LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Budget H/C setup.... But good...Recomends??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:36 PM

Budget H/C setup.... But good...Recomends??

I did some searching, but it didn't really help me much...

I like the AFR heads, but they're so darned expensive... But i also hear that their airflow charictoristics (sp?) are really unique. I'd like a good set of heads, but don't want to pay $2200 for them. Something w/ valves and springs, too. LS6 ported? Dart heads? Another good brand, good #'s? 205cc is fine btw, dont' want too much.....yet.....

As far as cam, I was thinkin along the lines of 228/230~ish, .580 114... some thing around those lines... I'd like some lope, but I also would like an idle... 114 I think I'm set on. i would really like TQ, and I also plan on adding a S/C in the long run... maybe two years from now... Almsot exactly two years from now. An exh biased cam would be good w/ a S/C , correct? -from what I've gathered.

I'd like an affordable set up that can make some POWER....

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 09-19-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:26 AM

Re: Budget H/C setup.... But good...Recomends??

Check out Texas speed & performance. A lot of people are getting good numbers from the PRC budget head line. Here is a head/cam package that includes stage 2.5 5.3L heads, choice of cam, rods & springs for $2,000.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=203&catid=47

BUT

they also offer the AFR 205 in the same package deal for only $620 more

BTW this is the cam from them that I like:

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=168&catid=44
Old 09-20-2006, 09:18 AM

thats the package i went with. i would have liked to have gone with the afr's, but i was in a predicament and didnt have the extra cash on hand. im still happy with what i have
Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 AM

I would recommend the PRC 5.3L or LS6 Heads if you're on a budget. The smaller combustion chamber of the 5.3L heads makes it unappealing for forced in duction though, so keep that in mind.

If you plan on changing heads again and are still in the market, I'll be selling my H/C setup sometime in the next month or so in preparation for my turbo build
Old 09-20-2006, 12:42 PM

We were just talking about this stuff last weekend. AFR's are well worth the money if you want to go all out and run more than 10lbs of boost. The LS1/LS6 heads don't have as much deck height in the casting from what I gathered, which makes them prone to lifting off of the block with enough boost. What I would suggest is to go with the Patriot Stage II LS6 heads (since you're on a budget) and either get a good N/A cam for the next 2 years or get your blower cam now. N/A, the Torquer v.2 is pretty decent (232/234 .595/.598). If you're looking for a blower cam, you'll see a couple grinds from Speed Inc. that are capable of 700+rwhp with the right setups. You're correct in looking for more duration on the exhaust as well as a higher LSA. The larger cam they have listed is actually on a 117LSA. One other thing to keep in mind though is, the stock internals are only good to ~550hp. After that, you really need to consider a forged setup built to handle the power.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
We were just talking about this stuff last weekend. AFR's are well worth the money if you want to go all out and run more than 10lbs of boost. The LS1/LS6 heads don't have as much deck height in the casting from what I gathered, which makes them prone to lifting off of the block with enough boost. What I would suggest is to go with the Patriot Stage II LS6 heads (since you're on a budget) and either get a good N/A cam for the next 2 years or get your blower cam now. N/A, the Torquer v.2 is pretty decent (232/234 .595/.598). If you're looking for a blower cam, you'll see a couple grinds from Speed Inc. that are capable of 700+rwhp with the right setups. You're correct in looking for more duration on the exhaust as well as a higher LSA. The larger cam they have listed is actually on a 117LSA. One other thing to keep in mind though is, the stock internals are only good to ~550hp. After that, you really need to consider a forged setup built to handle the power.
Cool.. This helps a lot...(thread)....I just need a point in the right direction, as far as options.

I am looking to go S/C in the next two years, and the Speedinc. blower cams are close to the TSP v.2 cam... so I'll probably go with that. I really want the AFR heads.... If I can get the package for $620 more and a month of extra saving for a Baadas$ set of heads, I'll do it. I have made a packt w/ myself that I'm not going to cut corners on this car as far as performance. The 5.3's w/ the smaller chamber are not really appealing to me, as far as FI goes. Next deployment I sould be able to get the D1SC. So I won't really want to get another set of heads a year after i buy them...

Thanx for the advice Guys... I really appreciate it!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:41 PM

A really good alternative in price and performance would be ported and polished Dart LS1 Pro heads, These are the heads I'm going with (http://www.pm-fl.com/catalog/product...ebd5047692d5b7) for a cam I would go with this cam (http://www.pm-fl.com/catalog/product...bd5047692d5b7). Good luck, the heads only cost
$1899 vs AFR's at $2200.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:52 PM

i wonder if they replace the valve seals...since htere has been so much trouble with the Darts smoking.

something else to consider with the 5.3L and LS6 heads is the intake runner size. some of those heads i've seen with runners in the mid 230s...which would make for a nice dyno queen (peak hp) but would suck in the low and mid range.

that's why the dart/ARR 205s are so appealing....excellent power down low while still providing good gains at peak
Old 09-20-2006, 07:34 PM

Woah! I like those heads!... The features and hand built qualities...Stats seem just as good as AFR's.... Ok, SOld on the heads..... Dart's huh....... Valveseals, eh?? Couldn't I just as easily replace the VS's when I get the heads if they're not that good?

I think I'm about sold on this Speed inc. Blower grind bump stick... 224/232 .581/.595 lsa 114... I've read that the 819 springs are only good to about .600 lift.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:08 PM

918s can handle over .600" i've been told as much as .625"

but with the .595" you are planning...i would just pony up and upgrade to double springs...

those heads do look good...i wonder how accurate their "claimed flow" is??

i've been looking at the TrickFlow heads more and more. about as much as the AFRs unfortunately...but they flow damn well especially in the mid range, PLUS they have 215cc intake runners...which is a nice compromise between the 205s and the 225s.

hmmm...wonder if someone will mill them a bit to boost compression.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:44 AM

Well i slowly learned porting stock heads is not cheaper than buying ported ls6's. It comes out to maybe 100 dollars cheaper, but 20+ hours of work
Old 09-21-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by teke184
918s can handle over .600" i've been told as much as .625"

but with the .595" you are planning...i would just pony up and upgrade to double springs...

those heads do look good...i wonder how accurate their "claimed flow" is??

i've been looking at the TrickFlow heads more and more. about as much as the AFRs unfortunately...but they flow damn well especially in the mid range, PLUS they have 215cc intake runners...which is a nice compromise between the 205s and the 225s.

hmmm...wonder if someone will mill them a bit to boost compression.
I remember hearign abotu trick flows when I was lookin at a Mustang mag a number of years ago. Seemed a bit Jeg's'y..... Link?

I read an article a while ago, Beehives vs .....some other spring. The Beehives maintained good valve control up to and over 6000 RPM.. I think they started floating at about 7000 RPM.... I've got my archive of car mags, here.... I'll have to find it...
Old 09-22-2006, 06:38 AM

victory racing has them

here is the description (generic):
During the development stage, Trick Flow engineers determined that the valve angles needed to change from 15° to 13.5°. This change decreased valve shrouding, increased mid-lift airflow, and increased rocker arm-to-valve cover rail clearance. Testing also proved that relocating the spark plug position in the combustion chamber further enhanced mid-lift airflow and increased the rigidity of the casting to prevent cracking in the chamber area. Furthermore, additional material was added to the rocker arm mounting points for high-rpm valvetrain stability.

These fully CNC-ported LS1 performance cylinder heads feature 215cc intake runners, 80cc exhaust runners, 64cc combustion chambers, 2.04" intake valves, 1.575" exhaust valves, bronze valve guides, and ductile iron intake and exhaust valve seat inserts.

Assembled CNC-ported LS1 heads come equipped with 1.300" dual valve springs (for hydraulic roller camshafts up to .600" of valve lift), Viton canister-style valve seals, 7° machined steel valve locks, and 7° titanium retainers.

Lift Exhaust Intake
.100" 55 68
.200" 115 142
.300" 185 215
.400" 230 260
.500" 251 300
.600" 259 320

that's not to bad considering the patriots and the ET Perf heads flow similar on the intake, but are WAY behind on the exhaust.

the other nice thing is that the intake runner size is mild. not quite as small as the 205s but not the 225 of most of the ls6...and some of those are even in the 230s...the ET heads are 237cc. talk about killing low end power!!

i have yet to see anyone with the TF...and for the price...i doubt to many will try them. would be nice to see though
Old 09-22-2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by teke184
Lift Exhaust Intake
.100" 55 68
.200" 115 142
.300" 185 215
.400" 230 260
.500" 251 300
.600" 259 320

that's not to bad considering the patriots and the ET Perf heads flow similar on the intake, but are WAY behind on the exhaust.

the other nice thing is that the intake runner size is mild. not quite as small as the 205s but not the 225 of most of the ls6...and some of those are even in the 230s...the ET heads are 237cc. talk about killing low end power!!

i have yet to see anyone with the TF...and for the price...i doubt to many will try them. would be nice to see though
Yeah, that would be nice.... The CFM seems to kind of level off at about .500-.600...consitsant.

Don't get me wrong, the overall #'s are good. I like new ideas where companies do research to find better combinations of Valves and Spark angles..... I'll have to find them somewhere. Maybe GMHTP could try them out... Supprised they haven't done so already. THey tested the Edelbrock H/C and not-too convincing looking set of headers... The collectors were huge and the ground glearance looked terrible!

....I couldn't find that article on THe Comp Cams Beehive spring test. I think I'll go w/ them. They showed a nice weight savings and the final float rpm's were WAY up there.... Some insayne RPM like 8,000, or something!...I'll have to find the lift #'s too... all I found is older GM stuff and Ford #'s..

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 09-22-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:41 PM

"Lots of guys have them done, and end up going with something else"

makes you wonder why they get rid of them??

maybe cause they aren't the best choice

Quick Reply: Budget H/C setup.... But good...Recomends??