&N filter
Old 07-21-2002, 09:39 PM

Get this...i just read an article in m,uscle mustangs and fast fords and they did a thorough comparo of the 2002 SS and 2003 supercharged Cobra. the cobra spanked the SS in the drag strip (i think .5 sec and 4 MPH), but the road course was a TIE! Yes, a tie and this SS had the same base susspension as the base Z28, not even the up-graded bilstein option. This was after the Mustang with its' 4-wheel independant suspension with bilstein shocks. Even the mag was surprised and praised the SS for this. By the way, as a side note, they Dynoed the cars and the Stang put out 380RWHP to the SS's 320 (wheels) (STD, not SAE). I think that if the SS was the 345-HP package, (lid/cat back) it would have been closer (extra 15-20-HP). The SS is SERIOUS and with the SLP level 1 suspension and a good driver can come to within a pubic hair of the Vette in handeling, oh and the SS (or Z28)with a lid and cat-back is AT LEAST as fast (if not a tad faster) than the same year LS1 Vette in at the drag strip! Get the SS, or if you're interested in getting the same performance foe less $$$$$ get the Z28, put a lid and catback on it, you'll be at 370-385-HP. Get the SLP level 1 suspension ($650) and you'll handle better than almost any stock car available!
Tom
PS...didn't spell check...forgive me!

------------------
2001 red Z....M6, Borla cat-back (1.5 inch), AMS lid, Home ported MAF, SLP CAI and KNN.
Corrected HP(Rear Wheel) 327!
Corrected Tq (rear Wheel)338! WOW!
NOT underrated, my A$$!
Old 07-22-2002, 01:30 AM

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tomslawsky:
...The SS is SERIOUS and with the SLP level 1 suspension and a good driver can come to within a pubic hair of the Vette in handeling, oh and the SS (or Z28)with a lid and cat-back is AT LEAST as fast (if not a tad faster) than the same year LS1 Vette in at the drag strip! Get the SS...
</font>
I totally agree. I just took my SS to the mountains of North Carolina on vacation. Carving up mountain roads with a convertible SS didn't suck! I don't drag race my SS. (I probably will once this winter just to get a slip.) I autocross it monthly and my times aren't that far from the Vettes. I'm still learning driving technique as well as getting used to the new car. I do recomend Strut Tower Brace, Sub Frame Connectors and stiffer springs. At least get the SLP lowering springs for a mild drop. Other than that I think the car handles good. My 88 hanldes like it's on rails (until it pushes the front end out). My 02 has a lot more body roll and therefore feels loose. But it takes a lot to get the front to push out. It just feels like it's about to a long time before it actually does. That's why I suggest the mods I do. I work with a 99 Firehawk owner. His was the same way but he put BMR springs, STB, SFC on and it's night and day better.

Conclusion: Out of the box, they handle "good". With a little mod work they handle "super". But they are almost as good as the Vette. They are heavy cars. But I couldn't tote my wife and two kids in a Vette.

------------------
2002 SS Vert:
SOM - Hurst - black leather - 12 disk changer - SLP dual center exhaust & grill insert

88 Camaro - FOR SALE
License plate - STRKIN (STROKIN was taken of course)
383 stroker
T350 trans (just rebuilt - 4/1/02) - shifts very hard.
373 rear.
Eibach(type) springs
Stiff sway bars Front & Rear
Air shocks in rear
Edelbrock Torker II Manifold
Edelbrock Performer 600CFM carb (w/tune kit)
Mallory 4309 Fuel pressure regulator.
shorty headers into true duals into two big flowmasters under the bumper into your face

When I start my car in the morning, my neighbors DO think the world is coming to an end!
Old 07-22-2002, 08:10 AM

Well, from the two days I've had my car, it handles very well - although I havent tested it yet.

It doesnt turn quite as sharp as my Cavalier did, but it's a bigger car, lol... No comparison =)

I cant wait to do some 50mph+ turns, I know it'll be a HUGE difference.

Get the car while you can, 2002 is the LAST YEAR for the Camaro - get something worth keeping.

------------------

-2002 Red Camaro SS
Chesapeake, Virginia
http://www.HeadRushPerformance.Com