LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Borla Exhaust System.............

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 10:43 PM

Borla Exhaust System.............

Hey guys, I've recently heard the sound of a Borla System on a C5 and I liked it. I was wondering , to all of you guys and gals that has one of the Borla systems, How does it sound on a 98+ F-body?, How much did it set you back? How well does it flow?, and are you happy with the exhaust. Oh BTW, I know that most people on here like the GMMG's best. But this is for me, so how do the Borlas rank against the GMMG's as far as sound and performance, and price. Thanks
Old 10-21-2002, 11:07 PM

Here's what it sounds like: click for the sound

Expect to pay somewhere around $600-$650 for the catback exhaust system.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:45 AM

I just got mine two weeks ago for my 98 SS. It sounds badazz wide open, not sure about the other plates....can't bring myself to change it. As for price I paid $635 shipped from Jegs.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:06 AM

i love my borla!! i have had it for two years now. i just run the 2 3/4 plate . thats loud for me. best part that it was no proplem to put on. it took 1 1/2 hours to do. good luck with yours .
Old 10-22-2002, 08:34 AM

Its a high dollar cutout... I couldnt justify spending that kind of $$ for common looks and the same gain as a cutout... With similar sound!

JMO...
Old 10-22-2002, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by psychocabbage
Its a high dollar cutout...
\/\/3rI) to that! You pay $650 to hear your factory manifolds and catalysts. Pfft. Just buy a cutout IMO if you love that "wide open borla sound."
Old 10-22-2002, 02:57 PM

A cutout is a lot cheaper...I am using one right now but just be aware that it resonates A LOT inside the car when the cutout is open. Also you are dumping exhaust under the car so it gets the undercarriage all black.

So when you get the borla you are upgrading to a 3" intermediate and the borla muffler does flow pretty well. Better than stock. So you are not getting a cutout, you are getting a good 3" catback with a cutout built in (that exits out the back = less resonance).

Needless to say I am a fan of the borla system. I had it on my old Z and will get one for my new one after I do some other stuff.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:58 PM

I know the Borla exhaust is a love it or hate it type of thing but I do have to defend it some.

Even if you run it wide-open it still doesn't sound anything like a cutout to me(maybe slightly at WOT). But at idle or just cruising around(with some occasional aggressive driving) it has a unique sound to it as compared to the Flowmaster or truckish sounding LM's & cutouts IMHO. It is stainless steel, flows well, has interchangeable plates, and I personally love the exotic looking tips. You definitely get what you pay for with this exhaust. If I didn't have a GMMG I'd definitely have this exhaust on my Z.

Mike

2002 M6 Z28
Old 10-22-2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by KLATOO
A cutout is a lot cheaper...I am using one right now but just be aware that it resonates A LOT inside the car when the cutout is open. Also you are dumping exhaust under the car so it gets the undercarriage all black.

So when you get the borla you are upgrading to a 3" intermediate and the borla muffler does flow pretty well. Better than stock. So you are not getting a cutout, you are getting a good 3" catback with a cutout built in (that exits out the back = less resonance).

Needless to say I am a fan of the borla system. I had it on my old Z and will get one for my new one after I do some other stuff.

Newer Z's have 3" Stainless I pipe from what I have read.. I may be wrong.. I will veryfiy that physically soon..
STOCK..

How do you figure you are using the muffler when you have a dump before the muffler? Especially considering that most people will use the wide open plate..

Cutouts are best set up two different ways..
#1. Just after the headers/exhaust manifolds on the Y... Only run open at the track (fumes)
#2. Most common is at the rear just before over the axel on the I pipe.

If it were me, I would go with #1 with an electric switch.. That way I am stealthy and can scream when I feel like it.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:55 PM

My 02 has a 2.75" I-pipe.

As far as using the muffler or not I know lots of people who use the muffler.

And you are right, you can mount the cutout at the rear and I assume it would resonate less. Its harder to install but lots of people do it.

For my habits I like to drive around town with the system wide open and close it up for long freeway drives. I am going to do a Borla with an electric cutout. Is this a waste of money? Probably. It won't really do anything my current setup won't do but I like the tips anyway. And I like to drive around with the system wide open most of the time. The resonance with the cutout drives me crazy and I don't like the black deposits on my undercarriage.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:08 AM

hhhmmm, nawe, i better just keep my mouth shut.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:19 AM

i had im borla for about 2years now and love every dime i spent on it i heard lots of other systems but like the borla the best i think because i could adjust it at will

but its you own personly opion

and yes it is loud but i love it loud if you want louder get headers that will really get you attention

mine are flp i have on the strate pipes and no plate in the borla

just buy it you will love it

scott
99z
Old 10-23-2002, 07:17 AM

Anyone have any dyno #s for the Borla?I have heard it on a car with no cats, and long tubes, and it sounded tough.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:33 AM

I absolutely love my Borla system! I use the 2 3/4 plate and think it has just the right sound. You can expect to pay about $650 for the system; most exhaust places in the area I live can't seem to find vendors, so you will probably have to order them yourself. They are worth it!
Old 10-27-2002, 11:56 AM

I have a 2000 SS and the Borla Exhaust. I also replaced the y-pipe with a Borla y-pipe. I didn't want a cutout under the car because of noise in the interior and the exhaust. With the Borla, it exits out the back. In addition, I added an electric plate so I can adjust the opening from inside the car. Quiet when I want and with a flcik of the switch, wide open.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust System.............