LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

blinking SES?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 07:19 AM

blinking SES?

what is the difference between the SES being on constant (egr and air removed but not reprogramed) and a blinking SES?

i have an intermitent misfire, which sets a code, but VERY RARELY does it blink...

did it today twice going to work..

i guess i don't know what the blinking means...
Old 08-27-2004, 08:23 AM

Re: blinking SES?

Blinking means that your motor needs SERIOUS attention. A steady SES light is no biggy, but blinking means PULL OVER! Good luck man!
Old 08-27-2004, 08:32 AM

i seems to be the same misfire that i've been having since winter (still haven't figured it out).

of about a dozen times that i've gotten this misfire (does if for a few miles then stops) i've only had it cause a blinking SES one other time.

i'm still fearing this is an internal lifter or valve spring problem
Old 08-27-2004, 09:02 AM

It seems to me, that a blinking SES indicated a serious fuel system malfunction, but I can't recall 100% for sure
Old 08-27-2004, 09:23 AM

I had a blinking ses light once, I had put one of the pushrods in wrong so the valve wasent opening that made the ses light blink.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:40 AM

really any ses light should be attended too. Thats it's function to warn the driver of a problem. You have no idea whats going on untill you see the codes. Just because i's not blinking doesn't mena you should not be worried.. /rant

now. a flashing SES light means that you have a missfire. A missfire strong enough to cause catylyst damadge. It's possible that you can disloge peices of the cat from the miss and also do damadge to the motor
Old 08-27-2004, 10:01 AM

yes, a blinking light means, get it looked at ASAFP

be sure you don't let it go
Old 08-27-2004, 10:35 AM

Like they said engine misfire. This happened on my LT1 once, I ended up getting new Ignition wires and Spark plugs as one of my stock ignition wires melted?? eventually I also had to get a new Opti-Spark ignition module. The LS1 doesn't have opti-spark so your in luck. With a scanner tool they'll be able to tell you which cylinder is experiencing the misfires and how many a second. Good Luck
Old 08-27-2004, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Torkman15
I had a blinking ses light once, I had put one of the pushrods in wrong so the valve wasent opening that made the ses light blink.
lol how do you install a pushrod incorrectly? was it not seated on the rocker?
Old 08-27-2004, 07:34 PM

i had a blinking ses light on my LT1 once. i had a plug wire lying too close to the exhaust manifold and it started to burn. replaced the wire and the ses went away.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:34 PM

I just installed all the stuff in my sig and have had no previous problems with the ses light (blinking). Now, if my car idles for more than 2 or 3 minutes i get the blinking ses. When I take off, it usually goes away after about 8 seconds and stays off until my car idles again for 2 or 3 minutes. what do you guys think that means?
Old 08-28-2004, 07:06 PM

From what my friend said (who works at a pontiac GMC dealership) when GM OBDII systems blink it indicates that your dumping raw (unburned) fuel directly into your cats, and inorder to prolong the longevity of the cats, which GM feels are important you should address the situation, most like u have a missfiring plug/wire/bad coil pack....again my friend mad this comment about my 97 Z28, as to whether or not this applies to LS1 OBDII cars i'm not sure...hope this helps though!
Old 08-28-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRob97
From what my friend said (who works at a pontiac GMC dealership) when GM OBDII systems blink it indicates that your dumping raw (unburned) fuel directly into your cats, and inorder to prolong the longevity of the cats, which GM feels are important you should address the situation, most like u have a missfiring plug/wire/bad coil pack....again my friend mad this comment about my 97 Z28, as to whether or not this applies to LS1 OBDII cars i'm not sure...hope this helps though!
What if you don't have cats?
Old 08-29-2004, 12:29 AM

I'm almost certain I read something in the owners manual that referred to a blinking or a steady ses light in my old 'maro. I think it said something to the effect of a steady light is an emissions problem and a blinking light is engine related like misfire or something like that, but I'm not 100% so don't quote me on that one.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by QuickSilver02
What if you don't have cats?

Well the raw fuel would be detected by ur O2 sensors so whether or not u still have cats on the car probably wouldn't matter because those first 2 O2 sensors in ea. manifold are still detecting unburnded gas coming out the exhaust ports....

Quick Reply: blinking SES?